My new 1983 Les Paul Custom

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigAl

Reaction score
All original factory installed kahler supertune bridge, locking nut, "crank" tuners.

http://img833.imageshack.us/g/img0350r.jpg/

BigAl said:
All original factory installed kahler supertune bridge, locking nut, "crank" tuners.

nice score...I HAD an 1994 explorer with the same set up. I think you will find the kahler a nice addition...

What PUs?

dmraco said:
BigAl said:

nice score...I HAD an 1994 explorer with the same set up. I think you will find the kahler a nice addition...

What PUs?

Yea definitely a great thing to have. They're P.A.F's. The best part though is how much I got it for... $1500!! And she's in 9/10 shape with almost no dings, little to no fret wear, no scratches... And the dude included the pickup covers, locking nut allen key and the whammy bar of course.

Sweet! - Have an '84 w/o the trem. ****ing heavy guitar but sounds so sweet. Gotta love the pop out string winders. : ) Why can't all guitars have those?

GD_NC said:
Sweet! - Have an '84 w/o the trem. ****ing heavy guitar but sounds so sweet. Gotta love the pop out string winders. : ) Why can't all guitars have those?

Oh yea, they're a freaking godsend when it comes to restringing. I didn't realize how awesome a vibrola sounds and feels on a les paul. And I agree, the thing sounds epic. Cleans are bell like on the high strings, piano like on the low ones. The P.A.Fs actually sound great for metal... I didn't think they would be hot enough but it's great with the mark V.

New pics up!!

I've now installed Seymour Duncan Blackouts and wow, she really roars now. I've installed the knobs already though but these pics were taken right after the rewire and installation so the knobs aren't on in the pics.

http://img691.imageshack.us/g/img0354xf.jpg/

Nice LP Custom! I have an '83 myself (no kahler) which is a killer instrument. 9.8 pounds but great tone.

BigAl said:
New pics up!!

I've now installed Seymour Duncan Blackouts and wow, she really roars now. I've installed the knobs already though but these pics were taken right after the rewire and installation so the knobs aren't on in the pics.

If those are the original Tim Shaw Humbuckers you can sell them for $100 - $200 as they are sought after.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pickups/132218-tim-shaw-pups.html has some more infomation.

I am the original owner of 84 LP Custom. I had a kahler put in shortly after buying it and just recently had it removed and the hole patched by a local luther who did a great job. You can see the repair job here:

120910241.jpg

120910242.jpg

robredo_mattila said:
Nice LP Custom! I have an '83 myself (no kahler) which is a killer instrument. 9.8 pounds but great tone.

mikebu said:
BigAl said:
New pics up!!

If those are the original Tim Shaw Humbuckers you can sell them for $100 - $200 as they are sought after.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pickups/132218-tim-shaw-pups.html has some more infomation.

I am the original owner of 84 LP Custom. I had a kahler put in shortly after buying it and just recently had it removed and the hole patched by a local luther who did a great job. You can see the repair job here:

120910241.jpg

120910242.jpg

Thanks robredo :). Aren't these older Gibsons just some of the best guitars ever made? If I were you I would have kept the Kahler :p. I don't want to sell those pups because I want to keep my guitar's resale value up :p. Mine weigh's in at 12 pounds, and she's a real shoulder killer lol. The repair job gives your top a sort of "character" if you know what I mean, it looks awesome. Interesting though, my pickup cover at the bridge is worn the same way as yours lol.

All nice Les Pauls guys... I have two early 80's, both from '81 one standard and one custom. My custom has the Tim Shaw pickups, I love the sound of that one. I know a lot of people dismiss those Gibsons from those years, but I love mine. I'd take those over the newer ones from today, except for maybe one of those custom shops (if I hit lotto :D ).

swbo101 said:
All nice Les Pauls guys... I have two early 80's, both from '81 one standard and one custom. My custom has the Tim Shaw pickups, I love the sound of that one. I know a lot of people dismiss those Gibsons from those years, but I love mine. I'd take those over the newer ones from today, except for maybe one of those custom shops (if I hit lotto :D ).

Yea, people who think the Norlin years were a dark age in terms of quality are either ignorant or stupid. The later Norlin years had especially good quality and workmanship in the guitars they put out. I'd take a Norlin over any of these new, gutted Les Pauls any day of the week. That is of course, unless the Custom Shop offered to make me an exact replica of my 83 custom as a backup :p.

BigAl said:
Yea, people who think the Norlin years were a dark age in terms of quality are either ignorant or stupid. The later Norlin years had especially good quality and workmanship in the guitars they put out. I'd take a Norlin over any of these new, gutted Les Pauls any day of the week.

+1000

To me, no other guitar I've tried plays like my '73 Custom. Don't get me wrong, I've played some very nice guitars over the years, but none have felt as comfortable to play (except the weight maybe). I've had her since '84 and even after a re-fret, she plays just as good as the day I got her.

