Need practice amp - suggestions for small/light Mesa Boogies

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgstrat1

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Bought an Express 5:25 about four months ago and have found a way to get the three sounds I need out of it using a Fulltone GT-500 through the front end of the amp (previous thread).

The only problem I am having now is pedal overload (Boss LS-1 and Boss GT-8 for delay, chorus, volume pedal through the loop, and my Dunlop Cry Baby, the Fulltone, and Boss NS-1 through the front end). Oh yeah, gotta include the footswitch for the Mesa.

I am looking for suggestions re: practice amps. I'm just tired of dragging the 5:25, an acoustic and electric, and EVERYTHING else to practice. I realize that the 5:25 is in all likelihood the smallest/lightest Boogie available, but even if I could find something a little bigger/heavier that I could just keep at practice, that would work well for me.

I love the 5:25, but I am looking for something used that would be somewhat less in $$$. Still need two channels and something that will cut through in practice. Love the class A on the Express, but obviously need to set it to 25 watts to hear it in practice and in the small to medium size clubs where I use it. It sounds fine through the front of house, but usually need to crank it up in our drummer's monitor when we play out.

I will probably ebay my Vintage Thomas Organ Cry Baby, '74 Script logo MXR Distortion + and '75 Dynacomp to help finance the purchase of any used small Boogie.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

+1 subway rocket ....

I have used it as a grab and go practice amp for 5 years now .....

can be had on Ebay in the 350 range ....

Subway rocket is very good. For a little more versatility and just as much cool tone, also look at the DC-3.

sgstrat1 said:
What about an older Studio or F-30?
Can't speak for the Studio, but I have got the F30. Really nice amp. You can probably find a lot of good info on it in here. Haven't tried a 5:25, but I think they are as close as it gets, soundwise. But someone else must correct me if I'm wrong. The 5:25 took the F30's place in the Mesa line up though.
If you can get a F30 I think you would be happy :)
b.r. andershoeg

Studio Caliber DC-2 and F-30 are both in the 45 lb. class. Subway Rocket with a light speaker such as an Eminence Copperhead is just above 30 lbs. I currently own all 3 and the SR is the grab-n-go for sure. The SR, however, is a distant runner-up to the other two in tone and flexibility. My opinion, of course.

If you need two channels, check out the Subway Rocket. I believe it's the lightest two channel combo Mesa ever made. I've used mine for rehearsal and gigs and the only thing I don't like about it is the non-switchable parallel effects loop, which I've never found to be usable.

sgstrat1 said:
Hi folks,

The only problem I am having now is pedal overload (Boss LS-1 and Boss GT-8 for delay, chorus, volume pedal through the loop, and my Dunlop Cry Baby, the Fulltone, and Boss NS-1 through the front end). Oh yeah, gotta include the footswitch for the Mesa.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

To lighten your load keep the 5:25 and decide if you wanna go full analog, or digital, for gigs and rehearsal. I've got a GT-8/Harmonic Converger plus a small analog pedal board. They act as backups for eachother but I prefer the tone of the pedal board thru my Mesa 5:50.

When I need a lot of effects I use the Gt-8 with only a Bad Horsie 2 Wah up front. When I need just a few effects I use my 5:50 & a pedal board (with 7 pedals). I don't use pedals PLUS the Gt-8 together like you're doing and I don't think your Boss pedals are any better than the GT-8's preamps. Your other pedals are - not the Boss ones - an none of them are as good as your amps tones direct.

A 2nd option is to use the 4 cable method with the Gt-8 and then you have the choice of using either the 5:50's preamps or the Gt-8's.

A 3rd option is to use the 5:25 preamps and just use the GT-8 in Manual mode as an effects unit. I do that occasionally too.

All of these options allow you to leave either the GT-8, or a bunch of pedals, at home.

The big advantage of the 5:25 is it's tonal versatility and light weight. You won't find another amp that's better in those 2 areas. With this amp you need less effects/pedals than just about any other amp. You're just loading yourself up with unnecessary pedals/MFX's and not using the amps full capabilities IMHO.

Latest posts

Back