New here - sharing my story

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetdriver

Reaction score
Hey everybody. I am a former Boogie owner that is saving up to rejoin the pack. Thought some of you might get a kick out of my story.

My Mesa Boogie history goes back to high school. Back in the early nineties I was playing in a metal band while in high school. My cousin was a local musician and Mesa Mk III owner. I loved his sound, and new early on I wanted a Boogie. My current (at that time) Peavey 2X12 setup wasn't cutting it. So I saved.... Then one day I found an ad for a local guy selling a Mesa Boogie amp for $400. I thought, man this could be a good deal. Now, I loved Boogies, but didn't know much about their history, etc.

So, I show up at this guys house with my guitar. He gets the amp out. Its a Mesa Mk IIC+ shorty head. (I did not know how awesome this was at the time). We hook it all up and I play it, and am instantly sold. I hand over the $400 cash. He tells me that this was the first time he's ever heard it played. He is the original owner, with all original paperwork, including literature with Santana on it, and letters from Randall Smith (even a xmas card!). Apparantly, back in the early eighties when he ordered it, his house was broken into the day after he received it. Luckily, it was in the closet with the cover on it, and was overlooked by the burglers. Everything else was stolen. So, not having a lot of money, and expecting another kid, he never replaced his equipment, but held off on selling the amp till then.

So, I purchased a mint MkIIC+ head and cab (metal criss cross grille deal with EV's in it - weighed a TON) for $400. I proceeded to play and gig with this amp...loving it every minute. Sounded awesome.... But a few years later, I was making a career change. I was a poor flight instructor who needed cash. So, I parted with my amp for slightly more than I paid for it. I included all the original papers, etc. to some wide eyed college kid. I thought I made out pretty good, maybe $200 profit on an amp that I used for few years. :roll:

Later, I bought a DR... and had that for a while but still missed my IIC+

Now, I am wanting to buy another Boogie. I have since learned what a great deal I got on that amp, and how stupid I was for selling it. I kick myself every day for that. I had no idea at the time that it was such a coveted amp.

Oh well. Hopefully someone is appreciating it right now. Hopefully good Karma will come to me soon! :lol:

I used to work in a music store. Over and over and OVER I'd see people get married, have a kid or two, and come in and sell their gear. A few years later, they'd reappear to buy new gear back, one piece at a time, trying to get back to where they started. Of course, this time they had a brand new minivan to get the stuff home.

Yeah. At least with a minivan I could haul it around :)

At the time, I remember thinking that the Mk II was kind of a one trick pony. 2 basic channels, no real fx llop. This was at height of the refrigerator sized rack gear rig. You know, the grass is always greener.

Not sure what I'll get now. Interested in a Stiletto Ace. Also in a Mark IV.

I'm playing a Line 6 Flextone IIXL combo now. ( I know...don't say it).

I want to get back to a quality tube head, and a few choice floor fx and thats it.

A Mark IV atop a recto 2X12 looks awfully good. **** G.A.S.! :)

jetdriver said:
So, I purchased a mint MkIIC+ head and cab (metal criss cross grille deal with EV's in it - weighed a TON) for $400.

I parted with my amp for slightly more than I paid for it. I thought I made out pretty good, maybe $200 profit on an amp that I used for few years.

I have since learned what a great deal I got on that amp, and how stupid I was for selling it. I kick myself every day for that. I had no idea at the time that it was such a coveted amp.

I hate to rub it in, but...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-mark-IIC-amplifier_W0QQitemZ300125959493QQihZ020QQcategoryZ43374QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

visualrocker69 said:
jetdriver said:
So, I purchased a mint MkIIC+ head and cab (metal criss cross grille deal with EV's in it - weighed a TON) for $400.

I parted with my amp for slightly more than I paid for it. I thought I made out pretty good, maybe $200 profit on an amp that I used for few years.

I have since learned what a great deal I got on that amp, and how stupid I was for selling it. I kick myself every day for that. I had no idea at the time that it was such a coveted amp.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-mark-IIC-amplifier_W0QQitemZ300125959493QQihZ020QQcategoryZ43374QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wait until life hits you. You might not even be able to afford make up.

Boogiebabies said:
visualrocker69 said:
jetdriver said:

Wait until life hits you. You might not even be able to afford make up.

In that event, I'll move to Newark, NJ and become a used car salesman. :p

That is a sad story....I hope you find your tone again with a new amp! I am partial to the Mark IV myself.

Welcome to the board :)

visualrocker69 said:

3000$ wtf?!?!?!?!?!

I wonder how much will a IIC+ be worth in letssay, 20 years.. :shock:

Mrmot said:
visualrocker69 said:

3000$ wtf?!?!?!?!?!

I wonder how much will a IIC+ be worth in letssay, 20 years.. :shock:

I'd safely say 10,000 and up, depending on condition. Don't forget inflation.

Oh man...that brings a tear to my eye. My Boogie looked just like that one.

Absolutely MINT.

Shame...

Now I have a good excure to get a Mk IV. AND NEVER SELL IT!

Latest posts

Back