MXR Distortion+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blasted

Reaction score
So I put an add or Craigslist SF to sell or trade a semi-functioning Marshall VS65R combo amp for a tuner pedal or a tubescreamer. I'm pretty familiar with the tubescreamer, and like the boost that it gives to my mark iv. The only reply that I've gotten so far is some dude that is offering up a MXR Distortion+. Any experience with these and a Mark IV? How do they compare to a Tubescreamer?

Thanks!

I would go with the Tube Screamer, but it depends on what kind of music you do. The heavier sound you want, the more you might consider the MXR.

The Tube Screamer can be modded, I dont know if there are any mods for the MXR. Most pedals need to be modded in order to make them as quiet as possible (reduce the noise floor) and give them tighter warmer sound, etc. There are 4 or 5 places out there that can do a very nice mod job on a Tube Screamer. I suppose Whizzer and Keeley are the two I think of most often.

You might go to ToneJamFX.com and see if he has a mod for the MXR.

The MXR is a nice pedal for sure but feel a Tube Screamer is allot more flexible and a bit better sounding to me. But more important at high settings the Tube Screamer is tighter sounding were the MXR can get a little muddy in the low end.

I personally did not like the mxr, I was looking for a boost tho. the mxr does not have any boost its basicaly distortion only the volume knob can only reduce the output not increase it.

I used an MXR Distortion + in the early 80's. It is a distortion, not an overdrive like the TS. I liked it for what it was. Best example of music I think goes back to Randy Rhoads...he used one on all his Ozzy recordings.

RB

Back