My solo boost is gone...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneMoreAugust

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Bad Cat Hot Cat30R and am really missing the Solo option that I have on my 3ch Dual Rect. Has anyone successfully overcome this with anyother non-solo amp?
I have a parallel effects loop on the BC, which I don't mind mod-ing to series if needed.
I tried just using my volume pedal, but it takes too long to and fro when switching btwn solos and rhythm.
Any suggestions would be great....Thanks! :p

On my triple XXX I had last year, I ran the FX loop through a volume pedal and set the volume pedal behind my amp (so it didn't get messed with) and then triggered the loop via the peavey footswitch and thats how I got my boost.

On my Tremoverb I started out getting it modded to series, but if I cant use the FX loop trigger option, I'm going to leave it parallel and just set the mix to 100% and do it the same way. Either way I'm going to use the FX loop/volume pedal set up and just activate it with the FX loop on the footswitch. I did the same thing on my 5150 as well and it woked great...... I don't know if the Bad Cat has an external trigger for the FX, so none of this may have helped.

Good luck and keep us posted as to what you find because I may be in the same boat someday.

I gave up the solo boost function on my Nomad 100 last year when I deployed a midi switching system from Axess Electronics. It only allows for five of the six Nomad switch functions, so I had to give up something. I don't miss it. I get all the boost I need from the various pedals I use at solo time.

I think he's in the same boat as I am in...... You're playing along with your amp on the sound you want and the guitar volume is maxxed out to get the full sound you want and then it's solo time and you need to get above the mix (and other guitar player), what do you do? I have to have a boost of some kind.....

I have a friend in a 3 peice band where he's the only guitar player and has he has never understood why I need a solo boost or volume pedal in the FX loop. Then one day he filled in for me (we have 2 electrics and an acoustic guitar) and now totally understands why that feature is needed.

How about one of those Seymour Duncan Pickup boosters?? Put that in the FX loop, they're suppose to give a flat boost from 6 to 26 db. Run that in the FX loop and dial in the boost amt you want and when it's time for the boost, step on that? I tried it with a Marshall Bluesbreaker II pedal with the boost only function and it altered the tone a bit so I'm hitting ebay with it and getting the pickup booster. The only thing is that your Parallel loop would need to be at 100% (or close to it) or it would need to be a series loop.

I think he's in the same boat as I am in...... You're playing along with your amp on the sound you want and the guitar volume is maxxed out to get the full sound you want and then it's solo time and you need to get above the mix (and other guitar player), what do you do? I have to have a boost of some kind.....

I have a friend in a 3 peice band where he's the only guitar player and has he has never understood why I need a solo boost or volume pedal in the FX loop. Then one day he filled in for me (we have 2 electrics and an acoustic guitar) and now totally understands why that feature is needed.

How about one of those Seymour Duncan Pickup boosters?? Put that in the FX loop, they're suppose to give a flat boost from 6 to 26 db. Run that in the FX loop and dial in the boost amt you want and when it's time for the boost, step on that? I tried it with a Marshall Bluesbreaker II pedal with the boost only function and it altered the tone a bit so I'm hitting ebay with it and getting the pickup booster. The only thing is that your Parallel loop would need to be at 100% (or close to it) or it would need to be a series loop.

no soul said:
this an easy fix, use an overdrive in front of your amp for a clean boost

I tried that and didn't like the end results.... I actually went out and bought one of those Marshall Bluesbreaker II pedals that gives you a clean boost option and I aslo tried a Seymour Duncan pickup boosters pedal that is just a clean boost and It does alter the sound some by overdriving the preamp tubes and gives you more distortion and a slight volume boost. I'm sure it works great for some people, but it just wasn't for me because it didn't just boost the original sound up (enough), it was more that it altered the tone to cut through the mix - and I didn't like the way it altered the tone, I just wanted my normal sound boosted up.

Thats just my $.02 worth

Tele_jas,
I've heard, in another forum, that the Fulltone Fat Boost might be what I am looking for, and maybe you too. It's a clean 20 db boost w/o any distortion. It has a tone knob that cuts the treble, but at 12 0'clock, is w/o any cut. I'm thinking about trying one out, but at $160 it better be worth it.
I agree, I don't think a od pedal in front will get me what I want. I want the natural amp distortion, way better than any pedal, and layering distortion usually results in ugly sounds. Also impossible to switch two pedals at once (i.e. the od pedal and amp channel switcher).
Thanks guys, I'll post my results, good or bad. :p

Thanks, I'll have to check that out.... but still, if you're running it in to your instrument input on your amp it'll still be overdriving your preamp tubes and cause the added distortion. It would probably work in the FX loop with the mix set at or close to 100%.

Everyone keeps talking about getting a boost pedal. I believe the Mesa Solo circuit works on the opposite principle.

What you would need is a resistive network in your series (not parallel) effects loop that would reduce the volume before it reaches the output stage. When a boost is require you would switch the resistive network out of the loop.

A resistive network could be as simple as a volume pedal in the loop or something that emulates a volume pedal.

Get a project box, a footswitch, two 1/4" sockets, and an volume pot. Wire it up so that in position one of the switch the volume pot is in the loop and in position two the volume pot is out of the loop.

You would use the amps master volume to set the solo level with the volume pot out of the loop. Set the back ground level with the volume pot in the loop.

The TC G-major uses this concept with their preset boost as well, so you could just insert a G-major in you series effects loop, get a midi pedal and be done with it.

I use a volume pedal with my Mark III rig and a TC G-major with my Triaxis/Simul2:90 rig.

Good luck...

Chris... 8)

This can be solved very easily.......Get an EQ PEDAL. Run the song with your amp settings. When its Solo time, kick in the pedal FULL OF MIDS. Instant satisfaction. (Not to mention nice smooth tones)

What you would need is a resistive network in your series (not parallel) effects loop that would reduce the volume before it reaches the output stage. When a boost is require you would switch the resistive network out of the loop.
chedgeco,
I thought about this, but wasn't sure how to do it. It seems it might be the way to go. I'm an auto tech, so I have some electrical knowledge, but have never tried to make a pedal. It seems simple enough to do...any DIY websites that might help? I've checked a couple, but the deal mostly with simulating effects, not something as simple as this.

OK, here goes... YMMV.

This is a crude schematic of what I was talking about:
The volume pot should probably be 1 Meg Ohm.

BoostSwitch.jpg

Chris... 8)

pau_leader said:
I use a Seymour Duncan Pickup booster in the FX loop. Great for solos!

Does that alter your sound any?? I tried a Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal that has a "clean boost" option and it made my tone real thin when running in the FX loop. I've currently got it on ebay and wasn't sure what to get next, but if you say the Seymour Duncan PU booster works - that's what I'll be getting.

tele_jas said:
pau_leader said:
I use a Seymour Duncan Pickup booster in the FX loop. Great for solos!

Does that alter your sound any?? I tried a Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal that has a "clean boost" option and it made my tone real thin when running in the FX loop. I've currently got it on ebay and wasn't sure what to get next, but if you say the Seymour Duncan PU booster works - that's what I'll be getting.

No it doesent alter your sound. I have the F-50 combo.

No coloration with tone. Its a cool pedal. It helps me with a lot of stuff actually. It beefs up my Yamaha Pacifica. I can use it as an od pedal for rhythm on the clean channel and I get the Hot rod deville distortion.

Its worths the money imo.

Latest posts

Back