NAD: 1992 Dual Rec. Blackface (Need Some Info)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so you've swapped out all the tubes. You have checked your signal chain as well from pickups, electronics, patch cable, speaker lead, etc? You know everything is ok with your outlets? Just take a quick inventory of everything before talking to the seller. Maybe call Mesa again?

Excellent info!
I also kinda had the same experience in hearing what i heard in my head. Was 7th grade spanish class i think and a buddie of mine brought in human clay. he was a huge fan a guitar player him self. Let me check out the cd and i heard the first track Are You Ready. And i pretty much moshed in the classroom and looked like a tard.
But till this day altho im not as huge a creed fan, now more Alter Bridge but tremonti in general.... i didnt think that, that would be my goto sound that i continue to keep hearing in my head. Years before even the mere thought was in my head to become a guitar player.

@ Fluff, cant wait to hear what you pull up for clips if you get a 2chan and Stiletto. Ive been tossing around the idea for my next gear expense to be a stilletto Cab, I grew up with a 4x12 half back cab.

YellowJacket said:
OK, so you've swapped out all the tubes. You have checked your signal chain as well from pickups, electronics, patch cable, speaker lead, etc? You know everything is ok with your outlets? Just take a quick inventory of everything before talking to the seller. Maybe call Mesa again?

Yup, I've swapped the tubes and checked my signal chain. I'm only going from the guitar straight into the amp. No pedals at all. My outlets are definitely fine. I've never had this issue with any other Boogie that I've had. I'm gonna call Mesa I think and see how much it would cost to send the chassis in to get looked at, and I'm also gonna contact the seller and see if he'll either offer me a full refund if I send the amp back, or a partial refund to help cover the cost of getting it fixed.

mystidream said:
Thanks for all the info, Jack. You really know a ton about these things. I've got one quick question though. I'm having a bit of a problem with the amp it seems. I went out today to my local GC and picked up all new preamp tubes and re-tubed the head. When I turn the amp on, I usually let it warm up for 1-2 minutes then I flip the standby switch. I'm getting this loud hum that can be heard through the speakers of my 4x12 as well as in the chassis of the amp and the gain on both of the overdrive channels is just not there. The two dirty channels sound like a clean channel with a tiny, tiny bit of dirt thrown in. I called Mesa about it and was told that its probably a bad pre amp tube and I was told to take one that I know was good and go through the preamp tubes one by one to rule out the bad tube. To make a long story short, I did that and none of the tubes are bad. So now I'm not sure what the hum is. Its super frustrating and I'd like to get the amp working like it should be.

Does anyone know what this could possibly be from? I'm not sure why I'm getting all this hum, and I've tried new preamp (and power tubes as well) but I'm at a loss as to what it could be. Thanks guys.

I dunno, man..I'm still gonna have to say it's a tube issue. Just because a tube is brand new doesn't mean it's a good tube. I just ordered 3 12AX7 preamp tubes and received them the other day....1 of them was bad. When I blew a 6L6 power tube on my old Rec, I had the same EXACT issue in which you are describing. I'd give everything a run over again ( and maybe even a few times more) just to know for a FACT that the amp is having other issues, and not tube related.

~Nep~

Neptical said:
mystidream said:
Thanks for all the info, Jack. You really know a ton about these things. I've got one quick question though. I'm having a bit of a problem with the amp it seems. I went out today to my local GC and picked up all new preamp tubes and re-tubed the head. When I turn the amp on, I usually let it warm up for 1-2 minutes then I flip the standby switch. I'm getting this loud hum that can be heard through the speakers of my 4x12 as well as in the chassis of the amp and the gain on both of the overdrive channels is just not there. The two dirty channels sound like a clean channel with a tiny, tiny bit of dirt thrown in. I called Mesa about it and was told that its probably a bad pre amp tube and I was told to take one that I know was good and go through the preamp tubes one by one to rule out the bad tube. To make a long story short, I did that and none of the tubes are bad. So now I'm not sure what the hum is. Its super frustrating and I'd like to get the amp working like it should be.

Does anyone know what this could possibly be from? I'm not sure why I'm getting all this hum, and I've tried new preamp (and power tubes as well) but I'm at a loss as to what it could be. Thanks guys.

