My IIC+ combo, reborn

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LockStock

Reaction score
Sent my black tolex combo off to MB at MB and this is how it was returned to me. The nerve of him!

Picture002.jpg

It's a fully loaded export, sounds great at any volume. That's a Thiele with the old EV in it. I like it through my Marshall 4x12 with mid-80s G12T-75s quite a bit.

Evidence Lyric cable, yes, but that one you saw on the ground was the generic Lava Cable brand - that's actually my favorite. The Evidence covering catches on EVERYTHING. It's like velcro, and it twists. But it sounds great....

Picture001.jpg

Thanks all. And yes, geez, that Imbuya wood is so freaking expensive now. And they don't have enough left of sufficiant size to do anything bigger than what I did - a short head and a Thiele 1x12. But before you think "boy, some guys have all the luck/money." I bet a lot of you have greater riches than me - I'm literally stuck to playing in a bedroom. I never get out to gig...I'd give an eyetooth to be in a band with the freedom to play out...but family and job time commitments say otherwise. Someday I'll retire and use this as my "cred" to get into a geezer Metallica cover band...

Yo LockStock... did you get this through Showcase? I heard about this from Doug. That is the sweetest amp and story I've heard. It didn't take that long for you to have this done and the price isn't as astronomical as people would think. Anyway, it was when he was telling me about your amp (if it is you) that he mentioned the new amp rumor (see other thread). Again, that is one sweet IIC+. Congratulations!!!

You really screwed up. Now you have something so incredible looking that you will now stare at it for hours and forget to play. I know, because this is what I do.... :D

Sweet Rig !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Mark Fore said:
Yo LockStock... did you get this through Showcase? I heard about this from Doug. That is the sweetest amp and story I've heard. It didn't take that long for you to have this done and the price isn't as astronomical as people would think. Anyway, it was when he was telling me about your amp (if it is you) that he mentioned the new amp rumor (see other thread). Again, that is one sweet IIC+. Congratulations!!!

Thanks, man. Yep, I went through Showcase for it, and Doug helped me out tremendously. Got some great talking time with MB himself too. I've shoed in some the original NOS preamp tubes, Sylvania 6L6s in the middle, and Sylvania 6ca7s on the outside. And my ears are still ringing...and I'm not just saying that.

Guitar Showcase is in San Jose, CA and is an institution. They've had the same people working there for years. It is like a family. I bought my first guitar there in '82 from the guy that is still managing the place. I think I purchased every Mesa product ever made there over the years (starting with a Mark III which I stupidly sold of course). Just for context, San Jose is about 2 hours from the Mesa factory in Petaluma, CA. And Rich Longacre (check the Mesa catalog) from Mesa used to work at the San Jose Guitar Center. I used to take the bus to buy stuff from him in the 80's.

Another really noteworthy thing about Guitar Showcase is their vintage collection. They often have very cool stuff on consignment cheap. I drop my kids off for music lessons, then stroll over and drool. I didn't know someone from there had founded Guitar Player magazine. Anyway, I think it's worth a visit for their vintage collection and Mesa gear if you're in the area.

Hey, LockStock...that is a sweet amp!!! Showcase is THE place!!!! I have been going there for 27 years! :shock: It is truly an institution for musicians here in the Bay Area, and they always have tons of great gear. I went in there two weeks ago and just drooled at all the Boogies!!! They had a nice used Blue Angel 1x12 combo there that day. I Love Showcase :)

Cheers,

Richt

Lockstock, I don't post here that much, but I wanted to say I agree, and that is a sweet set up.

Just out of curiousity, you mentioned wanting to be in a Metallica cover band... surely you don't play "that" kind of music out of that work of art??

if the intended sarcasm didn't make itself relevant in my last statement, this statement is to assure you it is there.

Well, you know, I have those settings that Metallica used for their MOP album, and I love that album, and it's dang near impossible for me to have a IIC+ and not dial those up and see where it comes out. Of course, it comes out dang near spot on...if only I didn't have this export OT... :D

But actually, I have a 4X12 with some G12T-75s from 1984, and that is the cab that I plug into when I want to play Metallica (because I'm a fanboy and that's what they used) - I don't use that Thiele. So technically, no, I don't play Metallica through THAT particular setup...

BTW, thanks for all the nice words guys. This thing sits in my tiny room and I just feel I'm not worthy. I am fully aware that many out there could put it to much better use, and of course I'm hopeful that one day my eldest son, now 6 and every bit the Metallica fan too, one day puts it to better use. It's funny how an amp can be so humbling.

Latest posts

Back