new MKV PG Video

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamme61

Reaction score
http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/20090204/533/Mesa_Boogie_Mark_Five_Amp_Demo.aspx

Nice vid!
Channel 1's FAT mode is absoloutly beautiful. It seems to have some of the LoneStar circuitry.
This is an excellent news...

so... aggressive is a mark4 lead with the presence pushed in :?

nicoroy123 said:
Nice vid!
Channel 1's FAT mode is absoloutly beautiful. It seems to have some of the LoneStar circuitry.
This is an excellent news...

+1 just for channel 1 alone, I want one. When he said it had the Lonestar clean in there and tweed, and the MK clean too, WOW! That's just the first frickin channel! This seems like a killer amp for me. I don't have the cash but, somehow I'll get one.

Nice demo of the features... especially when he messed around with the EQ contour control on ch.3 before realizing that this control wasn't switched in... :lol:

rabies said:
I watched this video a couple times last night. The stupid thing is they don't say what power settings they're using per channel or what tubes (although I'm assuming 6L6 stock).

I wasn't all that impressed with channel 2 and I'm not sure how anyone will be able to demo that at a store with 4xEL34 if it comes stock with 4x6L6...

Overall it has that very thin/tight sounding Mark IV-ish sound to it, but I would definitely consider it an improvement over the Mark IV in terms of versatility...

No pinched harmonics in the demo?

And that's a Tom Anderson guitar but was he using a humbucker??

It's a quick demo with a million people around. It's not meant to be a comprehensive review where they list every single setting they're on for every note they play.

As to it being thin sounding, of course it's gonna sound that way when you're playing at really low volume with the mids scooped. Every video I've seen of this thing has been the amp played at low volume with some Strat type guitar (yes, some have humbuckers) with the mids scooped. One video had just about everything scooped.

You won't get a more comprehensive video demo until they start getting delivered to people who play your style of music and people start demoing them at home. When mine arrives, I may do a quick "metal" demo at our practice spot and upload it.

rabies said:
they need to put a f%&# video on the web site. period. w/ petrucci for 10 min's like they did with timmons. too hard? too lame.

The only thing that's lame is the constant complaining that Mesa doesn't have a full demonstration video up on their website for amp that is not even in stores yet.

Silverwulf said:
rabies said:
they need to put a f%&# video on the web site. period. w/ petrucci for 10 min's like they did with timmons. too hard? too lame.

The only thing that's lame is the constant complaining that Mesa doesn't have a full demonstration video up on their website for amp that is not even in stores yet.

+1

The amp has 6L6s in it. Duh. OE tubes = 6L6s. silly question. it is a mark series amp after all.

he says what power setting he's on if he changes it. not that you'll be able to tell a difference from cam videos between 45w and 90w.

rabies has nothing better to do than ***** about an amp he won't be able to afford.

rabies said:
and why wasn't petrucci there at the mesa booth doing the demos? they get these goofy, church-dressed dorks to demo the amp. i thought I saw malmsteen playing
live for the marshall booth, no?

oh, yes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW-N46fhUUc

oh, yes, Kerry King at the marshall booth as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Cw_694GHM

another marketing disaster for mesa. boogie eat sh!t.

You're right, a pioneering amp company of 40+ years that's one of the most recognizable brands in music apparently doesn't understand marketing. Maybe they should take advice from a bunch of no-names guitarists on an amp forum instead. That'll make those those new amps fly off the shelves faster! :roll:

If you have to bring in a bunch of "celebrities" to draw attention to your products, that's just sad to begin with.

I don't think he did them any favors ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ty-E3pzvc&NR=1

My bro is getting a Mark V ordered. I'll be sure to do a video with it over here once its in. Probably alongside a Splawn Quick Rod.... that should be fuuuuuuun!

Fat Clean is the way to go, btw. :) I'm just teed that they didn't fix the fact that Channel 1 Tweed sucks 80% of the reverb out of the tone. That just kills me!

rabies said:
and why wasn't petrucci there at the mesa booth doing the demos? they get these goofy, church-dressed dorks to demo the amp. i thought I saw malmsteen playing
live for the marshall booth, no?
I thought I heard somewhere (maybe the Timmons video) that artists are contractual obliged to endorse these products at events like NAMM.

The nice thing about the "church-dressed dorks" is you can actually hear the amp. I'm not sure what I was listening to on the Malmsteen and King videos.

I'm guessing Petrucci wanted to be home with his family. It's not like mesa does signature amps... Kerry king has a Sig Marshall, and Malmsteen needs press. I wouldn't think they are contractually obligated to show up at the Mesa booth during, otherwise we'd probably have a video of Andy Timmons, or Chevelle, or Killswitch playing these amps. There are a number of players though that are probably contractually obligated to do Clinics, like Timmons and Petrucci, where I'm sure you'll get a much better feel (hearing) of the amps.

I hope they do some Clinics soon.

nicoroy123 said:
Channel 1's FAT mode is absoloutly beautiful....

This was my first, and most persistent thought during/after demoing it at NAMM myself. The clean channel on this thing is stunning, particularly on FAT. Like, face-meltingly stunning. Plug in, twist a knob or two, flip to the neck pickup, and magically the thing was spitting out the best (to my ears, obviously) clean channel I have ever had the pleasure of playing through, and probably the best I can remember hearing played live as well. It's terribly hard to judge the rest of it at low volumes in a convention center through a 1x12 though ;p

As for the marketing strategy, this was my first year out there and I was surprised a bit at the Mesa thing too, but perhaps that's just how they work. Not much glitz and glamour, just "hey, here's our stuff." They don't seem to really push the whole artist-endorsement side of things either, with sig amps and all that jazz. It seems to work pretty well for them though so I guess it's hard to really argue :) Since everybody and their mother plays Boogies anyway, I dunno how helpful it'd really be for them to invest in celebrity and spectacle as heavily as some other companies, especially when Mesa essentially is NOT competing for market share with the majority of the product line from a company like Marshall.

TemporarilyStairs said:
nicoroy123 said:
Channel 1's FAT mode is absoloutly beautiful....

This was my first, and most persistent thought during/after demoing it at NAMM myself. The clean channel on this thing is stunning, particularly on FAT. Like, face-meltingly stunning. Plug in, twist a knob or two, flip to the neck pickup, and magically the thing was spitting out the best (to my ears, obviously) clean channel I have ever had the pleasure of playing through, and probably the best I can remember hearing played live as well. It's terribly hard to judge the rest of it at low volumes in a convention center through a 1x12 though ;p

As for the marketing strategy, this was my first year out there and I was surprised a bit at the Mesa thing too, but perhaps that's just how they work. Not much glitz and glamour, just "hey, here's our stuff." They don't seem to really push the whole artist-endorsement side of things either, with sig amps and all that jazz. It seems to work pretty well for them though so I guess it's hard to really argue :) Since everybody and their mother plays Boogies anyway, I dunno how helpful it'd really be for them to invest in celebrity and spectacle as heavily as some other companies, especially when Mesa essentially is NOT competing for market share with the majority of the product line from a company like Marshall.

I like this about Mesa. It's a reason that even though I'm selling my Mesa, I'll always be a part of the Mesa "family" in spirit if not substance: they let the amps speak for themselves. There's no poseur horseshit, tribal jutte, or limited one-offs by artists who don't actually use their amps, just to make money.

Latest posts

Back