My MARK V Combo Clips

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sound good thanks for the sound sample
on a different note if you should be so kind to post another clip with the gain up a bit more I'd like to get a feel for what the amp sounds like at higher gain.
Thanks

'

Another thanks guy, sounds good! I know you said that you,re not a real Petrucci type player, but did you try and dial up the fabled, sustaining, liquid neck pickup solo sound?

Also; on a different thread, you said you,re probaly returning it because It,s not MIDI capable...do the tones not sound that awesome to you, that the practicality you need trumps the tone? Or would you be/have returned the amp, no matter how great it sounded?

Shang Chi 66 said:
Another thanks guy, sounds good! I know you said that you,re not a real Petrucci type player, but did you try and dial up the fabled, sustaining, liquid neck pickup solo sound?

Also; on a different thread, you said you,re probaly returning it because It,s not MIDI capable...do the tones not sound that awesome to you, that the practicality you need trumps the tone? Or would you be/have returned the amp, no matter how great it sounded?

The heavy sounds are there - I am sure the next fifteen people to demo this amp will do nothing but shred their little petrucci wanking nuts off - so fear not children of the metal - other people - much more qualified to give you that "stock" mark IV tone will get to it. It is in the amp - I am just not interested in it. And I couldn't do it any justice anyway. I like The Clash. 8)

The deal breaker for me is set up time. I play about 80-100 shows per year and I need to be able to be quick and fast setting up my rig. I think this amp is as good as it gets sound wise and I am still not sure what i am gonna do - because it is the perfect size - the perfect palette of tones - the clean is as good as it gets - and it is DEEP. Meaning I have barely scratched the surface with it and sonically I am very pleased.

However -

Guitar is not the only thing I have to take care of in my situation. In fact it is the least of my worries at a gig. And I really have to cover a lot of ground with the effects and such - and I need it to be EASY. Easy to carry - easy to load - easy to set up and with minimal things that can go screwy (meaning less cables and "hook up" stuff). I have become somewhat used to this ease of set up using modeling amps and such live with no issues. So I am somewhat torn - and will decide tomorrow what to do. I know that if I keep this amp - I will just end up using my old stuff live because it is easy, reliable, and sounds great too (though not as great as the Mark V). Transport, Set up and tear down is a big deal when you are playing all the time. It just is. It is why you get paid. The playing - that's for yourself... :(

Stock - 490R & 498T I think. Whatever Gibson puts in the studio's. This guitar sounds better than my Black Beauty Custom. It is much warmer. And lighter.

Thanks for taking the time to film and post those clips man. Although your tone and style is different than mine, it gave me a lot of ideas on how it sounds. You seem super p*ssed about the midi thing though. It sounds like you have some experience and with the wealth of info available I'm kind of surprised you didn't notice before hand as well as that you expected it to have midi switching. I hear ya on not wanting to spend the extra cash on an amp gizmo or similar product, but that is the solution. Getting one of those and a good midi pedal will get you there. You are 95% there.

Thanks again and you should keep it. I think you will regret it if you return it. It will show all the jokers that are waiting because of the whole revision thing. The first shipment of combos and heads will be like the holy grail in a few years after they've gone to revision C. :wink:

I don't know why your panicking about the switching issue you seem to have...Call Ron at RJM and get an RG-16 switcher and your worries are over.....Or even just the Amp Gizmo. There's been alot of technology in the last few years and...It can be done....lol!! :mrgreen:

Uncle Muscles said:
I think that AMP GIZMO is a good possible solution.

I am glad everybody likes the vids so far.

You should give the amp gizmo a shot. It would be such a shame to have to sacrafice that great tone for convenience.

By the way. I hope I don,t get shot here for putting this out there. But it seems to me that you would be a great canidate for the Fractal Ax-Fx. Guys rave about the quality of amp sims (particularily, the Mark IV & IIC+ models) & effects. And, quick straight into the board set up (no poweramp is necessary). You say that you have alot to do at your gigs, so think about it...no cab to carry, no "real" amps to lug. MIDI switcher on the floor, into the board and done til soundcheck.

