My Dream Theater Tribute Band - VRA (MP3 Inside)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enc3f4L0

Reaction score
Hi folks!

I've recently joined up with my brother and a friend of mine to oficially start a DT Tribute band... It's something we've been talking about for a long time and that finally happened.

We are looking for a Keyboardist to complete the lineup...

We recorded a demo of 'Just Let me breathe' yesterday to make it easier for a keyboard player to get inspired (or not) to join us.

You guys are welcome to listen and comment on the recording...

http://www.ladobstudio.com.br/audio/VRA_-_Just_Let_Me_Breathe(without_keys-vocals).mp3

Hope you like it.

Thiago.

It wasn't actually one day non stop...

It's more like 2 'overnights'.

The drummer owns the studio so he can't have us recording daytime. He needs clients ;)

The first night he recorded drums, second night we did bass and guitars.

So technically it adds up to a little less than a day.

asdfg said:
sounds like you used electronic drums...
am I right?

Uh... No.

It was an acoustic Pearl Export played by our drummer César Zolhof.

That's strange... Bass drum seems to be triggered, and cymbals sound strange too (for me)
I'm not an expert, it's just my opinion.
Btw. good luck with your band.

i think drums sound absolutely real. never heard a drum-machine doing thoose sounds... Portnoy's drum sound on Images and Words and Awake is way more artificial! :wink: :wink: :wink:

ytse_jam said:
i think drums sound absolutely real. never heard a drum-machine doing thoose sounds... Portnoy's drum sound on Images and Words and Awake is way more artificial! :wink: :wink: :wink:
I meant MIDI drums (like Roland V-drums), not a drum-machine :twisted:
You're right, Portnoy's drum sound on Images and Words is not very good (influenced by 80's - in a negative way :D )

Hehe... I assure you no MIDI was used. :)

We are recording the next song... Drums are done already. We are getting it all on video this time.

Guitars and Bass will take a while to get done... My brother and I are going on a trip to Florida in 3 weeks... We wanna record after the trip, when we'll hopefully have some new amps/cabs to play with. :D

asdfg said:
I meant MIDI drums (like Roland V-drums), not a drum-machine :twisted:
sorry!i'm italian an not so expert in english language :wink: , so perhaps i actually don't know what is a drum-machine or just what it means...! i thought they were synonimous of thoose vst plugins/midi drums or similar things! bye!

sounds super, great job

that's the closest tone I've heard to the JP's for that song

That is fantastic, bro'. Not only is the timing nice and tight, but the tones are really slick. Great job!

Hey Enc, what where your settings on your amp when you did that song if you don't mind me asking. I have a mark IV short head and just bought an ibanez rg1527 so I'm messing with the 7 string dream theater stuff. So if you don't mind, could you share your settings and what they were in (mid gain, harmonics etc.) Thanks.

I wouldn't know the exact setting... Sorry.
I fussed alot with them at the studio until I was happy and then later on at home I changed them for bedroom playing.

I usually use Simulclass/Harmonics/Triode... I might have changed to Pentode at the recording but I'm not sure.

The bass and mid are usually at 3-4 and Treble 7-8. Gain (with Pull Fat) at 8 while drive at 6-7.

That should be a good starting point to get the sound I used on the recording.

Latest posts

Back