New 2 90 user pre amp question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badbrad666

Reaction score
Hey everyone I just got a simul class 2 90 and I wanna use it to power my line 6 pod hd500 pedal is this even possible? Or do I need a pre amp as well? I really want to use the pedal for amp modelling and have the 2 90 for the power amp! Also I need to find the foot switch for the 2 90 all the ones on eBay don't ship to Canada and that's where I am!! Can anyone help me??

I ran my boss me 50 into my 20/20 and it is the best that pedal has ever sounded. Try connecting hd500's output L to 2:90 input A, output R to 290 input B, make sure you have both channels connected to a load (stereo cab or two cabs) and make sure and turn power amp and speaker modeling
off in the hd500. Should be about the best the pod can sound, but keep in mind it will now sound like <insert amp model here>'s preamp into a simul class power amp. Good luck!

PS: for foot switches, any tip to ground switcher should work for the deep/modern/half drive.

Thanks for the help!! So I can't just hook up to my 4x12 cab ?? Your saying I should hook up to a stereo cab or two cabs?? I just want to make sure I hook it up right.... What are some good stereo cabs??

Guitar --> HD500 --> 2:90 --> Cab.

I think he is reference slightly (as so the 2:90 manual says as well) that if you use a mono setup, you will be using one channel of the 2:90. The best way to treat the other channel is to not have anything hooked to it, turn the level all the way down, and turn the presence control all the way up. This is from page 5 of the manual. If you run stereo, then you just hook both sides up.

JMMP walked you through a stereo setup, and since the HD500 is stereo why not take advantage of it. If you run stereo you will need two speakers. One speaker for the left side and one speaker for the right side. This could be one cab with two speakers and each speaker has its own jack (stereo), or a 4x12 cab with one side (2x12) being one the left side and the other 2x12 speakers being the right side.

Just match up the ohms. There is some play in Ohms. On the back there are 8 ohm and 4 ohm jacks. Just find what the ohms are for your cabs and put them in the right spot.

My setup, I have a 2x12 cabinet, the Mesa recto cab. I bought a add-on that let me switch the 2x12 cabinet to a stereo setup instead of both speakers being wired together. Then I one stereo. In this particular cab they speakers are 16 ohm's per speaker. It is ok to run a 16 ohm speaker in a 8 ohm jack on the 2:90, but it is not ok to run a 4 or 2 ohm speaker in the 8 ohm jack.

If you need help with the speaker setup after you get some speakers, just post and we will help with the ohm numbers.

Hells YESSSSSS !!! You guys helped tremendously I had an idea how to hook it up but wanted to make sure I definitely plan to go with the stereo set up I mean why not!!!! I guess the pod sounds amazing in stereo

Badbrad666 said:
Hells YESSSSSS !!! You guys helped tremendously I had an idea how to hook it up but wanted to make sure I definitely plan to go with the stereo set up I mean why not!!!! I guess the pod sounds amazing in stereo

Try putting a short delay (Petrucci uses 7ms) on one channel of the stereo feed. If it's once cab you're using, it may sound like a phaser or flanger stuck, but if it's 2 cabs with a little distance between them, it will sound MASSIVE!

Try putting a short delay (Petrucci uses 7ms) on one channel of the stereo feed. If it's once cab you're using, it may sound like a phaser or flanger stuck, but if it's 2 cabs with a little distance between them, it will sound MASSIVE!

I didn't know he did that. I will have to try that, although I do not think my G Major can accomplish it. What processor/gizmo will delay an entire signal by ms?

getwidth said:

I didn't know he did that. I will have to try that, although I do not think my G Major can accomplish it. What processor/gizmo will delay an entire signal by ms?

Petrucci has some spectacular delay units, and enough that he may have one special one for just delaying one side of his stereo rig. I worked out a possible way to do it in the gmajor2, but it requires that all delay be on one side of the output.

For the OP it is rather easy, as you just insert a delay unit in front or behind one of the amps (if you're using a two amp rig), or on one side of the stereo "flow" in the graphical area. Voila, huge tones.

getwidth said:
I can't think of what you mean by "OP". I am sure i'm sounding stupid, but what is OP?

I think it means "original poster." In this case, Brad with the HD500.

In my limited experience a Mesa 2:90 power amp kicks *** for modelers. The deep and modern voicings also help you get really close to whatever amp is being modeled.

There is also a switch on the back of the 2:90 which should be placed at INSTRUMENT nad not LINE.

No. The INSTRUMENT setting is for plugging a guitar directly into the 2:90. Use LINE for connecting the HD500. It's line level.

Jackie said:
No. The INSTRUMENT setting is for plugging a guitar directly into the 2:90. Use LINE for connecting the HD500. It's line level.

This.

Isn't the OP trying to avoid using a preamp in his set up? If so, he should probably use instrument input and adjust level at the pedal. From the manual:
INPUTS B/A:
Here in the upper left corner of the jack panel you'll find two 1/4” insulated jacks. These are
the inputs for pre-amps and/or effects, depending on how you wire your system. You may
drive the 2:90 with your pre-amp directly or choose to come from the last effect in a chain and
drive the power amp this way. Either way is fine and up to your preference.
We have also provided an input sensitivity switch that toggles you between instrument level
and the less sensitive line level position. If you have too much signal in your system by the
time you get to the 2:90, use Line Level. This tends to be the more common position. If your
Pre-amp doesn't have enough send level or you want to plug a guitar straight into the 2:90
use Instrument Level. Yes... you did hear right, you can plug right into the 2:90 with a good
guitar and get a sweet clean rhythm sound. Crank the level all the way up and check out a
vintage solo sound. Use the voicing features in this setup and you just may find yourself
wondering what you need a pre-amp for! Seriously though, the 2:90 all by itself could and
has been used as a stand alone guitar amp. Try that with your standard solid state power
amp!

I believe his question is asking if the POD will supply enough level to the 290 ("do I need a preamp?") The POD is a preamp, although I think it can be configured to run in front of an amp (instrument level). In the setup he is describing (guitar->POD-> 290) the best configuration will be to have the POD output line level, and have the 290 set to "line." When the input is set to "instrument" it makes lower voltages/levels more easily get the amp working at full power. If you feed it line level but have it set to instrument, it's easier to clip the input and the volume control will feel like its off or roaring loud. If you feed instrument level into a line level set 290, you will find that the master had to be set to what should ear splitting volume just to hear it. Running everything at line level means lower noise floor.

Badbrad666 said:
I just got a simul class 2 90 and I wanna use it to power my line 6 pod hd500 pedal

Not the best choice of words - "powering a pedal" - but I believe that means "can I run my HD500 as a preamp into the 2:90 without any other outboard gear".

Now my question is is there a way to run the 2 ninety until I get my pedal to switch the voicing ?

If you want to use voicings, you can make a shorted plug or cable by connecting the sleeve to the tip. You will have to manually change which voicing you want, but it will allow you to audition how each sounds.

If you just want to turn it on and play, you can do that, no foot switches needed.

Latest posts

Back