Need opinions on my rig!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lookslikemeband

Reaction score
I've been looking at road case / rack combos for the two heads I play:

I keep one on clean, one on dirty, and pan between the two for "my" sound:

Mesa Boogie Dual Recto Solo (dirty)
Mesa Boogie Dual Recto Trem-O-Verb (clean)

I'm going to have to have one custom made to accomodate the different sized heads (and to fit about 6 spaces of rack gear)

My question is... Would it be easier to just go with two of the same heads?? Either 2 TOV's or two Solo's???

I've even thought about trading/selling the TOV for a Single Recto, since I'm just using it for cleans anyway, and all of my effects are pedal-driven or outboard.

All input is appreciated!!!

Thanks.

Lance

Hey Lance.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "easier". Do you mean easier to build a road case? Not really - they can usually do whatever you need. Do you mean easier to configure? Again, not really, in my opinion. There is no reason you can't use two different heads.

My suggestion to you is be absolutely sure you need two heads for your rig. It doesn't really sound like you do since you stated all your non-clean sounds are coming from outboard gear, and you're using one for clean and one for dirty. Why not just channel switch on one? The reason I say this is that roadcase with two heads is going to be ultra heavy.

I've got a Tremoverb head in a case with a 4 space rack... I haven't put it on the scale, but its both heavy and awkward enough that I can't move it up and down stairs by myself - or with a handtruck. I can barely put it in my 4Runner by myself. Its really limiting, especially if I want to set up somewhere other than where its currently at!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/111db/New-Rig.jpg

BTW, when you have your case made, be sure to contact Mark at http://www.rockhardcases.com. He's made two for me and not only is he a cool guy, but makes nice stuff.

I pan between the two amps to build up transitions, and to scale down from heavier parts... and the blending of the two signals makes my tonal possibilities endless.......

So it's not so much of a *click* ON or OFF.

My pedals are for effects only.... I LOVE my Boogie Distortion!!!

I've been doing it for years, and it works well for me.

So, I guess the answer is yes, I need two amps.

What I mean by easier is that the Trem-O-Verb is obviosly a larger head, so I'd have two head spaces of different size (good-bye re-sale value!!)

So, maybe I should stick with two amps that are the same size (and meet my needs,.....one for clean, one for dirty)??

I'm just wondering about the tonal situation between two TOV's??

Maybe keeping my Dual Recto Solo, and going with, like, a Single Recto Solo???

Thanks!!

Lance

jong -

Thanks for the heads up on the manufacturer!!! They have the best prices I've come across so far!!

(and your rig looks awesome!!!) :!:

Lance

If you are hellbent on using one amp for cleans only, why not pick an amp with better cleans :?:

A single recto will have nicer cleans and has a nicer clean sound than most other high-gain amps, but on the other hand, its not incredibly hard to beat the cleans of a single recto either.

I hear ya. I used to play a Twin for my cleans.

Lately I'm pushin two 4X12's (one dirty, one clean) for larger gigs...

For smaller gigs, I use 2 Mesa 2X12's.

I just LOVE the Mesa sounds I'm gettin'.. :D

Lance

Wow, panning between amps would be really cool. I'm sorry I didn't think of that scenario. Yeah I see your point about needing two!

I wouldn't worry about the different sizes. Just have Mark make it for the slightly bigger size, and have him send enough foam for one side (or both) of the Solo head.

One other thing that I found out after getting mine back, would be to order the depth of the case about 1.5 or 2 inches more than the depth of the head(s). This way, you can drill through the layers and route cables within the rack, so you don't have to route them outside the shelves. I just ordered mine to the depth of the head, and had to do some head scratching when it came to cable routing. You can see how I did mine in this pic: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/111db/New-Rig-back-007-web.jpg

We are lucky enough to have a road crew.

jong - Yeah, I have a single head, 2U case now, and I totally see what you mean. I was tempted to drill a large hole up between the two dividers, but didn't want to kill it's re-sale value (which is ironic, since I'll most likely sell it now that I'm looking for a reaaly big one.)

no soul - No, I haven't tried that one yet. Opinions???

lookslikemeband said:
We are lucky enough to have a road crew.

no soul - No, I haven't tried that one yet. Opinions???

you lucky basitd! Of course, I just sing for my band, and I have lead singer syndrom in the worst way ( I dont move S#!T )

But the Lonestar cleans are BEAUTIFUL! The best Mesa has ever done IMO. If had the cash Id buy one for the cleans alone. You might also want to consider the F-series, whose cleans also are wonderful.

I just think either one would make more sense than a 2nd recto, as either one has "better" cleans, on top of opening other overdriven sounds to your disposal that you wouldnt get in a recto.

Latest posts

Back