Mystery cab....what kind is it?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsideexperiment

Reaction score
Hey, i've been thinking about dropping some cash on a mesa cab. I've heard only good things about these!!! finally, i've found one used,yet i'm not sure what kind it is. its a 2x12 vertical cab, but the mystery (atleast to me) is on the logo. The logo reads "Mesa/Boogie". I have a mesa catalog and have tried to match up what amp this cab was made for. However, all the ones i've seen have the mesa Engineering logo.

1)Anyone know what kind this is?

2)Whats the difference between rectifier cabs and traditional cabs. I've heard traditional gives the rectifier the ultimate sound.

a few things about this cab and others like it....

The Mesa/Boogie logo cabs were from the 80's and early 90's before mesa switched the logo to what we all know today. These cabs were built for the Mark series amps that were being produced back then, as the rectifiers didn't come out until these cabs were being phased out more or less. The speakers are most likely Celestion 90s, Celestion 80s, or ElectroVoice 12's. They all have great clarity and a tight bottom end, perfect for the Mark amps.

The cabs nowadays carry Celestion Vintage 30 speakers almost exclusively, as these sound really good with the rectifiers. The Mark amps also sound great with Vintage 30s (ex Metallica). As for the standard vs traditional, neither one is the "perfect" cab. They exist to give different tonal options for different people. FOr those seeking huge bottom end chunk and chug, the Standard is the wat to go. For those seeking the classic rock vibe and uber-tight riffing, the traditional is the way to go. I personally believe the true rectifier sound lies in the standard, because it gives that big low end the rectos are famous for. This is not to say that one cab can not do what the other does well. I can play tight riffs on my standard cab. Others get chunk out of their traditionals.

A personal opinion on the vertical cabs...I've read that the horizontal cabs produce better tone. Try to read some reviews and maybe you can confirm this.

i love these cabs! :lol:
mesa.jpg

i have one but the 4x12 (just Celestion 90) version. i love it. :oops:

Back