Dom

domct203 said:
+1000

To me, no other guitar I've tried plays like my '73 Custom. Don't get me wrong, I've played some very nice guitars over the years, but none have felt as comfortable to play (except the weight maybe). I've had her since '84 and even after a re-fret, she plays just as good as the day I got her.

Dom

Nice to know that there are more Norlin lovers out there than I expected. We aren't as few and far between as I once thought. Are you on mylespaul.com's forum by any chance?

For years I thought I was alone in this too, so it's nice to find so many others who think the same. I'd pick most Norlins over most modern Gibsons, with the exception of the Custom Shop stuff and even a fair few of those. I just don't get the weight-relief thing at all, I don't think they sound like proper Les Pauls - the Norlins have a solidity of feel and tone that goes beyond simple mass, that the new ones just don't seem to have. I also prefer the less-breakable shallower-angle headstocks, the volute (even though it doesn't help much) and even the maple necks.

What I don't like about the Norlins are things like the pancake bodies, wide headstocks on Les Paul Standards and Deluxes (which is the main reason I sold my last Deluxe, and yes I am shallow :)), and some of the hideous sunbursts.

mikebu said:

120910241.jpg

120910242.jpg
That is without doubt the neatest Kahler removal I've ever seen, and incredible that he even tried it on a sunburst - stunning work.

I would still have left it though. I tend to think that if the damage has been done, there's really no point in trying to fix it when it can never be invisible - not even if done that well, and often not even under a solid color, once it settles into the wood - and there are plenty more LPs without Kahlers than with. Some folks actually want the Kahler, too.

94Tremoverb said:
For years I thought I was alone in this too, so it's nice to find so many others who think the same. I'd pick most Norlins over most modern Gibsons, with the exception of the Custom Shop stuff and even a fair few of those. I just don't get the weight-relief thing at all, I don't think they sound like proper Les Pauls - the Norlins have a solidity of feel and tone that goes beyond simple mass, that the new ones just don't seem to have. I also prefer the less-breakable shallower-angle headstocks, the volute (even though it doesn't help much) and even the maple necks.

What I don't like about the Norlins are things like the pancake bodies, wide headstocks on Les Paul Standards and Deluxes (which is the main reason I sold my last Deluxe, and yes I am shallow :)), and some of the hideous sunbursts.

I get not liking the pancake bodies. I dislike them too. But I'd take a pancake over a chambered POS that they're selling today. I'm so glad my Norlin isn't weight relieved, because I believe '83 is the year they began doing that. Mine weighs in at a healthy 12 pounds :lol: . Are you on the mylespaul forum man?

My 1973 deluxe is a g***** pancake shovel head heavy weight clowny NORLIN and....... I LOVE IT.

Took out the mini's and put in some PAF's. Replaced the electronics with some RS guitar works stuff; undid some crazy mods someone did to it in the far distant past; put on a callaham steel bridge; aluminum tail; bone nut; shined her up a little; ditched all my outboard gear and plugged her into my Mark IV. Oh baby! Yeah - its even got the Les Paul break on the head stock (twice actually - **** clumsy bass players).

To think I hauled this thing around for 12 years as my "spare" guitar and almost never played it. What a fool I was. I was a "strat" guy until someone stole all my instruments. In some way they did me a favor.

I'm a member of "mylespaul" forumn but there are wayyyy to many cork sniffers on there. Guys that own the most beautious "ungigged" hanger queens I ever saw and look down their noses at great Norlin guitars. Such a dis-service.
My axe is almost 40 years old and its still not "vintage". Whats it gotta be? 200???

My Les Paul is a road dog - played played played and played some more. I don't mind the nicks and scratches.

Long live all the great sounding great playing road dog Norlins!

(ps - I have a very pretty clowny)

BigAl said:
domct203 said:
+1000

Dom

Nice to know that there are more Norlin lovers out there than I expected. We aren't as few and far between as I once thought. Are you on mylespaul.com's forum by any chance?

Mine has been used but not abused. She's been pampered all her life, but yea, those corksniffers dislike anything that wasn't on a 59 LP. Screw them, they wouldn't know a good guitar if they saw one, be it a Gibbo, Fender or PRS. I'm sure my Norlin could take on the road better than **** near ANY new LP, and for an almost 30 year old guitar not being considered vintage? Don't listen to the cork sniffers. I rarely visit the vintage guitar pages on MLP because of how much those guys piss me off. I go to the Norlin section, Gibson Les Paul section, and anywhere corksniffers don't lurk. Sometimes I'll go to the R sections because I like the pretty pics of R9's e.t.c. :p. Anyways, if you wanna freind me on their, my username is the exact same as here, BigAl.

Latest posts

Back