Mystery problem with LSC and zoom effect unit

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DantheMan

Reaction score
I have a mysterious problem with my LSC: I'm trying to use a new Zoom multi effect (G2) and i'm getting a harsh, raspy, unpleasant, unwanted distortion on the higher notes. It is exactly the same type problem I get if I boost the highs with a EQ pedal. It's like the amp can't handle the extra highs. The Zoom unit does not cause the problem if I use it on my Fender Hotrod Deluxe.

The symptoms are thus:

1. It gets the wrong type of distortion (using the clean channel) whether it's in the effect loop or through the front.

2. It is the exact same sound if I boost the higher levels of an EQ pedal

3. If it don't use the unit, the problem goes away

4. The unit does not cause the problem on another amp.

5. The problem is worse depending on which guitar I use. My Strat w/ Hot Noiseless pickups and the 1000k pots cause (by far) the worst problem. The Les Paul - less, and my Tele - some, my Epi Wildkat w/ P90's- more than the others - less than the Strat.

6. If I cut the volume on the Strat, or the highs (using the Eq section) of the Zoom unit, or the highs on the amp, the problem clears up.

I swapped out every tube (one at a time) with another one to see if there could be a bad tube, but to no-avail. The problem did not go away.

Adjusting the loop send level did not stop the problem.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Suggestions?

Have you checked to make sure you're not overdriving the input of the G2?

You can test this by listening to the output of the G2 directly through headphones to see if the distortion is still present.

The problem can be identified in the first sentence...... LSC -- Zoom Effect pedal...what doesn't belong?

That's like putting Pirelli tires on a Yugo.....

Those Zoom G2s have a really nice chorus, phaser, delay and noise gate. They are also very quiet on their own and don't colour your sound at all.

I have boutique chorus and delay pedals too, but keep coming back to the G2 because it's so easy/fast to change to a new patch and the effects sound very good.

Back