New Preamp Cocktail

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparklesmcgraw

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am looking to change out all the preamp tubes in my Mark IV. It has the same tubes since I have had it and the amp sounds great, but I have no idea how old they are so thought it would be a good idea to get a new set of fresh tubes.

I am still getting my head round all these preamp tube differences, It took me long enough to understand the power tubes and I still wouldn't say I had an extensive knowledge on those.

So basically, what preamp cocktail would suit my Mark IVa combo well? I mainly (try to) play high gain metal. Metallica, Lamb Of God etc.... But do not want my cleans sacrificed to turn my amp into a 1 trick pony. If thats possible!

Is it worth trying a mix of different branded 12ax7's or should I just buy a set of standard Mesa branded preamp tubes? My amp also uses one 12AT7 for the reverb I believe.

Also, once I decide, with the help of you fine people, where is the best place to order tubes in the UK. They don't seem to be that easy to find.

Thanks a lot guys

:D

Howdy,

I'd poke around the tube section of the forum. Many people seem to like the Doug's tube kit. I been using this setup in my IV lately:

V1 Sylvania yellow label ------Raytheon
V2 Mullard or Tungsol
V3 RCA
V4 JAN 5751
V5 RFT

I like the RFT in V1 as well as this old TungSol I picked up but some magic is happening in Channel 1 cranked with that yellow Sylvania. It's real chimy if I roll the gain back to 5-6 and a sparkly blooming 3D crunch comes roaring out of it when dimed w/ Ch. master around 4) same with R2 and for that matter R3....hmmm. Just a few ideas for you. I live in the sticks so running the output high is a non-issue. Crank it and let 'er rip. Be careful, it can be addicting. :lol:

GL

Thanks a lot.

So many choices!

Doug has replied from Dougstubes and said I should go for:

Tung-Sol
High Gain JJ
Penta Labs
Ruby AC5
JAN Philips for the 12AT7

How does that mix sound?

Latest posts

Back