New Avatar Cabinet

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howitzer

Reaction score
Hey, Just trying to help you all out!

I just ordered my second Avatar speaker cabinet to finish my rig off (finally!).

Avatar is now offering a "Vintage" styled cabinet, it looks like an old Marshall cabinet, or the Bogner cabs, with black tolex, and a wheat grill.

If you were interested in Avatar before, but didnt like the looks, here you go:

vintage%20412.jpg

By the way, my avatar cab with vintage 30's sounds on par with a traditional recto cab, in my opinion. Great deal.

Merry Christmas![/list]

Howitzer, what kind of tolex is on the avatar vintage cabs? Is it the bumpy kind like you find on a marshall or the smooth kind like you find on a mesa? Thanks.

my avatar cab with vintage 30's sounds on par with a traditional recto cab

I hear that alot from the gang at HC. Alot of them swear by these cabs, im interested as well. I only need another 4x12 to finish off my rig as too.

I havent gotten this yet, I ordered it last monday - Im hoping it comes today.

Amps: Mark IV, And a 6505+. I just recently sold my single Rectifier. I played all three through a traditional cab, and through my current avatar (it is one of the fender-esque looking ones) and it was on par.

They have the same:

Wood (13 ply birch)
Construction (Dado? I cant remember, if you compare the mesa and the avatar you can see.)
Speakers (some say the c90 is a huge difference - It is miniscule to my ears).

Obviously there might be some extra bracing on the mesa, and the avatar is smaller, but they really sounded equal on all accounts to me.

On the avatar cab I have now - It is bumpy Tolex, More like a fender.

Ill give a report when I get this thing, I have a show on Saturday night and will be cranking it, if it gets here in time : D

Hope that helped guys.

I've been using Avatar bass cabinets for several years. Dave is fantastic to deal with and he has a great product. I have yet to order one of his guitar cabs, but the vintage cabs look extremely cool. I'm considering a 2x12 for a small setup.

I can't wait to hear the tone report on the new 4x12.

Man that thing is really sweet. I am thinking of ordering a Roadking and after seeing that cabinet it makes me want to order it Black with tan. would that be right to match that cab ?

From what I have read on the new Avatar 4x12's is that cab comes from Mojo . Avatar loades them with whatever you choose for speakers(well,not E.V.'s or the higher price Celestions) it's $478.00 + $49.00 to ship.

In a world where it seems any decent name branded cab is over $1000.00,this might be a deal.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/vintage%20g412.htm

It IS a bargain, I DARE you all to buy one, there is a 14 day money back garuntee, no questions asked, So you really have nothing to lose.

I just got my cab in, I will post a review as soon as I get it hooked up (hopefully Tuesday)

Howitzer said:
It IS a bargain, I DARE you all to buy one, there is a 14 day money back garuntee, no questions asked, So you really have nothing to lose.

I just got my cab in, I will post a review as soon as I get it hooked up (hopefully Tuesday)

You bought the cab I listed the link for?
If so,hows it look.?

Looks like a marshall cab. The wheat grill is a lot more yellow than what my computer is showing on that picture. Since mojo is making the cabs, im thinking I can switch it to black, without the huge logo, pretty easily and cheaply, also.

just got my AVATAR Vintage 212 loaded with 1 V30 and 1 G12H30.im using a Stiletto Deuce with it ,sounds great

Congrats Fbomb !

Post a pic or a clip if you can. Can you hear the different sounds that each speaker is giving you ? Describe it if you have time.

Thanks ! Tim

Howitzer, I spoke with Avatar today about doing a 4x12 cab with a Salt & Pepper grill. They said it would be the first they have done(meaning they would do it in house) and it is a $50.00 price increase.

Also,about who is making the new vintage cab,they told me"mums the word" but, Dave did post on Harmony Central that Mojo is doing there other style of cabs.

Let me know how it sounds man !

here it is my new AVATAR 212 CLOSED BACK.i moved from using my TREMOVERB COMBO speakers which are 2 CELESTION V30's. this thing here sounds so much better,more full ,more bottom. the craftsmanship is a 10,the sound is a 10. i would buy another, great cabinet,i recomend it.

amp1cl4.png
[/img][/code]

yes closed back, it took six days. when i got it the first thing i did was take the back off to make sure it had the speakers i ordered,it did. the inside of the cab is as nice as the outside.

Okay, Got the cabinet hooked up, again, its the Vintage 4x12 with hellatone 60's (broken in v30's).

First off, as I have said before, these cabinets sound on par to the Mesa cabinets, except they are a bit smaller, so tighter bass response.

That didnt change.

So, it is still a great cabinet - they just made it a little better!

This cabinet is about an inch thicker than the other cabinet, and seems to get a tiny bit more girth.

The whole cabinet is aimed up at a small angle, maybe 85 degrees? It helps hear the tonal qualities a lot better. This is great for me, as I Love the bass response I get when having the cabinet on the floor, this is almost as good as having a slant cabinet.

They are using different handles now, on the traditional cabinet (from Avatar) the handles were too small, and if you didnt pick it up correctly, it would hurt my hands.

The wheat grill is growing on me. I will probably buy one more cabinet this year with v30s/g12h like fbomb. Mojo sells the grillcloth of just about any color you want, so that will be a fun project in the future. The logo is huge and needs to come off - lol!

PRS1999, you are lucky, when I ordered my cab, they said they couldnt do a different color grill, AT ALL. Honestly these cabinets are a great deal either way, I highly reccomend them. Do what I did, Call and ask for dave himself, he is a straight shooter, and he has upper management written all over.

Lastly, I will go back to my original challenge. There is a 14 day money back garuntee. I DARE ANYONE TO BUY THIS CAB, it is just as good as any other cabinet, and now looks great, For a great price. What do you have to lose?

Okay, Got the cabinet hooked up, again, its the Vintage 4x12 with hellatone 60's (broken in v30's).

First off, as I have said before, these cabinets sound on par to the Mesa cabinets, except they are a bit smaller, so tighter bass response.

That didnt change.

So, it is still a great cabinet - they just made it a little better!

This cabinet is about an inch thicker than the other cabinet, and seems to get a tiny bit more girth.

The whole cabinet is aimed up at a small angle, maybe 85 degrees? It helps hear the tonal qualities a lot better. This is great for me, as I Love the bass response I get when having the cabinet on the floor, this is almost as good as having a slant cabinet.

They are using different handles now, on the traditional cabinet (from Avatar) the handles were too small, and if you didnt pick it up correctly, it would hurt my hands.

The wheat grill is growing on me. I will probably buy one more cabinet this year with v30s/g12h like fbomb. Mojo sells the grillcloth of just about any color you want, so that will be a fun project in the future. The logo is huge and needs to come off - lol!

PRS1999, you are lucky, when I ordered my cab, they said they couldnt do a different color grill, AT ALL. Honestly these cabinets are a great deal either way, I highly reccomend them. Do what I did, Call and ask for dave himself, he is a straight shooter, and he has upper management written all over.

Lastly, I will go back to my original challenge. There is a 14 day money back garuntee. I DARE ANYONE TO BUY THIS CAB, it is just as good as any other cabinet, and now looks great, For a great price. What do you have to lose?

Latest posts

Back