New Amp Day: Mesa Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonVolt

Reaction score
I was bad. Really bad. I was supposed to be out Christmas shopping for my wife over the weekend. Traffic was utterly horrendous so I decided to stop by the local Fender shop to see if they had anything cool before I made my way to the mall. So I walk in and make my way to the amp room and there sitting on the floor was a used Mesa Mark IV wide-body combo in remarkably good condition. This isn't an amp I usually see on the used market in stores so I had to pinch myself to make sure it was real. Unsure of what to do next I grabbed a guitar and plugged it into a 4x12 - and commenced to **** thy pants. **** all in them. The Lead Channel on this amp is a fire breather. It's more open than my Mark V, more raw sounding, less compressed. The gain has way more growl to it. Talked them down $100 and walked out the door with it. Shame on me.

I'm going to call Mesa today and see how much a new head-shell will cost me to convert it. I hate combos.

The pic is the amp sitting in the backseat of my truck before I got it home and cleaned all the dust off of it. It's in mint condition now that the dust is gone.

yIRdVi7.jpg

Enjoy it! I love my Mark IV. Best amp I ever owned.

It was about this time of year last year when I went into a pawn shop with my wife promising her I wouldn't buy anything but walked out with my first ever Boogie, a Mark IVB with EV and Road case for $650.00. It changed my life. Wife got her diamond ring that day, I got a new reason to pay more guitar.

Markedman said:
It was about this time of year last year when I went into a pawn shop with my wife promising her I wouldn't buy anything but walked out with my first ever Boogie, a Mark IVB with EV and Road case for $650.00. It changed my life. Wife got her diamond ring that day, I got a new reason to pay more guitar.

$650? **** - I payed $1,200 for this Mark IV.

That's actually about the right price for these. Once in a while you hear about people getting great deals like the 650$ one, or people saying the "average price should be 800$" or whatever, but the real person on the street price is around 1200$ these days. That's what I paid for mine on ebay.

Classic tube guitar amps will outlive us all. Unlike some things, old amps do NOT become "obsolete" just because new generations have come after them. A MkIV will always be a MkIV. 8)

Happy New Year and enjoy your Mark IV(b).
I have had mine since 2000. I paid $1599 for it new when I bought it.
This would be one amp that would be hard to let go. Even though I have a Mark V half stack, I still enjoy the Mark IV combo just as much. Besides that, it is killer thought the 412 cab. Just as incredible with a 1x12 extension cab, or just by itself.

Mine still looks like new. Sounds even better now with age as it did when I first got it.

Congrats on picking your BOOGIE. :shock:

Well I hate to say it but channel 3 smokes my Mark V... It's no contest. Ive had my V for 3 years now and always rolled my eyes at the IV snobs.

(they were right)

SonVolt said:
Well I hate to say it but channel 3 smokes my Mark V... It's no contest. Ive had my V for 3 years now and always rolled my eyes at the IV snobs.

(they were right)

"Snob" is a dirty word on this board, be careful. The lead channel in the IV can be fine tuned more than the Mark V. This can be a good AND bad thing. If you find yourself constantly tweaking your lead channel, it is possible to paint yourself into a bad tone corner. At this point you will have to back up and punt, starting all over again on your quest. Rinse and repeat, as they say. :wink:

congrats. the mark 4 is a great amp. I also have a carvin legacy and a marshall tsl100. the mark 4 holds its own. I just finished rewiring it tonight.
funny part is I bought the imbuya hardwood combo for $750. sold the footswitch for $150, and the combo shell for $350.
so I think I got one of the best deals around on a mark 4. :D I think I paid around $300 for the simul-sat.
here's a pic
11939468883_32e0b4cb6e_o.jpg

hirah said:
congrats. the mark 4 is a great amp. I also have a carvin legacy and a marshall tsl100. the mark 4 holds its own. I just finished rewiring it tonight.
funny part is I bought the imbuya hardwood combo for $750. sold the footswitch for $150, and the combo shell for $350.
so I think I got one of the best deals around on a mark 4. :D I think I paid around $300 for the simul-sat.
here's a pic

If I could get prices like that consistently, I'd buy 5 of each and sell some of the spares! :shock:

I had a TSL100 and couldn't bond with it. Had a nice crunch sound, but too much high end screech and not enough girth for leads, the EQ wouldn't adjust enough to correct it and I don't believe in relying on pedals for the fundamental tone. I even had my TSL modified slightly to tame the top end, but it still wasn't enough. I guess I just have Mark series midrange lust in my blood, I am positive I'll have at least 1 more Mark before 2014 is over (a Mark IV and possibly a backup Mk III). 8)

Happy new amp day!!

It's nice to read all this love for the Mark IV. I've had mine for over 15 years, and considered selling it when I played a Mark V (mainly because of the improved Crunch channel). I still feel like the Crunch channel on the Mark IV is not very useful, but I love the Lead channel enough to make up for it. And **** that thing is loud!

It's kind of funny - a few years after I bought my Mark IV, I bought a Marshall JCM600 combo in an attempt to simplify - I was young and frustrated wit hthe complex setup of the Mark IV. Now that I'm a little older and a touch wiser, I have come to appreciate all the options the Mark IV offers - and I find myself wanting independent channels and EQ's on other amps.

Back