Need help with a MK IV!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mule#1

Reaction score
I recently purchased a MK IV widebody combo (maple w/ wicker grille) and from what I've learned here it's a B model. I used to have a rack mounted MK IV and let it go and always regreted it. I do think this model sounds just a little diffrent but I haven't put a lot of time into it. I get a great tone out of my 50 CAL. + and want to use the IV to get a similar tone. I play in two bands one is a Skynrd tribute and the other is origional material in the Gov't Mule style. I have the origional tubes in it now. Any suggestions on settings and tubes? I currently run it @ simul class/triode/harmonics.

for setting have a search around.. i think the main thing you have to work out is the Eq which can change from room to room.. leaning the combo back up against something can create a bandpass with the room (box inside a box ) and make you amp sound huge.. give that ago..

Thanks for the info! I have since made headway with the settings. I really like the sound of class A and twweed power selected.

mule#1 said:
Thanks for the info! I have since made headway with the settings. I really like the sound of class A and twweed power selected.

I prefer tweed power but simulclass. But everyone needs to try that for themselves. As far as other settings, the only tricky part is setting the initial channel gain and balancing the mid and treble eq. Your treble settings on the mark 4 have big effects on gain and tone. Especially the lead channel. In fact, I think the lead channel sounds like *** until you get the treble above 5 but I set mine on 7.

I have noticed how intricate the treble is. The grafix eq is touchy as well. I am going to try tweed in simul class, I also have found I prefer the harmonics over mid gain. Do you pull out the treble on your lead channel?

Back