New Cabinet

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sideburns

Reaction score
I am really really wanting a new cabinet. I have a Line 6 Flextone (Vetta) cabinet and the construction is good, but the speakers are awful! I know they are celestions, but they seem ultra harsh I can't take it anymore! :evil: I plugged it into a B-52 cab today and that even sounded better than mine! :shock: I watched a band the other day with the Mesa standard (is that the oversized one). His amp sounded huge! Question is, what kind of speakers are in the oversized, and could I just put those in my current cabinet and get closer to the same sound without spending between $600-$700 for a mesa cab? When I had the Line 6 HD 147, the cabinet could get huge low end growl. But with my dual rectifier, it's not getting that thump that I love. I know the amp is perfectly capable of that. I'm just lost I guess. I live in Wyoming, there aren't really any dealers here of any kind. If you want to know what I'm looking for this is my band ( www.myspace.com/somedayslater )and I'm the one playing the little riff in the verse. I love that it's not super trebly. Maybe I'm weird. We used a WAY old marshall cab that is super hard to find now:

http://www.blastingroomstudios.com/gfx/stacie2/images/Marshall%20Cab%201%20(01)_1.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated!

The Recto Standard and Traditional cabs come with Celestion Vintage 30's. The Standard cab being the larger of the two! For what it would cost to replace speakers, I'd recommend just splurging a little more to get the whole shebang! A lot of the tone from Mesa cabs is from the build quality! Oh ya, you never mentioned, what head are you playing through? I just prefer to keep things matched. :wink:

Other cabs to consider are Framus Dragon, Splawn and Bogner. Splawn being the cheapest of them all but on par with quality and tone. I'm thinking of getting rid of my Mesa cab and get the Splawn straight cab. Cabs do make a difference.

He said in his post he is playing with the dual rectifier. As for your question Jbird was spot on. Mesa's have Vintage 30 speakers and for the price to replace your speakers, might as well get yourself a new cabinet. Also might want to check out www.avatarspeakers.com
They are supposed to be very good cabinets for 1/2 the price of the mesa and use the same speakers.

Thanks for all the input guys! I'm curious though. I also have an old ampeg v412 cabinet w/ vintage 30's but my dual rec sounds awful through that. Could that be because of the construction of that particular cabinet? Yeah I've heard goog things about all those cabinets you all listed. Also, what about an Orange? There's only one store here in my town that sells 412 cabinets and they have both Orange and Madison whatever that is. Thanks again!

Apparently there's a store here that just got the Mesa endorsment or whatever. I'll go try and play through one of their's and see a difference. I just am not looking forward to $899 :shock: We'll see though.

sideburns said:
Thanks for all the input guys! I'm curious though. I also have an old ampeg v412 cabinet w/ vintage 30's but my dual rec sounds awful through that. Could that be because of the construction of that particular cabinet? Yeah I've heard goog things about all those cabinets you all listed. Also, what about an Orange? There's only one store here in my town that sells 412 cabinets and they have both Orange and Madison whatever that is. Thanks again!

In my opinion, the Orange 4x12 is one of the nicest cabs I've ever played next to the Bogner 4x12. Absolutely outstanding.

Funny, I was going to offer my ampeg v412 with vintage 30s to you for a good price. It sounds decent with my road king combo when the combo speakers are used at the same time as the vintage 30s. Sounds much better with the TSL 100 I'm selling.

Concerning V30s, it seems all are not created equal. See this recent thread:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=7159&start=0

Latest posts

Back