My Boogie needs a re tube?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leegold

Reaction score
My studio 22 w/eq I've had over 15 yrs.

It's beginning to sound flat - the shimmer is gone esp. on clean channel. What is the first thing to do?

I'm thinking of a re tube. What brand tubes should I get? I could call mesa and just ask them? should a special 12ax7 go into the first preamp stage?

Any other ideas? It's been awesome in the past so it's worth fixing...

I was a very loyal Mesa tube buyer since 1991 for my Mark IV until I ordered a complete retube from them. The quality of the tubes were horrible. I thought I had just got a bad batch until I ordered a complete retube for my Road King. Guess what, they were crap too. Five or so years ago, Mesa tubes were incredible, I don't know what happened to the quality control as of late. I decided to sell my Mark IV but I wanted to put some cheap working tubes in it to make it attractive to a buyer so I ordered a set of JJ tubes from Eurotubes. HOLY CRAP, my Mark IV was back and sounded even better than ever before. Mark IV, not for sale! Then I did the Road King, totally freakin' nuts, the beast is back.
Mesa builds one incredible amplifier but their tube quality is not quite what it used to be. IMHO, I'd really like to see Mesa collaborate with JJ and offer their tubes exclusively. Call or e-mail Bob at Eurotubes and tell him what you have, he can put together a set that will blow you away.

HappyStrat said:
I was a very loyal Mesa tube buyer since 1991 for my Mark IV until I ordered a complete retube from them. The quality of the tubes were horrible. I thought I had just got a bad batch until I ordered a complete retube for my Road King. Guess what, they were crap too. Five or so years ago, Mesa tubes were incredible,

Sad to hear. I am a long time Boogie user (since 88) but I’m new to this forum and was wondering why I always seen ‘Eurotubes” “JJ’s” and so on but not a mention for Boogie tubes. I guess question answered.

I'll call Eurotube and try to resurrect this little tone monster.

Just some additional stuff. Only my opinion:

1. A long time a go Mesa told me to use USA Sylvania 6BQ5 (EL84) in my particular "vintage" because at the time the only Russian substitutes available had very different bias points - Mesa locks in the bias points with a non-adjustable resistor vs a potentiometer. I've heard all the arguments but still think they should use a pot...

A very compact design:

2. The tube sockets are on the circuit board - a "no-no". But never had problems. The filter caps are soldered to the main board too - wish they were off to the side.

3. A volume pot needs changing - I don't know if there's enough room for a military grade one...

Back