My POS head is blowing tubes and on its way back........

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkIVwidebody

Reaction score
back to the dealer so their amp tech can look at it. I had a lot of popping and noise so I looked at the power tubes. One was purple and fluctuating so I turned off the amp. Then since it was on the inside pair, I moved it to the outside so I could try to run in 45W mode. Because of course my dealer is waiting for their Mesa power tubes which were ordered last week.
I then turned the amp on and saw the bad tube still getting purple (blue). Suddenly the tube in its old spot (inner tube) got super white with big orange glow in center and as I went to turn the amp off...pfffttt. Blown fuse. I got super pissed and drove it 5 minutes away to my dealer and said let me know when its fixed. I seriously wish I bought an ENGL Powerball.

MarkIVwidebody said:
back to the dealer so their amp tech can look at it. I had a lot of popping and noise so I looked at the power tubes. One was purple and fluctuating so I turned off the amp. Then since it was on the inside pair, I moved it to the outside so I could try to run in 45W mode. Because of course my dealer is waiting for their Mesa power tubes which were ordered last week.
I then turned the amp on and saw the bad tube still getting purple (blue). Suddenly the tube in its old spot (inner tube) got super white with big orange glow in center and as I went to turn the amp off...pfffttt. Blown fuse. I got super pissed and drove it 5 minutes away to my dealer and said let me know when its fixed. I seriously wish I bought an ENGL Powerball.

Oh, misread you.

It sounds like you had a bad power tube. Did you try using a new set of tubes, or did you just move yours around?

Oh, misread you again. One big blurb is hard to read (i guess i'm getting older, hah.)

If you had a Fireball you'd have to send the amp to Germany to get it fixed! :p

It sounds like a tube shorted and may have goofed up a screen grid resistor or something. If one socket causes a tube to cherry (bright red/orange) then there is likely something wrong with the socket.

45 W is the inside pair. Exactly. An inside tube was bad. With me? I swapped it with a good tube on the outside. Then when the good tube was in that inner slot, the amp blew it to hell in 5 seconds because something major is wrong. If I had an ENGL I wouldn't have TWO problems now in 6 weeks. I had a Fireball before this and it's lead channel was just as good as the V's channel three but the fireball is only 2 channels and shares a gain knob. The upgrade would have been powerball but I gave Mesa a chance and I am not regretting it IF after this I NEVER have to send the POS back again.

"F" you azzholes. Your head works-mine doesn't. I didn't pay $2,100 for this. I have owned about ten amps-all cheaper and none of them ever had the first issue or problem. Never. Flame away....all want is the head I waited months for and now how many more weeks do I wait?

MarkIVwidebody said:
"F" you azzholes.

What a joyful response. :evil: If there was no smoke or stink, then the screen grid resistors are probably intact. Put in some new power tubes, a fuse and hit the "GO" button. Try some EL-34's for the hell of it. :D

thegaindeli said:
I'll remain silent... 8)

Holy crap! I just saw a unicorn run by my window!!!

You're finally getting the point that everyone here wishes you would get! Thank you for your silence.

The next step in your recovery is to not post at all.

Jmango said:
thegaindeli said:
I'll remain silent... 8)

Holy crap! I just saw a unicorn run by my window!!!

You're finally getting the point that everyone here wishes you would get! Thank you for your silence.

The next step in your recovery is to not post at all.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

thegaindeli said:
You should be here to smell this fart... :shock:

476px-Gtfo.jpg

Replace power tubes first, if that doesn't work then take it back. I buy my power tubes from good tube dealers that test them properly. Tube are not always reliable, especially new tubes.

Dude I can relate! My combo.. total loss of sound Fri night, replaced blown Recto tube Sat, lost sound again that night at first of gig, lost sound while on phone with Mesa on Monday, shipped the chassis back on Tues... they got it the NEXT Thur ( 9 F'n UPS days later), was supposed to have it in and out in a day or 2 LMAO!, 3 weeks later its on its way back... they couldn't find anything wrong with it! So I'll probably get to go though this all over again once I get it back... Just buy another one for a backup... :wink: In all seriousness... I feel your frustration!

Just wanted to say one more thing... if Mesa was really interested in good customer service, and they had an amp that **** craps... especially in the 1st month or 2... or 6... they should just replace it... instead of putting us through all the bull$hit... but hey... like they told me... the Artists have to go through the same hoops we do.... :lol:

I agree. If I dropped over 2k on an amp and it sh!t the bed a week later, I dont want a refurbished pos. Replace it! Hell, Taco Bell f@cks up my order they dont take my food back and fix it, they give me a new nacho-bell-grande.

MarkIVwidebody said:

Just started having this problem today myself. This is pure bullsh*t for a $2K amp. I will keep you all posted.

I haven't had any of these problems, although, I don't gig, so that could be why...I imagine all of the power setting switching and mode switching might be hard on the the tubes...that's just a guess though

Latest posts

Back