Need a big help(suggestion) from you guys....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vertigo_

Reaction score
Well I just sold my mesa 4x12 recto cab(just too big for moving around in a small car) and came down to three choices for my 2x12. (I already have a genz benz 2x12 and the next 2x12 will be paired with it for big shows). I also have a mesa thiele cabinet.

The choices are:

1) mesa boogie 2x12 rectifier cabinet - V30 speakers
2) mesa boogie 2x12 Lonestar 3/4 back cabinet - Black Shadows
3) basson 2x12 cabinet - Eminence Legends

I am playing with a roadster head , which cabinet should I get? Please help me out guys. I play mostly hard rock/heavy stuff..but not metal. A versatile cab would be nice for my setup. I am looking for nice thump for the distortion and smooth cleans.

19834.jpg

104680009_lg.jpg

104690557_lg.jpg

My 2x12 recto cab has sounded good with every amp I've used it with.. I used it with my DR for years and now my C+ and Mark IV.. really nice cabinet.

I cannot comment on the others.. but I never liked the black shadow speaker in the Mark IV.

thanks for the advice...seems like the recto cab is a crowd favorite. Well I have one 2x12 and one 1x12...just want to add another 2x12 that way I can have 4x12 for big shows. And other guitarist in the band will probably take the 1x12 thiele when he gets the mesa stiletto.

so I went over to GC and tried out mesa lonestar and mesa rectifier 2x12 cabinet. Here what I think:

1) the roadster cleans is freaken awesome with a lonestar 2x12 cabinet. Now I know why they say that the roadster channel 1 is based on the lonestar . Simply awesome. channel 4 didnt sound like a traditional recto. it def lacked alot of the low thump. You can feel that the open back cabinet was working it way to take of some of that recto low end. Also even without alot presence the cabinet sounded very bright.

2)the cleans are ok not awesome in the 2x12 recto cabinet. But channel four is awesome. You get the recto growl...and if you ad some presence and take of bass you can get pretty tight , bright distortion. Pretty versatile cabinet.

I am like 50/50 in my choice now!!!!! feeling helpless.....any help/suggestion anyone?

the lonestar cab would compliment the genz benz cab in that you'd have an open back airy sounding cab and a ultra tight heavy metal cab. same theory as the combo + thiele cab thing that us mark guys do.

I was never completely happy with my recto 2x12. it always felt too loose and woofy. I used it with an F50 which is not the tightest of amps though.

What about the Roadking 2x12? 1/2 open with C90 and 1/2 closed with V30.

2x12RKing-bkLG.jpg

Or, ditch the 2x12's, grab another theile and a couple of open back 1x12 compact cabs, and mix and match as needed. You'd need to wire up a serial connection box to make it a 4x12 but thats not difficult.

Man this decision is getting tricky. If I played just one 2x12 cabinet...it would have been the recto cabinet hands down. But its true , mixing lonestar cabinet with genz benz cabinet would be a killer setup. Also I am thinking adding a strat with jbjr(in the bridge) in my arsenal. That would sound great with roadster + recto cab.

I AM GOING CRAZY!

Latest posts

Back