My Roadster STOPPED Popping...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73h Nils

Reaction score
Channel 3 always popped when I selected it (Vintage) but last week, up until presently, it doesn't anymore. I haven't touched a single thing, just the volume (OUTPUT). Tuner Mute still pops when I select it, but I don't use it, so meh.

I have no idea why it stopped, but it's awesome! :p

Could the volume play a role in it?

You have got one of the rare Roadsters that fix themselves. Lucky you :)

Ciao ...

Honestly it's so weird...Not to mention, I'm starting to hear radio stations coming through Ch4, haha...Spanish ones... :? :shock:

73h Nils said:
Honestly it's so weird...Not to mention, I'm starting to hear radio stations coming through Ch4, haha...Spanish ones... :? :shock:
Hah! My JCM 800 2204 started doing that once, new tubes solved it though. It was pretty faint and I obviously only noticed it between songs at rehearsal. My bandmates thought I was crazy for a second there with me wandering around the room trying to find it. "Do you hear that mariachi music, man??":roll: :shock: :?

I'd get really worried when you start picking up alien transmissions :mrgreen:

Ciao ...

I use an LSS but had a similar "pop" for the first two months. I didn't really realize that I haven't heard it for a week or two until I read your post. I think I just got over the "newness" and don't focus in so much now as I once did, when turning on and setting up. Seems when I wanted it to be perfect (showing off the new toy) it wasn't and now, every one is back to setting up themselves, not paying any mind and it has "broken in".

I remember a few weeks ago, I switched the Stand By and it "popped" and the sound tech gave me a glare and said something about pulling hot plugs. Short of "F... Off", I nicely said "it's the switch, I didn't pull any cables" and shot him a quick bird.

I've got to believe its getting better all the time. Sound familiar?

Hmm, now that I think about it... I had my amp set to channel 3, on Standby, and when I took it out of it, it popped (cued by the Standby switch), not selecting it using the footswitch and since then it hasn't popped once...Crazy...Oh well, I won't complain, haha!

once the volume is up on my 3 channel dual rec, it stops popping. I think volume does have to do with it. Also, for some people it helps to cycle through the footswitch a few times helps too. Apparently the popping is due to static build up in the switching mechanism, and cycling through can help that (i'm only regurgitating stuff that I've read on that one). Mine never popped at rehearsal or live volumes, only at home volumes.

The static buildup explaination is a BS one. The majority of the time (99%) the popping problem is because the muting FET (j175) is leaky. There are several of these FET's in the amp.

Ciao ...

word, like I said I wasn't sure on that static issue, it's just what I've read. Thanks for clearing that up. With mine, I just turn it up and the popping goes away, in bocca al lupo :wink:

Yeah, earlier, like I said in a different thread, my Roadster used to pop only the first time I hit the channel 3 button and then stopped for good, so it wasn't really a problem anyway.

I think the radio signals being picked up is a result of the wiring in the house/building.

Not sure if my Samson Powerbrite Pro surge protector will make any difference. I know my ground fault cable didn't, but I didn't think it would. Though it comes in and out, I'll need to fix it before I do any serious recording.

Latest posts

Back