My Mark III is marked with an "R". Decode?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EOengineer

Reaction score
The blue stripe combo I just purchased is marked with a capital "R" under the power cord, next to MB's initials. Does this mean the amps been modded, or just indicating it has verb (it does).

I need a Mesa genius to decode!

You all are so extremely helpful. I've been lurking here for years, and have always been astounded at what a resource Mesa has for it's used buyers in having you all here.

So far I've seen 2 different mentions of reverb mods. One that makes it louder, and one that either makes it brighter or changes the tonality in some way. Which one do I have?

I just looked through the service notes I got with the amp from the original owner and there is no mention of anything done with the reverb so whatever was done to the reverb on mine had to be done at the factory. Curious if the color of the "R" has anything to do with certain mods done on the circuit at the factory. I do say that the reverb on mine is not the best. Its ok, but I would be ok with the entire circuit being pulled and would not miss it.

MrMarkIII said:
Facelift said:
MrMarkIII said:
Red "R" = Factory reverb mod.

what about a black "R"?

The red marker means they ran out of black markers.
(It's not a conspiracy, guys).

according to that analogy, the purple stripe meant they ran out of black markers, red stripe means they ran out of purple markers and so on....correct? :lol:

MrMarkIII said:
Facelift said:
MrMarkIII said:
Red "R" = Factory reverb mod.

what about a black "R"?

The red marker means they ran out of black markers.
(It's not a conspiracy, guys).

I called the factory, and after much poking and prodding, was able to get MB to admit that the "black R" revision Mark III is a super rare and valuable tone monster produced over a two day period where...he was hungover and couldn't find his red marker.

Kidding.

Seriously, I don't think anyone thought it to be anything abnormal. We are all just here to find answers.

exactly. Seeing how Mr Mark III said "Red" in his post, I decided to look and see if mine had an R at all and it was black so there came the question of different colored "R"s. I dont believe anyone, including myself, thinks about it as a conspiracy but as possibly an identification color for certain mods on the same circuit. Nothing more.

Mike said they used to mark them at the factory before they left to indicate it was done. Others were marked as people sent the amps back for service.
They would just do the mod regardless as part of the service.

Lots of folks think the Mark reverb is "weak". That's because it's a nine-spring, long decay tank (9AB2A1B), which is more diffuse than the four-spring, medium decay tank we are all familiar with from Fender black face amps.
Get an Accutronics 4AB2A1B tank and get a more up-front, surfy reverb sound.

'R' for Reject - I don't use it. Haha.
I've used a pinch of it in bedroom settings.

I have a red 'R' and a black 'R' on mine.

Latest posts

Back