New Lone Star Special, High Freq. ringing w/ Les Paul

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary K

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just bought a new Lone Star Special 1x12 "compact cabinet" combo.

For the most part, I like how the amp sounds.

For cleans however, I'm getting a trebly high frequency ringing sound along with with the chords being played. It is noticable enough to be annoying.

I tried a Gibson Les Paul and two different Ibanez Artist guitars with it, and got the same "ringing" sound. I also plugged in a 1x12 Mesa extention cab and unplugged the internal speaker, same result.

I also have a Nomad 55 4x10, and it does not have this ringing with the same guitars.

I'm a bit spoiled as years ago I had a Orange (Class A) half-stack, and I know exactly how sweet that amp sounded.

Does the LSS have a tendancy to over-treble or add ringing? Might I have a bad one? Anybody else run into this?

Thanks very much,
-Gary K

+1 Ned. Preamp tube is my vote as well. Try uplugging your guitar and turn up the volume...see if you can get the amp to "ring" with no input. Tap on the preamp tubes (lightly) with a pencil and see if one is noisy.

Hi,

I solved the problem, I returned the LSS, and purchased a Mark IV.

I could not "warm up" to the LSS, try as I did. I came to the conclusion that I favor the 6L6 and EL34 tube sound.

I have been running the Mark IV in Class A Triode mode, with (2) 6L6s and (2) EL34s, and I am liking it more than I did the LSS.

The Mark IV was $1399 USD at Guitar Center, it was marked $1799, and my salesperson looked it up and said it was discounted because it is not a regularly stocked item. :)

Thanks,
-Gary K

Latest posts

Back