my iic+ is literally smoking after 5 min of playing.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axelfatu

Reaction score
Hey guys, hows it going? I recently purchased and received a iic+ head off of ebay.

I installed 2 EL34's on the outer part and 2 6L6's inner (these are used from the previous owner), After 5 min playing with the amp (and it sounded AWESOME), it started smoking from the back and front of the unit. I immediately turned it off. I have it plugged into an 8OHM Rectifier 2x12 cab and was using the 8 OHM slot on the back of the amp. Do you know what this could be??? Now I am very afraid. I only have the Master set at level 3. The reverb is not plugged in and I made sure the wires were not touching any inner part of the amp. There is also no rubbish visible inside the amp either (i.e; wrapping, paper, gunk, etc). This is very frustrating, as I have had high hopes of it working right away.

The previous owner has had no problems when he had it and I have been touch with him about this. He suggests I post my problem here or have the amp checked out somewhere.

Thank you for any suggestions or comments.. I panicked and my heart dropped as soon as I saw the smoke (and it stunk!).

Could be something as simple as the tubes being damaged during shipping,causing them to short out.Are you able to open the chassis and look inside to see what burnt causing the smoke?If not I would think you would be better off taking it to someone who can.Toying with an amp if you dont know what you are doing could get you in more trouble.You could try new tubes,but if something inside burnt out you will most likely blow the new tubes as well.

Hey, I feel really sorry for you, check if the tubes has any cracks in them, look very closely, and if not, send the amp to a trustworthy tech! if the bill is too much , maybe you can sell it to me :wink:

Thank you very much for the replies guys.. I did not find any crack in the tubes. I really don't want to turn the unit on again.. I am afraid that it might cause more damage.

I will try to find an authorized Mesa Boogie technician. Hopefully someone can repair / find the problem to this amp. I've saved up so much money to buy this thing and its just heart breaking when it just does not work right the first time..

I'm open to any other suggestions you guys might have.

Thank you again.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Like you said, don't turn it on, and I suggest you contact ebay.com and tell them the guy sold you a broken item, I mean, why woudl anyone want to sell a mark IIC+ , he might be lying to you about it being in great condition adn that's the first time.. anyways, "sounds like dead on arrival " man, i feel so sorry for you.

Its possible the tubes were just damaged in shipping,happens quite often,if that is the case they most likely shorted and fried the screen resistors,not a big deal.You'd be surprised how much smoke can come from a couple of resistors cooking.I know it sucks to get an amp and have it not work when it arrives but dont get too down about it,it aint the end of the world.Where are you located?Maybe someone here can point you to a tech in your area.FWIW the tubes wont necessarilly show a crack if they are damaged,getting rattled around during shipping can disturb the internal elements and cause them to short out quickly when used.The fact that the amp worked for a few minutes and then something burned could indicate just that.You said the amp sounded awesome just before it smoked,amps quite often sound incredible just before the tubes die.If it were a case of something in the amp being burnt out before it was shipped,it most likely wouldnt have played for the few moments it did.Get it checked out,before you start placing the blame on the guy who sold it to you,it is very common for tubes to get beat up during shipping.

Nick_cor said:
Yeah, I know what you mean. Like you said, don't turn it on, and I suggest you contact ebay.com and tell them the guy sold you a broken item, I mean, why woudl anyone want to sell a mark IIC+ , he might be lying to you about it being in great condition adn that's the first time.. anyways, "sounds like dead on arrival " man, i feel so sorry for you.

I sold the amp and I don't know what happened to the amp in shipping. It really sucks. I certainly am an honest dealer and have bought and sold many amps thru this forum. :cry: I have no reason to sell someone a bad amp.

I would send it to "MB" at Boogie and have an over all check up. He knows best and will also know if the caps need changing etc. :D It'll REALLY sound good than! :D

MesieBooga said:
Nick_cor said:

I sold the amp and I don't know what happened to the amp in shipping. It really sucks. I certainly am an honest dealer and have bought and sold many amps thru this forum. :cry: I have no reason to sell someone a bad amp.

alrighty then, i believe you, it just seems weird you know.. but i said that before i heard a really good explenation of why there would be smoking.. the screen resistor got fried or something ..

Axel,like I said before, if you post where you are,maybe someone on this board can direct you to a tech near you.Mesieboogie has been posting here for quite some time and the fact that he has come forward here and stated that the amp was fine before he shipped it,would lead me to believe that a tube was likely damaged in shipping and what I said is most likely what happened.I am sure taking it to a local tech would faster and less expensive than shipping it to Mesa.

A similiar thing happened to me with my Mark II. Smoke came out of the 5-Band EQ graphic slots. Amp stop playing.

Have you ever seen a grown man cry?

I opened up that chassis and could not find where it burned out. Well I did not look hard enough though.

Brought to the Authorized MESA Boogie tech, he said "A faulty electrolytical capacitors is the likely culprit". He actualy changed them not only just the one that went out. It is fine since.

But not to sure if this is similar to your situation.

Thanks for the replies guys. I live in Philadelphia, PA.

I called and spoke to a service technician by the name of Rich, however he asked me to call him back within the hour and so I did but got his Voicemail... left a lengthy voicemail for him.

Hopefully, I'll hear back from him. There are authorized Mesa Technicians near philly?

axelfatu said:
Thanks for the replies guys. I live in Philadelphia, PA.

I called and spoke to a service technician by the name of Rich, however he asked me to call him back within the hour and so I did but got his Voicemail... left a lengthy voicemail for him.

Hopefully, I'll hear back from him. There are authorized Mesa Technicians near philly?

Was that the Rich from Time Electronics? If so, the guy is a legendary tech, but equally legendary at not returning calls and being VERY hard to get ahold of. If anyone can diagnose and fix your unit, he can - but don't hold your breath in terms of getting fast responses to your questions. If you want to use him, your best bet is to actually go see him in person. Just my $0.02.

I realize you're in PA, but there's a guy in NJ here who does great work. If you NEED the amp back fast, he'll work with you for a slight upcharge. Let me know if you want his info. He's Mesa authorized.

plumptone:

Yes, I'd love to have that information.

Can he also rehook the wires for the reverb and check everything else out?

Thanks man

axelfatu said:
plumptone:

Thanks man

Does anyone know if the white wire is in amps front or back?

axelfatu said:
plumptone:

Thanks man

He can fix anything on the amp. He'll have it singing for you.

Back