Mullard ecc83 in V1 anyone? and Phase Inverter??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kungfujews

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has tried these? I've become a bit obsessed with changing tubes and experimenting with tone lately and have just put a 1950s long plate mullard ecc83 in my boogie mk4b V1 position as well as a couple of nos short plate ones in V2 and 3... Holy **** - this is the best tone I have ever had or heard! I used to think the output valves made the biggest difference, and true enough my =c= did enhance my tone, but boy I now know I was wrong! These tubes have taken my amp to another level!

Here's the real problem I've got and wondered if anyone can advise? I've got one more NOS Mullard long plate left and wondered which preamp position would suit it best?? I've heard that the phase inverter (V5 in my mk IV ) will have the greatest impact on tone behind the V1 input tube? Someone suggested I try this 'next best' tube in V2? - is anyone 'techy' enough to advise me on this ?

Cheers, Jason

sovtek lps for the PI.

some would argue for matched sections.

i noticed a difference.

roll them in and out, see what sounds best.

dont pigeonhole your tube thinking into just "having this left over so i'll just throw it in there"

keep chasing that dragon!!!!

hey,

I think after V1 and V2, then V3 is next most important... for the lead channel anyway. Maybe try a USA made (Sylvania, RCA, GE, Tung Sol) 5751 for the PI. they sound great there

scott

I would put a 12AT7/ECC81 in the PI, not in V1. In the PI, it will open out the sound, improve depth and clarity, and lower the overall gain very slightly. In V1, it will significantly reduce gain and make the sound thinner and brighter, not in a good way.

*DO NOT* try a 12AT7 (or 12AY7) in V3 or V4, these are cathode-follower positions and you will probably blow the tube. 12AX7s and 12AU7s have a cathode-to-filament rating of 250V, 12AT and AY7s only 90V. The cathode voltage in these positions is around 200V.

Latest posts

Back