Waayyy to much tweaking capability for me, but for you... all of your presets done before hand at practice, etc...there,s your midi convenience, and then some...just a thought.

To be honest for the tone's and songs you playing espically the strokes songs i think a fender hot rod deville through a nice 4x12 will give you all the tone you need and would prefer...
Very, Very underrated amps.

P.S. i might get killed for this comment.

guitarmaster said:
Kill me.................I prefer Mark III and Mark IIC+. I can't judge watching some videos but my opinions about "Modern Era amps" will be always the same...............without any intention to hurt the person who posted these videos. To be honest I have never seen a video that shows what this amp is able or not able to do.............I'm pretty disappointed. However thanks for the videos.

I.......would prefer..............a sperate mark iv........................and a iic+.....................if I had......................$5k.......................but I think............................the mark V................will still be pretty decent......................I hear ya about..................modern era amps....................................they do so much.....................................................its easy for ...................................................................................something to go wrong...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ooops I've seem to run out of space

sorry guitarmaster, just ribbin ya :O)

iFreedom said:
guitarmaster said:
Kill me.................I prefer Mark III and Mark IIC+. I can't judge watching some videos but my opinions about "Modern Era amps" will be always the same...............without any intention to hurt the person who posted these videos. To be honest I have never seen a video that shows what this amp is able or not able to do.............I'm pretty disappointed. However thanks for the videos.

I.......would prefer..............a sperate mark iv........................and a iic+.....................if I had......................$5k.......................but I think............................the mark V................will still be pretty decent......................I hear ya about..................modern era amps....................................they do so much.....................................................its easy for ...................................................................................something to go wrong...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ooops I've seem to run out of space

Really? Was all that nonsense necessary...Sheesh :shock:

Shang Chi 66 said:
By the way. I hope I don,t get shot here for putting this out there. But it seems to me that you would be a great canidate for the Fractal Ax-Fx. Guys rave about the quality of amp sims (particularily, the Mark IV & IIC+ models) & effects. And, quick straight into the board set up (no poweramp is necessary). You say that you have alot to do at your gigs, so think about it...no cab to carry, no "real" amps to lug. MIDI switcher on the floor, into the board and done til soundcheck.

Waayyy to much tweaking capability for me, but for you... all of your presets done before hand at practice, etc...there,s your midi convenience, and then some...just a thought.

I had the AXE-Fx Standard for about 8 months and had to let it go. I could never get it to sound right as an "all in one" amp sim without using it as part of an effects chain into a real amp - kind of defeating the purpose. Plus the tweaking... the ENDLESS tweaking. I've just got more to do than tweak an effects processor all day. I'm not knocking it - it is just not for me. I knew I liked the Mark V the minute after I plugged into it at the Hollywood store about a month ago. It was totally random - I was there killing time - knew nothing about the amp and all the history. It just had that "it" factor when I plugged in and I was sold on it. I actually didn't know they weren't released yet. Perfect size, perfect tones, easy to dial in with all my axes, and the price is very reasonable. I'm not emotionally tied to any of the classic Mark series tones - so I'm not really trying to get any particular sound out of it other than what I think feels and sounds good to me for my stuff. My knowledge of the Mark series amps and their particular sounds is literally from reading the boards here and listening to user clips and such while I was waiting for the amp to be released. Prior to that I had been playing stuff like Matchless, Egnater Mod 100 series (half stack) and 65 Amps stuff.

I am very happy with many of the midi switching solutions mentioned by users on this board and the many people willing to help me out have been very positive and great. I am very happy with the Mark V and I think it is an amp I can really grow with. I should have followed up on the midi switching issue when I first tried out the amp - but when I asked if it was midi switchable the guy said "yes" and I thought - cool... I'll take it.

It's all good... :wink:

JAZZGEAR said:
iFreedom said:
guitarmaster said:

Really? Was all that nonsense necessary...Sheesh :shock:

Guitarmaster, hope you know I was just having fun. Wasn't out to disrespect. I'm sure your very knowledgable. No hard feelings I hope.

Back