NAD: 1992 Dual Rec. Blackface (Need Some Info)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystidream

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just purchased a used 1992 Dual Rectifier Blackface/Chrome Chassis model from a seller on ebay a few days ago, but I've got a few quick questions about it:

A) Which transformer numbers signify that it has Mark III or Mark IV transformers in it?
B) What is a good polish to use to polish up the chrome chassis that won't take off the lettering?
C)The 92 Dual Recto's came with a series fx loop, correct?
D) And last but not least, does anyone have any Mark Tremonti/Alter Bridge heavy rhythm settings? His friggin' tone kills!

Pics as promised:

IMG_3088.jpg

IMG_3090.jpg

IMG_3092.jpg

IMG_3094.jpg

IMG_3096.jpg

The Mark III/IV transformer difference is an internet myth. The "III" transformer isn't really a III tranny either. It's just the stock 100w tranny Mesa used at the time. Although a different part number from Schumacher, it's pretty much tonally identical to the ones used in all Rectos up until around 2000.

You should have a serial loop. Tremonti's Rectos during the Human Clay days were set around:

Modern Red/Bold/Diodes
Treble - 1:00 to 2:00
Mids - 10:00
Bass - 3:00
Presence - 1:00 to 2:00
Gain - 3:00

This was unboosted, Mesa V30 cabs, Gibson LP's with 500T's. Of course cranked up some. Talked to him in Columbus on the tour, that's what he used, and that's how his Recto's we're set. His favorite Rectos are two channel Duals he has. He keeps them for studio use only because he doesn't want to take them on the road to get ruined.

Man, these older blackface were so good sounding. Definitely to me they sounded alot less harsh,smoother and more rounded then the later ones. I know a few out there I could pick and choose from and have lately been contemplating putting one into my collection.

~Nep~

Neptical said:
Man, these older blackface were so good sounding. Definitely to me they sounded alot less harsh,smoother and more rounded then the later ones. I know a few out there I could pick and choose from and have lately been contemplating putting one into my collection.

~Nep~

I agree. I've owned 4 of them now (including the one that FedEx is bringing today). I had 2 Rackmount Recto's (one blackface/black chassis and one blackface/chrome chassis) and then I had a 2-channel Dual that had the chrome face/black chassis, and now this 92 blackface/chrome chassis. Its nice to have another Recto. In my 12 years of playing, I've gone through a bunch of Mesa's including:

2 Rackmount Recto's
2 2-channel Dual's
1 Lonestar 2x12 Combo
2 Mark IV Heads
2 Mark IV Combos
2 Mark IIC+ Heads
1 Roadking Combo
1 Roadking II Head
1 Triaxis/2:90

mystidream said:
Neptical said:

~Nep~

I agree. I've owned 4 of them now (including the one that FedEx is bringing today). I had 2 Rackmount Recto's (one blackface/black chassis and one blackface/chrome chassis) and then I had a 2-channel Dual that had the chrome face/black chassis, and now this 92 blackface/chrome chassis. Its nice to have another Recto. In my 12 years of playing, I've gone through a bunch of Mesa's including:

2 Rackmount Recto's
2 2-channel Dual's
1 Lonestar 2x12 Combo
2 Mark IV Heads
2 Mark IV Combos
2 Mark IIC+ Heads
1 Roadking Combo
1 Roadking II Head

The rackmount blackface Rectos are the same, right? Any tonal differences..or? I've seen a few of those in my routes as well.

Out all those Boogies you've had, MOST would still be in my house. :lol:

~Nep~

Neptical said:
mystidream said:
Neptical said:

~Nep~

2 Rackmount Recto's
2 2-channel Dual's
1 Lonestar 2x12 Combo
2 Mark IV Heads
2 Mark IV Combos
2 Mark IIC+ Heads
1 Roadking Combo
1 Roadking II Head

The rackmount blackface Rectos are the same, right? Any tonal differences..or? I've seen a few of those in my routes as well.

~Nep~
ive heard from others that the "racktifier" supposedly sounds better because of shorter wiring in the amp, which means a shorter signal path. i'm not sure how true that is though, it sounds like it could be a myth. :?

Speaking of Tremonti and Recto's, my whole Recto obsession pretty much started when I first heard "Human Clay." I had been playing guitar for a few years at that time, and I remember reading an article with Tremonti saying he used Rectos on the album. I looked up the closest Mesa dealer (was only 1 within hundreds of miles at that time), drove up with my buddy, plugged in, and *bam*...there it was, the tone I heard in my head. I was hooked. I bought my first Recto then, a brand new Dual for $1299 (the late 90's price for them).

