My new Studio Pre clean channel demo video

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds great! The Metallica clean is dead on to me. The jazz tones sound great. How do you like the peavey power amp? I'm looking for a good power amp to pair with my ENGL preamp.

I really like the tones in this video.

Thanks! Yea the "black sound" sounds even better when you're in the room with the amp and both cabinets are on. Its just incredible. I think that sound is basically the "Hyper Clean" channel from the Mark IV.

Here's my Harmony Central review of the Peavey 50/50:

Features : 10
I'll just mention the features that make this amp special:

- Presence and Resonance knobs on the front for EQ'ing
- Separate standby switches for each side
- Two inputs for each side and two speaker outputs for each side
- Can be run in Mono mode @ 100 watts if only using one cabinet

Sound Quality : 10

Other power amps that I have owned are a Peavey Classic 120, Mesa 2:90, Mesa 50/50, and a Mesa 20/20. I went through all those trying to find the best match for my Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp, and ended up going back to the Peavey 50/50 two months after selling it.

This is one of the greatest power amps ever made. It combines the gnarly tone of EL84's with the headroom of 50 or 100 watts. Clean sounds are angelic, and overdriven tones are crispy. Its tone that you'll want to sink your teeth into. Pinch harmonics and feedback on this thing are amazing. This power amp especially favors the Mid-range sliders on my preamp's 5-band EQ. When you crank the Low-Mid and Mid sliders on the EQ (240 Hz and 750 Hz respectively) you get an incredibly gnarly (there's that word again) woody, boxy, warm resonance that no other of those power amps could match.

It also provides a good low-end for high-gain power chord chugging. If you crank the bass on your preamp and scoop the mids this power amp responds well and will give you a great CHUNK.

Reliability : 10
Mine was DROPPED by the douches at UPS and it bent the front handles in permanently, but its been working perfectly.

thanks a lot for the info on the power amp. I didn't realize that you could do 100 watts just into one cab, which is what I would be doing.

Great playing and great sounds! ...pretty much what it's all about... isn't it!?!

great tones, compliments. really better than direct recording for sure. I promise I give you 5 stars if you make a similar video about the overdriven channel! :D

very nice... dig the playing and the tones. I've got a studio pre and spent far more time messing with the rotary EQ than the graphic EQ... after watching your video I think I need to do the opposite.

--B

Thanks for the ratings!

I started working on the lead channel video not one hour after uploading this one. It will be even more extensive, as there's a whole other clean channel within the lead channel. There's many beautiful "pushed" clean sounds between 1.5 and 3 on the Lead Drive knob. That's why I love this preamp!

I'll post when the new video is done.

DMTransmutation said:
Thanks for the ratings!

I started working on the lead channel video not one hour after uploading this one. It will be even more extensive, as there's a whole other clean channel within the lead channel. There's many beautiful "pushed" clean sounds between 1.5 and 3 on the Lead Drive knob. That's why I love this preamp!

I'll post when the new video is done.
yeah, you're right. I used to use the lead channel just for heavy riffage or soloing, but switching "lead fat" off you enter in a new dimension of wonderful tones. I must spend more time tweaking my studio, as should everyone who owns it in my opinion!
waiting for the new video, great work with the first one thanks

The tones are sick man, the tallica tones are near perfect. I think i better check out that inteleflex for my setup im in need of a good effects help...Wonder how it would sound paired with my Quad. You dig yours? - easy to use?

The quality of the effects are top-notch, and it definitely adds minimal noise to the signal. It also does not "digitize" your tone like many processors do. The tone stays organic and juicy. My favorite effect in it is the reverb. Its just incredibly real sounding. Lush and immersive.

But the problem with the unit is that you can't have a long delay with chorus at the same time. The chorus is generated from the delay portion of the unit, so you can only have up to 419 ms delay with a short tail IF you have chorus on. Without chorus the delay possibilites are unlimited, and I believe the delay + reverb combination is also unlimited. Some time I am going to buy a rack case that's one space bigger and add a cheap rack chorus unit in there to remove this limitation. Since I'm not in a band right now I don't need it to be perfect.

So aside from the delay/chorus relationship, the unit is just top-notch. I considered all the other mid-priced units (Replifex, G-Major, Xpression) and there were just so many reports of annoying software bugs that I just went for the $125 Intellifex from the 80's. As far as reliability goes, the Intellifex is just as solid as my Studio Pre.

Oh and as far as ease of use, its about as complicated as any fx unit with a screen and knobs. Each effect has a good amount of parameters but not so many that you have to read the manual. I figured it out pretty easily.

Great Job DMT!

great demo of how broad the tone range can be and that's just on the clean channel!

I use the black face Intellifex as well, very under rated processor. Great chorus,pitchshift,delays and lush reverbs. I also paired it with the Rocktron Multivalve for the other modulated effects, especially the rotarty sim. But I just sold that to fund an AXE-FX but I'm keeping the Intellifex.

What outputs are you using? Mains,Recording or the Send?

I'm using the send outs and using the Intellfex to adjust my volumes which works fine.

Look forward to your next video!

Axis

Latest posts

Back