my mark iic+ -- get no distortation.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axelfatu

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a used mark iic+ amp on ebay and I got it serviced by a local Mesa Boogie technician in NJ.

So far this amp has amazing clean sounds, but I am not able to activate the distortion. I have pulled all the knobs and it is set to around 5 each setting. Someone told me that the Lead Drive knob sets the distortation off along with the Volume.

The repair shop is closed now and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what could be wrong. Like I said when all the knobs are pulled, I am still getting clean sounds, no distoration. I'll attach pics..

DSC00165(1).JPG

DSC00166(2).JPG

Note: The settings are not set to 5 in the pics

Thank you for any suggestions... Sorry I am a newbie with this AMP.

my first guess is the LDR, the relay that triggers the lead distortion channel, is faulty. I don't know how to fix these things though. Take it back to the tech...He shouldn't charge you $$ because this is something he should've picked up the first time he was servicing it. good luck.

Since you are a noob, I would start with the manual:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark%20II-C%20Manual%20-%20Maintenance%20&%20Repair.pdf

The Lead channel can be engaged by pulling the Lead Drive control if you do not have the footswitch.

The Mark III manual can be used as well, it's a little more informative. Just ignore the R2 information:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark%20III.pdf

Chris... 8)

Set your lead drive to 10 and the two masters to 3.Vol 1 put on about 6.If you pull the lead drive out and notice absolutely no change in volume or distortion level then I would suspect the switching circuit.If you have the footswitch hook it up and see if the channels switch with the footswitch.If so you could narrow the problem to just the pull switch being bad,otherwise it could be something in the switching circuit.

axelfatu said:
Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a used mark iic+ amp on ebay and I got it serviced by a local Mesa Boogie technician in NJ.

hey , wanna sell it to me?

axelfatu said:
Hi Guys,

Nick_cor said:
axelfatu said:
Hi Guys,

no :D

Back