On "Human Clay," he used Dual's into the Mesa V30 Cabs and Triple's into a Fender Showman 2X15 because he wanted more bottom end. He had a guy come up to him after a late show on the "My Own Prison" tour, and he was complaining to the guy about how he wanted more bottom end. The guy told him about the old Bassman 2X15, so he went out and got one used at a pawn shop for something akin to $150-$200. That pretty much became the staple of his sound. Mesa saw him using the Showman cabs and offered to make him a pair spec'd like it, so he switched to those after the "Human Clay" tour. That tour is also when he became involved with PRS. His early PRS guitars we're equipped with 500T's in the bridge, then he later got his signature PRS pickup based on the 500T around the "Weathered" era. As posted above, his Human Clay-era settings we're right around:

Tremonti - "Human Clay Era" Recto Settings

Modern Red/Bold/Diodes
Mids - 10:00
Bass - 3:00
Gain - 3:00

Crappy bootleg, but here's a good example of his with those settings on tour right before the album was released:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU12ZjXOt2I&feature=related

Once Alter Bridge got off the ground, he was exclusively using PRS with his signature pickup. He also started playing more leads at this time, and the 2X15's weren't conducive to that, so he started dropping them off the tour. It was right around the recording sessions for "Weathered" when he got his 3 channel Rectos, though you hear a mix of the those and the 2 channels on the album. As Alter Bridge got off the ground, he started to change up his settings some too, using more mids and less gain, never boosting them:

Tremonti - "Alter Bridge Era" Recto Settings

Modern Red/Bold/Diodes
Mids - 12:00
Bass - 1:00
Gain - 12:00

Yes, I know entirely way too much about Tremonti's gear history, haha. He was the reason I got my first Recto, so I learned as much as I could and took advantage of folks I've been fortunate to speak with about it. These days, he does use his 3 channels a good bit (always live, where a good 80% of his tone comes from), though he breaks out his favorite Rectos in his home studio, which are 2 of his 2 Channel Dual's form the "Human Clay" days.

Didn't mean to derail the thread or anything...just answering Phil's question in-depth... :mrgreen:

Silverwulf said:
Didn't mean to derail the thread or anything...just answering Phil's question in-depth... :mrgreen:

Although I absolutely detest Creed, Tremonti himself has a fantastic tone and is a fantastic player. Thanks for that info!

My next amp purchase will be a 2 Channel Recto with a Stiletto 4x12 cab. Can't wait!

Neptical said:

~Nep~

Believe me, if I had the cash flow, I'd have a whole room full of my previous Boogies. I'd only be adding, not selling.

mystidream said:
Jack, thanks for the settings. I'm definitely gonna try those out.

You'll need to really crank it for those Tremonti settings to work out. Do you like boosting them or running them straight? Also, what serial did you get?

Silverwulf said:
mystidream said:
Jack, thanks for the settings. I'm definitely gonna try those out.

You'll need to really crank it for those Tremonti settings to work out. Do you like boosting them or running them straight? Also, what serial did you get?

For low volume playing, I usually boost my amp. Also, the serial is R-0016xx.

Ah, good ole' Rev F. Excellent amps, love them. For boosting, my own personal settings (w/EMG's and Mesa V30 Cabs) are usually something akin to:

Modern Red/Bold/Diodes
Treble - 12:00
Mids - 12:00
Bass - 10:00
Presence - 1:00
Gain - 12:00

Maxon OD808
Output - Max
Tone - 12:00
Gain - Off

If you want the amp to be a little less stiff and be a little more chewy, bump the gain on the amp to around 1:00 and gain on the pedal to around 9:00. Then back off the mids to around 10:00-11:00. It won't be as "tight" that way, but it won't fight you and will change the "feel" of the amp some. Of course you'll have to compensate for your own pickups, tubes, etc...but those are good starting points.

Thanks for all the info, Jack. You really know a ton about these things. I've got one quick question though. I'm having a bit of a problem with the amp it seems. I went out today to my local GC and picked up all new preamp tubes and re-tubed the head. When I turn the amp on, I usually let it warm up for 1-2 minutes then I flip the standby switch. I'm getting this loud hum that can be heard through the speakers of my 4x12 as well as in the chassis of the amp and the gain on both of the overdrive channels is just not there. The two dirty channels sound like a clean channel with a tiny, tiny bit of dirt thrown in. I called Mesa about it and was told that its probably a bad pre amp tube and I was told to take one that I know was good and go through the preamp tubes one by one to rule out the bad tube. To make a long story short, I did that and none of the tubes are bad. So now I'm not sure what the hum is. Its super frustrating and I'd like to get the amp working like it should be.

Does anyone know what this could possibly be from? I'm not sure why I'm getting all this hum, and I've tried new preamp (and power tubes as well) but I'm at a loss as to what it could be. Thanks guys.

YellowJacket said:
The amp might need a cap job? I have a 1993 Dual and it is going to need to go to the shop in a couple of years for a full inspection!

If that's the case, I might just try to call the guy I bought it from and see if I can get a refund. When I bought it, I was told that there were no problems/issues. I don't have the money to send it back to Boogie to get looked at. And on top of that, I just dropped $90 on 5 preamp tubes yesterday because thats what I thought the problem might have been.

Back