my stiletto is going off to the tech tomorrow

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiai_lee

Reaction score
So i played a show on friday.

I got my gear on stage all plugged in and heated up, switched it on, and played a few chords....all i got was.....gurrgghhghhhhrrrhhhgghhghghg. or something like that.

took a look inside. the number 1 tube was glowing BRIGHT.....turned off, switched the tube to one of my spares and same thing. upon closer look, SOME FUCKHEAD had spilled a drink on my head, tried to wipe it down and then left it there.....

so yeah now it has to go to my tech to see what he can do about it.

give me sympathy plz

The same thing almost happened to my studio pre, ****... did you try drying the contacts and see if it worked as usual?

****, if I saw anyone near my amp with a drink I'd introduce their rear end to my shoe. That totally sux. Did you have a backup?

Jak0lantern01 said:
****, if I saw anyone near my amp with a drink I'd introduce their rear end to my shoe. That totally sux. Did you have a backup?

you seem level headed.
i'd be sticking my fingers in there mouth, squeezing from the outside with my thumb, and forcefully pull their lower jaw off.
of course, im very protective sincei showed up to the jam spot (a firneds house, where there was a party i guess) and the fuse was totally black, pulled out, and the slot where the fuse goes in had the nut taken off and was inside the chassis.

but yea, that sucks dude. did anyone see the perp?

Level headed enough to know that there are a lot lot of disrespectful and inconsiderate people out there who might not have a clue how much the amp that got the drink spilled into it cost.

My F-50 did the same thing at rehearsal yesterday -- whenever I hit an A or B chord, it would go into oscillation and make that same sort of noise. It turned out to be a microphonic phase inverter tube, and I keep a spare set, so it only took me a few minutes to get back up and running. I even changed the power tubes at the same time, as the amp was starting to lose a bit of volume, and now it's back sounding lively and punchy again. I have to go buy some more spares now, but it's been a couple of years since I changed any tubes, so whatever.

That the failure follows the tube in your case indicates something else is wrong -- I suspect that there is a brand new circuit trace laid on the board, made of spilled beer. As the amp still puts out sound, ugly as that sound is, the good news is that I doubt it's badly damaged. Probably just needs the beer cleaned off the board, maybe the odd two-dollar cap or resistor needs to be replaced. Your tech should be able to get it back into shape without much trouble.

ytse_jam said:
The same thing almost happened to my studio pre, sh!t... did you try drying the contacts and see if it worked as usual?

My usual tech is busy and has a three week turnaround on amps at the moment :shock: So i'll try that and if it doesnt work i'll take it to another tech that come highly recommended

Jak0lantern01 said:

No, but i borrowed a marshall off the guitarist of the band we were toured with. so no biggie, no one knows who did it, but i wouldve kicked some serious *** if i saw the person do it though

nemesys said:
That the failure follows the tube in your case indicates something else is wrong -- I suspect that there is a brand new circuit trace laid on the board, made of spilled beer. As the amp still puts out sound, ugly as that sound is, the good news is that I doubt it's badly damaged. Probably just needs the beer cleaned off the board, maybe the odd two-dollar cap or resistor needs to be replaced. Your tech should be able to get it back into shape without much trouble.

thats reassuring....hopefully it wont be out for too long, im back out on the road for a few dates weekend after next

Latest posts

Back