More crunch out of R1 in a Mark iii blue stripe?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andykrow

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm just wondering what I can do to get a little more overdrive out of R1 on my blue stripe. I really prefer the sparkle of R1 over the darkness of R2, but I would love just a tad more gain. I am currently running volume 1 completely dimed. The guitar is a US strat with a Texas special in the neck and a Duncan in the bridge. The Duncan can overdrive R1 no problem but I need a bit more out of the neck, if possible.

I know the usual response is to boost the signal going in, but all I have right now are a Rat and a Tubescreamer, both of which color the sound more than I would like.

Does anyone have any recommendations, maybe a particular tube for V1 that gives a little more overdrive? Perhaps a *really* clean boost that still lets a Strat sound like it should? Any amp mods to give R1 a bit more boost?

Thanks in advance!

Maybe an Xotic RC Booster pedal would do the trick. I have one that I only use when I split the coils on my humbuckers. It brings the signal back up while still retaining the single-coil sound.

Dark R 2 on a blue stripe.....what are your setting ?
the blue is supposed to be the brightest III and I don't have this problem with mine.
R2 is darker then lead but just as is should be for me.
otherwise a compressor would do the trick too, I can do it with my Bass comp MXR by pushing the out knob but it increase the loudness....

I guess I mean R2 is just darker on mine compared to R1 and Lead.

Off the top of my head for settings I have my mids around 7-8, bass around 2, deep pulled. I can get R2 in the vicinity of R1 if I pull bright AND crank the treble. But it still doesn't have the fender-ish chime that R1 has. And then, R1 is unusably bright, and Lead is a bit bright too. (although I can EQ that out with the auto setting.)

If using R1 i have my treble sitting around 5, without the pull bright. And then lead sits in a nice sweet spot.

That RC booster looks interesting, I may need to track one down.

I've always shied away from compressors as I find I lose some of that raw strat tone. Maybe I need to revisit that too though. Any recommendations?

Are you switching between channels? On my green stripe, I think R2 sounds pretty weak next to R1 or L but pretty decent if I just set it up and play it on its own. I just have to make sure not to switch channels though, or my brain starts to hear R2 as sounding loose/muffled again.

First noticed this when my lead/rhythm switch went out and I ended up playing half a practice switched into R2 instead of L (because I hadn't been playing the amp for long and was still getting the hang of its controls).

Tubes will make a big difference, especially in V1 where a N.O.S. is recommended, you have to try one first as every amp seems to like a specific type. My blue stripe liked an old General Electric and my black dot loves Amperex Bugle Boy tubes but not vice-versa. Crunch in channel one? Wrong amp IMO.

I use an MXR microamp clean boost. It does a FANTASTIC job of making R1 and R2 breakup into lovely bright, singing overdrive. Totally alters the inherent darkness of R2. Used it for nearly 30 years and at every gig with my Mk3

The MXR microamp+ adds a treble and bass control too.

Dimed R1 does a great Texas blues with my Purple stripe and great plexi like sound on R2 with the MXR around two thirds full gain.

I too dislike tubescreamers for this job. Just makes it middier and muddier. I tried an 60's Mullard ECC83 in V1 but it was too much. Got Tungsrams in the preamp now.

I really like a Rat set to very low gain with the R1, but if that colors in a way you don't prefer, Tim/Timmy are a great option and the most colorless clean boost I know of. The added bass/treble controls are a welcome bonus.

Sorry, been away from the computer for the weekend ;)

I agree that R2 sounds weak next to R1 and L, hence why I want R1 to handle it for me. Like I said, I can get R2 "close" but it just isn't quite there, and then R1 is just way too clean and L isn't quite right. I do channel switch but it's just between Lead and Rhythm. I don't need three channels.

I respectfully disagree that this is the wrong amp for what I want, haha. R1 is so close... Just a touch more breakup is all I'm asking for... It does have some breakup and it sounds amazing, which is why I am hoping the amp can do this for me.

I think my first step here will be a compressor that can also add some clean boost. I'd like to get the neck and bridge pickups a bit more even anyway, and since the bridge can already get some nice breakup on R1 it stands to reason that just boosting my neck signal a touch will get me where I want. Looking at either a Wampler or a Smoothie right now.

I do want to experiment with tubes but with NOS that can get a little pricey. Promethean - what do you mean by "Too much" with the Mullard?

Thanks for all the advice, guys!

@ Snottyboy I LOVE my early 90s rat 2 but not for colorless clean. Mine really doesn't really clean up enough anyway. At super low gain it just doesn't sound right. I will say it is cleaner than the tubescreamer, but neither of these pedals will serve the purpose I need.

Now, that Timmy is mighty interesting. I feel some strong GAS coming on. Ugh. Must resist.

I use a Wampler Tom Quayle Dual fusion (the right side of it, the left side adds color) set low for this exact purpose. It's very transparent and I use it for both my Boogies and my Fenders. The right side of the Tom Quayle is supposed to be the equivalent to their Euphoria drive pedal which is cheaper.

Pick up a RFT ECC83. It makes the amp breathe fire compared to the stock mesa tubes.

I think I have all JJ's in there right now, fairly recent within the last 6 months I believe. Previous owner had done a recent retube. Where would you put that RFT tube? V1? When I get a little spare cash I will be grabbing up some NOS to play around with this thing.

That said.. The compressor idea got me thinking and I read through the ovni page until I was blue in the face. I picked up a used dod milk box based on his recommendations for the best cheap compressor out there, just to see if I even want to be using a compressor. And I must say this thing BLEW MY MIND, haha.

First off, a volume boost going in to the front end was all I really needed to make R1 come alive. All the crunch I want.

Second, this is just a really great compressor and using it with a Strat has done wonders with my band. It's "mostly" transparent - just a slight fattening of the tone - and it's quiet enough and really, REALLY smooth. I have it turned on all the time.

As I'm sure you all know Strats have SUCH a wide range of beautiful tones, but they happen at all sorts of different volume levels. Being able to have the super-light playing styles pop out, and the hard picking SRV/hendrix-y stuff NOT be crazy loud has been sort of an epiphany for me. My band mates just about $h!t themselves when they heard this setup for the first time.

Couple that with finally getting this mkiii REALLY dialed and I am in tone heaven. Sorry to be gushing but I've been playing over 20 years and I've never had it this good :) I must say I get it, this mesa thing. Blue stripe for the win!

Thanks for all the good advice guys!

Latest posts

Back