new MKV PG Video

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rabies said:
Kaz said:
I like this about Mesa. It's a reason that even though I'm selling my Mesa, I'll always be a part of the Mesa "family" in spirit if not substance: they let the amps speak for themselves. There's no poseur horseshit, tribal jutte, or limited one-offs by artists who don't actually use their amps, just to make money.

That's a good point. Why are you selling your roadster?

Into a different sound right now. Not because the Roadster isn't a great amp. I'm really into the Splawn sound right now.

Incidentally the Quick Rod is what I'm getting. They are -basically- very hotrodded Marshalls but I think on the higher gain ones/settings they have their own thing going on really. They can go anywhere in gain from like AC/DC to Lynch Mob type shreddy stuff. :) Some of their amps like the Nitro do more of that bassy modern thing. Joel @ KSE just took possession of a couple for his touring rig.

The older ones (much older, like pre 2005 I think) used Mercury Magnetics' trannies. The newer ones use Heyboer.

I can't really make that comparison; I'm not familiar with the Silletto at all (save for one brief go with a Stilletto Ace). From what I've heard, the stilletto is very toppy and harsh to my ears.

rabies said:
so how would you compare it to a Stiletto II in terms of dynamics and touch sensitivity?

The Quickrod does the high gain Marshall sound well. It's tight and focused, but also very mid-hump oriented. Clean channel is nothing to brag about, primitive effects loop. The Stiletto has a superior clean channel, a lot more versatility, more natural sounding to my ears. People will argue over dynamics from now to eternity.

As a side note, I'd suggest starting a separate thread as opposed to turning a Mark V thread into a "Splawn vs Stiletto" comparison thread.

rabies said:
I've heard good things about splawn and checked out their website (quickrod was the name of one amp?)

So how different are those from JCM 800's? Are they hot-rodded Marshalls, basically? What brand of trannies do they use?

Marshall on speed. Only played a quick rod at the store last week never tried a nitro. It felt very hot rodded Marshall. If I was in the market for a Marshall I think I would just jump to a splawn. I had a JCM 800 around 86 and I hated it. Think I would take an XTC over both though.....

Latest posts

Back