I dunno, man..I'm still gonna have to say it's a tube issue. Just because a tube is brand new doesn't mean it's a good tube. I just ordered 3 12AX7 preamp tubes and received them the other day....1 of them was bad. When I blew a 6L6 power tube on my old Rec, I had the same EXACT issue in which you are describing. I'd give everything a run over again ( and maybe even a few times more) just to know for a FACT that the amp is having other issues, and not tube related.

~Nep~

You had the same exact issue where you were getting a loud humming and the gain was gone on both overdrive channels?

mystidream said:
Neptical said:
mystidream said:

~Nep~

You had the same exact issue where you were getting a loud humming and the gain was gone on both overdrive channels?

Yup, same EXACT problem man.

~Nep~

Neptical said:
Yup, same EXACT problem man.

~Nep~

What did the solution to yours turn out to be? A bad preamp tube or a bad power tube? Or something else? I've got 5 brand new preamp tubes in there and I'm still having the problem. The power tubes are new as well. At this point, I'm about to send it in to Mesa and let them figure out what it is. I spoke with the seller and he's willing to cover the shipping to Mesa and the repair charges as well.

Does anyone know how much it costs to have Mesa just look at the amp and diagnose what is wrong?

Mine was only a bad power tube, that's all.

That would suck to send it away, but hey, if your getting charges all paid for,there's nothing that beats that.

~Nep~

Neptical said:
Mine was only a bad power tube, that's all.

That would suck to send it away, but hey, if your getting charges all paid for,there's nothing that beats that.

~Nep~

True. I just called up a few Mesa authorized repair centers in NJ. I think I'm just gonna do that instead of having to ship it out all the way to Mesa. The seller already refunded me $100 towards the repairs, and I'm sure he'll pitch more in if it costs more than that.

Awesome, man. Good to hear that you didn't just give up and give it back to the seller. Plus, getting the charges paid for by the seller to get it fixed is pretty rad. You have an awesome amp right there man. I'd like to hear how she jams when you get it back! Keep us updated.

Lates,

~Nep~

Neptical said:
Awesome, man. Good to hear that you didn't just give up and give it back to the seller. Plus, getting the charges paid for by the seller to get it fixed is pretty rad. You have an awesome amp right there man. I'd like to hear how she jams when you get it back! Keep us updated.

Lates,

~Nep~

Will do bro. Thanks for all the help. I plan on putting up a YouTube demo when I get it fixed. The seller is a great guy and is more than willing to help me out, which is awesome. He already paypal'd me $100 to go towards the repairs. I'm taking it to the tech next week to have him look over it, and hopefully it gets fixed.

That 92' recto looks like it came from the factory yesterday. Was it kept on a safe lock almost 20 years?!
Thanks for the info on tremonti!

P.S. Just read the all posts now... good luck with the repair, it can sure look pretty, but the all thing is in the sound!

boss4 said:
That 92' recto looks like it came from the factory yesterday. Was it kept on a safe lock almost 20 years?!
Thanks for the info on tremonti!

P.S. Just read the all posts now... good luck with the repair, it can sure look pretty, but the all thing is in the sound!

Thanks. It didn't look like that when I got it. It took an hour and a half of cleaning to get it to look like that. I dropped the amp off today, so hopefully it'll get fixed.

Quick Update: I just got the call from the tech and he said everything looks good, and it turns out that one of the new preamp tubes I got at GC is defective. I'm gonna test the amp out on Monday at the tech's place just to make sure everything is good. It'll be nice to have it back in working order.

mystidream said:
Quick Update: I just got the call from the tech and he said everything looks good, and it turns out that one of the new preamp tubes I got at GC is defective. I'm gonna test the amp out on Monday at the tech's place just to make sure everything is good. It'll be nice to have it back in working order.

Just as I said. :wink:

Awesome. Let us know how she cranks when you get her back!

~Nep~

Neptical said:
mystidream said:

Just as I said. :wink:

Awesome. Let us know how she cranks when you get her back!

~Nep~

Will do. I'm picking it up Monday, so sometime after that I'll be doing a video.

Back