My Whammy Reissue is being weird.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightbeamHealing

Reaction score
Hi have a whammy reissue. It's a great sunding pedal but it has a problem. I have it coming right after my guitars output. When it is turned off, it makes radio signals come through my amp. When it is turned on it adds some hum and radio signals.

I have tried to put it as the last thing on the board right before my Rocktron Hush pedal on the pedal chain. After doing that and it is turned on, it drops my volume by quite abit.

What could this be? Does it need to be made true bypass or something? Because if it does that is not an issue for me, because i build effects pedals.

But please can someone help me figure this out?

Thanks Alot,

Nick

DBDbadreligion said:
Hi have a whammy reissue. It's a great sunding pedal but it has a problem. I have it coming right after my guitars output. When it is turned off, it makes radio signals come through my amp. When it is turned on it adds some hum and radio signals.

I have tried to put it as the last thing on the board right before my Rocktron Hush pedal on the pedal chain. After doing that and it is turned on, it drops my volume by quite abit.

What could this be? Does it need to be made true bypass or something? Because if it does that is not an issue for me, because i build effects pedals.

Thanks Alot,

Nick

Nick:

The whammy pedal is already true bypass

vertigo_ said:
DBDbadreligion said:

Thanks Alot,

Nick

Nick:

The whammy pedal is already true bypass

oh i did not know that. thanks for informing me of that.

what are you powering it with? if you're using an AC adapter, try plugging into a different circuit.. if you're using a daisy-chain type adapter, try a dedicated adapter for just that pedal.. that's all i've got...

someone on the HC reviews had this to say (this is not my writing and doesn't necessarily represent my views or opinions):

"My main reason for writing is to offer an answer to the question of whether it ruins you tone or not? Yes and no. If you put the Whammy pedal anywhere other than at the beginning of your signal chain you are asking for trouble. If using a compressor, you might also try maybe putting that before the Whammy. Maybe you'll like the results.

The pedal isn't true bypass and can't be modified to true bypass. This means that the tone loss factor when the Whammy is anywhere other than at the beginning of the chain is also a problem when the pedal isn't in use. One solution to this would be to use it with a bypass looper.

To get the best results from the pedal you also need to use good quality cables (George L's are particularly good). The tracking of the pedal depends to a great extent on the quality of the signal it receives. If your rig consists of gear that is worth a couple of thousand ?/$ then you really should be using good quality cable already. For people on a more modest budget, good quality cables will make an improvement to you sound, which relative to what you've paid for the cable, is a pretty good deal."

eltrain858 said:
what are you powering it with? if you're using an AC adapter, try plugging into a different circuit.. if you're using a daisy-chain type adapter, try a dedicated adapter for just that pedal.. that's all i've got...

someone on the HC reviews had this to say (this is not my writing and doesn't necessarily represent my views or opinions):

"My main reason for writing is to offer an answer to the question of whether it ruins you tone or not? Yes and no. If you put the Whammy pedal anywhere other than at the beginning of your signal chain you are asking for trouble. If using a compressor, you might also try maybe putting that before the Whammy. Maybe you'll like the results.

The pedal isn't true bypass and can't be modified to true bypass. This means that the tone loss factor when the Whammy is anywhere other than at the beginning of the chain is also a problem when the pedal isn't in use. One solution to this would be to use it with a bypass looper.

To get the best results from the pedal you also need to use good quality cables (George L's are particularly good). The tracking of the pedal depends to a great extent on the quality of the signal it receives. If your rig consists of gear that is worth a couple of thousand ?/$ then you really should be using good quality cable already. For people on a more modest budget, good quality cables will make an improvement to you sound, which relative to what you've paid for the cable, is a pretty good deal."
ok well thanks for that advice. i am powering it with the whammy pedal's supplied power supply. i will look into George L cables or planet wave cable kit.

The older whammys are true bypass. The reissue {w/ MIDI capabilities} is not. I don't believe that either are "analog" when engaged. I used my BOSS tuner pedal to split my guitar signal into my whammy and the other into a Morley ABY box. The output of the whammy also went into the ABY box. I had it set up to

Channel A {input} Path was tuner --> ABY --> Amp.
Channel B {input} Path was tuner --> whammy --> ABY --> Amp.

The only inconvenience was that when I went to tune, I had to be on channel A or the output was not muted.

Just my .02

Latest posts

Back