NAD day x's 2...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clutch71

Reaction score
I bought 2. A VTM 60 and a 120. The 60 appears all original including the tubes. The VTM appears all original but was retubed with Svetlana 6L6GC's and 4 Tung sols in the pre-amp. I'll keep both for a while and probably just keep one. Both Silver and Black. Both from "that state up North" as Woody Hayes put it. Drove all the way from Columbus to pick them up. That state is now out of Silver and Black VTM's. This was a cosmetic preference as there were fewer made.

I tried out the VTM 60 and gave it a quick run through. The guy I bought the 120 from had sold both cabs so I couldn't try it. I powered both up very quietly when I got home as it was late. The 60 looks like there's an issue with the loop I didn't catch in the store. Should be a relatively easy fix. I'll into it later today. No issues with the 120. The transormers in these things are HUGE. About the size of canned hams! I'll update when I've had more time with them. Both are pretty clean. Crappy cell phone pic.
IMG00105-20100217-2327.jpg

Memories! The VTM 120 was my first tube amp. That was years ago! Unfortunately, I didn't know anything
about tube amps. Never had it loud enough to realize what it's potential was. I've kind of wanted to get
another someday and give'm another shot. I've read some great things about them. Great score!

Well Migs they were made in the late 80's early 90's. Not sure of the exact years range. They were Peavey's answer to the modded Marshalls from back in the day. The VTM is a 6L6 platform. Probably the most famous player is Kim Thayil. They are described as a JCM 800 on steriods. Single channel amp with a loop. Pre (gain) Post (master volume) Low, Mid, High active tone stack. Presence for the power section. They have a unique feature called Custom Response Modification. They are little dip switches (and I mean little, a tooth pick is perfect for turning them on/off) that actually make changes to the signal routing. Gain 1, Gain 2, Compression, Mid, Low 1, Low, 2, High 1, High 2. Pretty self explanatory and you create your own combination. Two models were made the - VTM 60 and VTM 120. the model number is the watts of the head. Two variations were made, purely cosmetic. Brown and Cream and Silver and Black. The latter is harder to find. People tend to hang on to them. Guess which one I had to like?

I've been interested in a 6l6 platform again. I still love the Marshall, I just wanted a change of pace. These can be had for a very reasonable price for an all tube amp and it's made in the USA. I found the 120 through Craigslist in MI, made arrangements to pick it up and then the 60 popped up on GC's web site in Portage, MI about 45 minutes from the 120. So having never played either, I figured I'd get both and keep the one I liked best.

The 120 was recently retubed. Svetlana 6L6GC's matched specifically for a 120 from the tubestore. Tung Sol's, my personal favorite, for preamps. The 60 has what appears to be the original 6L6 tubes, Jan-Phillips USA made Peavey labled super 6's. The preamps are newer Peavey Made in the USA super 7's/ Not sure of the manufacturer. I've had very little time with either so far. More on that later.

I had the privilege of jamming on these bad boys last weekend (thanks, Dave!) and I still can't get over how great they both sounded. Very heavy, very musical, but with it's own distinctive voice. If you took the Peavey logo off and told people they were "boutique", they'd be raving about them. :)

Dave used a volume pedal to swell into the "Searching with my good eye closed" intro, and **** if it didn't sound right off the CD....Very cool.

Elpelotero said:
Wow Dave! Didn't know you were looking for these. I'm clueless about 'em. Tell me more

Basically anything Soundgarden did up to Superunknown. SICK tone!!!! Better version of a JCM800!!!!

Picked up a 5150 cab for dirt cheap. $250. I prefer the VTM 120 and DSL 50 with the 5150. The 60 I prefer with the Mesa. Have not done a full on crank test with the 5150. The 120 and 60 a very similar. If I had to list a difference it would be that the 60 is slightly tighter and darker, cleans on the 120 are better. We all know that 60 to 120 w is not twice as loud. The 120 has more headroom and is definately louder than the 60, in fact it is the loudest amp I've played to date. Recent Pick
IMG_8507.jpg

very cool, Dave. Thanks for the insight. I'll check out some of the aforementioned tunes to hear it on record.

For the record, that tone can be had for $300-400 depending on the condition. How do you like those apples.
Hanging on to both of mine for while though. If I do sell one it will be the 60. The 120 has the mojo in my opinon. Beefier transformers.

Both mine are near mint :D

Man that sound is like a tank and on the cheap too? I can see a little checking in the Atlanta area for a VTM is in order. Thanks for the info. I WILL have one of those beasts...... And for the price I was going to give for an effects unit... :roll:

Search engine I used to find mine...

http://instrument.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/music.cgi?cat=msg&itm=peavey&fil=vtm&state=&ps=&pe=&submit=+GO+

Sorry Randy, I didn't think you were that interested. Here's it's replacement...

IMG_8639-1.jpg

Still have the Mesa cab though....2x12 going to my little brother so at least it will still be in the family.

Bought the VTM 60 back and had it converted from 6L6 to EL34 and added bias test points and trim pot.

So now it sounds like a crunchier version of the VTM 60. Exactly what I was hoping for.

JF and my little brother preffered the 60 over the 120. I didn't but hey, to each their tone.

So if you thought it sounded sick before Randy, it's even better now!

clutch71 said:
Bought the VTM 60 back and had it converted from 6L6 to EL34 and added bias test points and trim pot.

So now it sounds like a crunchier version of the VTM 60. Exactly what I was hoping for.

JF and my little brother preffered the 60 over the 120. I didn't but hey, to each their tone.

So if you thought it sounded sick before Randy, it's even better now!

Looking forward to it. 8)

Thinking of doing another Amp Shoot out. Got a 1960B I want to put through its paces plus a MXR CAE MC404 wah. Probably not this weekend but next. Dying to hear the 60 full out. Not this Sunday but maybe next.

You up for that Randy?

Latest posts

Back