Need More Sustain!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scolli

Reaction score
I want to get more sustain from my MESA Roadster head and 4x12 Std Recto rig. Would a compressor help? if so which model?

One point I want to make is that using the same guitar on the bridge pickup, I can get tremendous sustain (although the tone sux) when playing metal with either a Digitech GNX3000 modeller thru a combo amp or a roland cube-30 pratice amp. Just touch the strings with either and it rings for days. The roadster just seems stiff and notes die relatively quickly even on channel 3 or 4 with the gain around 2:00 (this is with no effects just guitar plugged in and reverb on).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Post your settings on all channels and switches on back.

Lots of 'wrong' settings on Rectifiers cause this issue, you don't need a compressor or anything like that, your amp should sustain for days.

What kind of guitar and set up are you using? This matters a HUGE amount.
The wrong string height (too low) or pickup height (too high) will kill sustain 10X faster than any amp setting.

My Carvin CT is a string thru and set up right it plays like a violin thru my Ace if I want it to.

-P

Hey, thanks for the replies

I'm using a Carvin C66 and a Gibson SG standard. While the SG has more sustain than the C66 (as expected), both have more sustain thruough the Cube-30 and GNX3000 than the roadster feel less stiff. Like I said, just touch the strings using those modelers and the notes just jump off the fretboard and sing for days (but the tone is lacking). I've tried a number of settings and the result is the same; here is one setting:

Channel-4 Vinatage
100-watts/recto tracking
Bold setting
Gain 2:00
Treble 1:00
Mid 9:00
Bass 10:00
Prec 12:00
Channel Vol 10:00
Output vol: 10:00

If I max the gain, I get more sustain (still feels stiffer than those modelers), but tone suffers.

One thing I was thinking about is that both the GNX3000 and cube are laden with effects and I'm almost sure a compressor model is in the chain which may be helping sustain.

Thanks again

I welcome any suggestions

Try putting your gain around 1, presence at 11:30 and definetly get your output volume up to at least noon.. you're not getting sustain because you're only getting preamp distortion with that volume setting.

Platypus said:
Try putting your gain around 1, presence at 11:30 and definetly get your output volume up to at least noon.. you're not getting sustain because you're only getting preamp distortion with that volume setting.

thanks, I'll give it a try. Do you think a hotplate would help sustain at lower vol?

scolli said:
Platypus said:

thanks, I'll give it a try. Do you think a hotplate would help sustain at lower vol?

Yes and no. You sacrafice a bit of tone for the extra sustain. As long as you're not attenuating WAY low then you should be fine. There are those who don't like them, personally I use mine all the time.

Try bumping your mids up to about 11:00 just to try it? As with any Rectifier on the Red channel that should have sustain for days!?!? I use the orange channel in vintage mode on my RK and can hold a note out forever.

Just for the heck of it, try this:

Channel 3
Mode: Vintage
Gain 3:00
Treb: 1:00
Mids: 12:30
Bass: 10:00
Pres: 11:30
4x6L6's (full power)
Rectifier: Tubes
Spongy setting

That's my main hard distortion and has tons of sustain. Just try it and see if you get sustain.....

If these solutions don't work, could it be a week preamp tube anyone??

Here's my thought. I use the barber tone press. Very transparent. won't color your sound. Increases sustain for days. If you can afford a boogie. then you should be able to dial in most of what that amp can do. If you have a tube problem then swap them around and see what happens.

Back