My new AXE-FX rig is complete (UPDATED)!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
After selling the Mark V head I was able to afford this new rig. I love it's versatility, tone, size, and portability. The EV loaded cab is deceivingly heavy, but boy does it sound great with the AXE. Don't flame me too hard!

IMG_2680.jpg

IMG_2676.jpg

IMG_2679.jpg

IMG_2678.jpg

IMG_2673.jpg

Whatever floats your boat...... :D
I'll bet it would sound even better with a tube power amp (50/50, 20/20, 2/90, etc...)

Oops now I did it.......you'll be developing more GAS now! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did you try the AXE with a tube power amp? Not trying to start a tube/solid state war, I promise!

Are the AXE tones that nice and the dynamics that good that a tube amp is unnecessary? Does the tube amp color the tone too much?

very nice. It looks nice and you definitely aren't lacking on endless amounts of great tones. Congrats!

Call me crazy, but I just wanted to get away from tubes entirely. The SS poweramp is clean, transparent power. No coloring. I'm sure a tube power amp would sound good, but it would be louder than I need and I can get more unique tones out of my current rig thanks to the EV speaker's transparency combined with the SS power amp.

I don't find it hard to get great tones with this thing at all. If you get the chance you need to spend some time with one. If you are ever in my area let me know! You're welcome to stop by and GET CONVERTED! Hahaha!

Gonna try to make some 'in room clips' as well as direct to PC clips with cab sims turned on.

MusicManJP6 said:
After selling the Mark V head I was able to afford this new rig.
When / why did you sell the Mark V? If I remember correctly, you'd been pretty impressed with it.

TheMagicEight said:
MusicManJP6 said:
After selling the Mark V head I was able to afford this new rig.
When / why did you sell the Mark V? If I remember correctly, you'd been pretty impressed with it.

I was definitely impressed with it! But, the AXE FX does the Mark tones and so much more so I have to say I was more impressed with the AXE so the Mark V got bumped from atop the 3/4 back cab...

Can you please let us know how the Mark tones compare to the actual mark amps? Is it spot on, close enough, or just close.

also how does the fcb1010 work with the axefx? can you do tap tempo on one button, wah, volume with the two pedals, and the have a few buttons as presets and a few buttons as just effects?

dmcguitar said:
Can you please let us know how the Mark tones compare to the actual mark amps? Is it spot on, close enough, or just close.

also how does the fcb1010 work with the axefx? can you do tap tempo on one button, wah, volume with the two pedals, and the have a few buttons as presets and a few buttons as just effects?

There isn't anyway tubes/solid state compare. You can get tones that are similar but that's where the relationship ends.

Scary said:
dmcguitar said:

There isn't anyway tubes/solid state compare. You can get tones that are similar but that's where the relationship ends.

You've contradicted yourself. If the tones are similar as you said then a comparison can be made. It's just a matter of how close is the comparison.

Congrats! It looks good. BTW, someone else on the AFX forums also was running their AXE with a ART SLA-2. Is that some sort of accepted SS power amps that sounds good with the AFX?

Also, any regrets getting the standard? Is the standard a good place to start the AFX journey?

emperor_black said:
Congrats! It looks good. BTW, someone else on the AFX forums also was running their AXE with a ART SLA-2. Is that some sort of accepted SS power amps that sounds good with the AFX?

Also, any regrets getting the standard? Is the standard a good place to start the AFX journey?

Thanks!

The SLA-2 is about the most power you can pack into a 1U rack space for the price so yea, it gets some attention. :)

No regrets on the Standard whatsoever. I think it is the best value. I would not have been able to afford the poweramp, rack bag, and footcontroller had I gone with the Ultra...

dmcguitar said:

It can do the Mark tones AND the Recto tones, AND the Triaxis, etc, etc, Marshall, VHT, etc, etc. It gets EXTREMELY close to the real thing. I played my Mark V for an hour before my friend brought his AXE over and the tone and feel was 98% the same as what I had just heard for an hour.

The FCB1010 can do the half presets and half stompbox mode with the UnO firmware chip installed. I've got one on the way. Should be here next week and then I'll load up the .sys file I found that will load up all the right values to work with the AXE. Then, I'll have the top row stompbox on/off for delay, tap tempo, chorus, phaser, and solo boost maybe, then the bottom row will be presets 1-5 then hit the 'bank up' patch and the stompboxes stay the same, but the presets move to slots 6-10. This is how I understand it to work and I hope that is the case, because that would be PERFECT. Then a dedicated volume and wah expression pedals....

Cool rig- I was thinking real hard about an AXEFX, but then I played the Dyne....
If you are happy- that's all that matters! If it sounds good- then it is good....
Post some demos....

I was playing guitar with a buddy from the board and he told me you sold your Mark V for an Axe-Fx. The shock wasn't that you'd bought the Axe-FX...I was like, "He bought a Mark V?"

Man, I'm behind on your gear. You need to list a Gone but not forgotten like I have.

I'd love to compare it to the GSP. Some models are better than others. I sounds great through the power section of my Marshall not so much through a SS Randal I have laying around.

Haha. I tried to add a 'gone but not forgotten' section once, but the list is too long so I ran out of characters!

The AXE sounds AMAZING running directly through my PC and that is through a pretty cheap Logitech x20 speaker system. I'd love to upgrade to some Rokit KRK5's or something eventually. I'd also like to run a stereo FRFR setup so I can use the cab sims in the AXE. They just open up so much more options. The 3/4 back has some killer tone as well so it's not going anywhere. If the AXE doesn't do it for me then I don't know what else I could possibly want to get next!

Laskyman, I am going to make some clips as soon as I stop playing long enough to hit record!

MusicManJP6 said:
If the AXE doesn't do it for me then I don't know what else I could possibly want to get next!

Oh, come on man, you're not trying :lol:

You haven't had a Fryette or a Diezel yet. You also haven't gone through a JCM800 stage, which is pretty important in an amp guy's evolution.

CoG said:
MusicManJP6 said:
If the AXE doesn't do it for me then I don't know what else I could possibly want to get next!

Oh, come on man, you're not trying :lol:

You haven't had a Fryette or a Diezel yet. You also haven't gone through a JCM800 stage, which is pretty important in an amp guy's evolution.

Yea, I suppose you are right. I've been a Mesa guy for a while now. I think I'll just stick with the AXE if I want a Fryette, Diezel, or JCM800 tone though... 8)

I'd have swapped my Mark IV for an Axe Fx by now but I'm too lazy. I have everything I need right now to make loud noises. And I know if I bought one I would end up with 50 different presets all built on Mark IV's. :lol:

Back