Need some help finding my groove with the Stiletto! Read!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackieTHEjokeman

Reaction score
I need some inspiration and motivation with my Stiletto. I know that sounds awful. I am a proud owner of a Mark IV and Rectifier which I love both dearly. I bought a brand new Stiletto 3 months ago BLINDLY! I bought it because I wanted a "Marshall" sound, but have heard negative opinions about their reliability. Ever since I got it, I have had a rough time getting a sound that I really like out of it. I am trying to nail that early "Van Halen" sound, with the hopes of getting that Slash and Extreme sound as well. 80's stuff! I have been told (by a Tube dealer of course) that I should change out my stock tubes. Does the tube brand really matter? Aren't tubes....tubes? I am really trying to do everything I can to find my niche with this beast. I need some help...Please contribute your thoughts. Thanks!

I hate to come across as anything other than helpful, but maybe you should sell it and buy a 50w JCM800 (2204). You already have two of M/B's flagship amps! Your amp should inspire you, amigo.

I know. I know. I went through a huge ordeal trying to get this amp...including pissing off my wife! So I want to make sure I give this amp every opportunity before I stick my tail between my legs! :roll:

All tubes are not created equal give Bob from www.eurotubes.com a try i promise you wont regret it. He sales the whole kit for your amp and has a good description of the sound you are shooting for. Shoot him a email and tell him the sound you want he will get back to you pretty quick.

read manual. Look at suggested setting.

Check out other Stilletto owner's settings.

Remember, Stilletto, DR, as well as others M/B amps are much different than Mark IV because other tone controls are interactive with treble control.

socialparasite said:
All tubes are not created equal give Bob from www.eurotubes.com a try i promise you wont regret it. He sales the whole kit for your amp and has a good description of the sound you are shooting for. Shoot him a email and tell him the sound you want he will get back to you pretty quick.

After talking with him, he has given me new hope. I'm ordering a kit today! I'll let everyone know how it goes when I install them and test...Thanks for the referral "parasite".

Hey Jackie.

Is your screen name a reference to Jackie Martling?

I'm gonna be the differing opinion here! I think the Stilletos are Mesas take on a modern EL34 powered amplifier. I don't think Mesa had thoughts of reproducing tones of yesteryear!

jackieTHEjokeman said:
socialparasite said:

After talking with him, he has given me new hope. I'm ordering a kit today! I'll let everyone know how it goes when I install them and test...Thanks for the referral "parasite".
what did he suggest if you dont mind me asking?

Man, call me crazy, but I'm probably the only guy here who isn't crazy about the JJs. :(

When I put their power tubes in my DC-3, my amp lost the sizzle and greasiness that the stock tubes brought out in it; they rounded my tone off too much, IMHO. And their ECC83S in the preamp rounded off the tone too much; the amp sounded muffled compared to the stock tubes...

But that's just my .02uf! I tend to like the russian and chinese stuff in my Boogies! I keep the other stuff for amps with less than 3 preamp gain stages. Whatever you decide, I hope you find what you are looking for.

~F

^^ This is my first experience switching tubes. I don't have any opinions regarding brand or Russian/Chinese...whatever. If I feel that the JJ's don't help, I'll just put the stocks back in. He gave me an interesting take on it which I don't want to say until I've tried it for myself. I want to make an informed comment first.

My suggestion for power tubes would be GT6CA7GE's. These are big bottle tubes, and have a chestier sound, more reminiscent of a 6L6, but without the top end sizzle. It also naturally scoops to a certain degree, and has a big fat bottom, and rounded top end. I think, in an EL34 amp, these are the beefiest.
Then I'd get the GT12AX7M in V1, V2 &V3.....
I would almost guarantee you'll be FAR happier with the amp, especially after seeing what other gear you own......
Good luck!
ax. :twisted:

jackieTHEjokeman said:
socialparasite said:

Your very welcome. Someone on here a while back refered me to him and i have been happy ever since i put them in my dual recto. Let us know how it goes

jackieTHEjokeman said:
axwielding1 said:
My suggestion for power tubes would be GT6CA7GE's.
I can't. There's no power tube substitution on it. Do you mean Groove Tubes for GT?
axwielding1 is saying the GT6CA7s were EL34s. When RCA developed tubes, they're version of Europe's EL34s are 6CA7s. Then, most American Tube companies labeled their EL34s as 6CA7s.

Oh, I must add, axwielding1 suggested tubes GT6CA7GEs (I think) your impression if it's Groove Tubes is correct and made by General Electic so its American made tubes.

Sweet!! I changed the tubes to JJ's E34L's and that made a world of difference! I'm not done yet, I'm taking it to the Mesa store in Hollywood this weekend to get moded...I'll let you all know how it goes.

With my stiiletto i use a mxr 6 band graphic eq and adds so much versitlity...give that a try as well. What model tubes did u end up getting from jj???

Latest posts

Back