need help identifying mystery head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SYLrules88

Reaction score
posted this on another site and they recommended i come here with this. this was on sale at a local store in 2001 or 2002 for i think $600-$700 and just last week i realized i know the guy who bought it back then! im surprised he still has it. he never uses it so when i can afford it i may make him an offer.

IMG_1776-1.jpg

IMG_1777-1.jpg

IMG_1779-1.jpg

someone said it might be a .50 caliber. the tubes are 6L6s. any help is appreciated!

It is in fact a non eq/reverb sixty watt mark 2a as you can plainly see on the back photo there is no fx loop!(which was introduced on the mark 2b) I have a mark 2a and 2b head trust me i know!

wow that was fast! you guys are good! thats funny that it actually had tolex on it. so i guess someone removed it and put it in a music store to trick people like me into thinking it might be really old and rare? but hey a mark IIa is still old enough i guess. in mint condition, what would you folks think this would be worth? like i said in my first post it might have sold for $500-$600 but i cant really remember.

on edit: i hear that Mark IIC+ heads are the most sought out by high gain seekers. i myself seek high gain so would i be satisfied with the sound id get from this? ive heard a strat through this head and it sounded great, maybe a little bassy but that can be adjusted. the distortion was pretty crunchy for single coils. wonder what my emg 60a would sound like through it.

I would give this head a miss there are plenty of mesa heads that will do what you are after ie high gain that are going cheap right now with the credit crunch. My mark 2b can do good high gain settings but not without its on board five band eq and this model doesn,t have one of those puppies! the lead channel has to much bass as you have noticed and you can,t really dial it out without the eq.Some people like to put a parametric eq through the fx loop but as i,ve pointed out mesa didn,t introduce an fx loop till the mark 2b! I got a .50 studio caliber quite cheap a couple of months back and as i,ve said old mesa,s can be gotten quite cheaply at the mo try getting a dc ,studio caliber or maybe even a mark 3 if its cheap enough.

ive also got a peavey vtm 60 so i probably dont need this mesa for high gain purposes right now. im a little disappointed, i thought this was a little more unique and also something that i probably wouldn't come across again. oh well, i may buy in the coming months anyway. thanks to everyone for the information though. i definitely know where to come with any mesa question i might have.

That puppy looks pretty rough. I'd sure get it checked out by a tech before you made an offer on it. Given the external condition it may need some work.

I'm with the other folks, you could do much better on ebay or keeping your eye on your local Craigslist. With the economy the way it is you can pick up a really good Mark IIB, Mark III, Caliber or DC in the $500-$800 range and have a MUCH better amp.

Latest posts

Back