Mullard EL84s in LSS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstebnicki

Reaction score
I've tried to read as much as I can to get the a great retube of my LSS 1x12. I like a nice chimey high end on my clean channel and a bright medium-gain overdrive. Would the Mullard EL84s be good choice? Seem's there are mixed opinions with the JJ's. I'm not overly keen to spend a fortune on NOS tubes, but I am willing if it is truly justified.
With regards to the pre-amp tubes, I'm looking at some Tung-Sols and maybe one or two JAN 5751's in V2 and V5.
Does this sound like a good idea? I'm over in Sydney Australia, so the postage starts to add up when buying a lot and mixing & matching.
Cheers
Glen

Hi Glen,

When I first tried the EL84 Mullard reissues in my VOX AC30 and later in my LSS, they didn't do anything for me. The LSS in particular sounded better to my ears with the original Mesa tubes than with anything else (including NOS Siemens EL84s and NOS Mullard ECC83 short plates) until I changed the speaker to a Heritage Celestion G12H made in the UK. It was then that the NOS Mullards started to really shine and I was getting the sound I was looking for. I was happy with the reissues in the power section but then I decided to try a pair of NOS Mullard EL84 in 15w mode and the difference was very noticeable. The silky tone you get from the old stuff is just not there in the reissues.

Then again, it was the G12H the main factor in making it all sound great together to my ears. Out of the box, the LSS is so well done that if you don't change anything you have already an amazing sounding amp. :)

Latest posts

Back