MkV buyers using it ONLY for metal ??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOEY B.

Reaction score
WTF???

I hope that all the fuss about the MkV being able to do metal is not the primary focus of a potential purchase. Why would anyone think that it couldn't do metal, except for reviews by people who played the open back combos and compared them to their half stacks? :roll:

My point is that buying a new MkV and not using the other channels is like buying a new Ferrari and only driving it on straight roads at maximum speed. Sure it's fun, but there is so much more to experience.

If I was only interested in METAL, and had the funds for a MkV, I would probably but a pair of MkIII heads, all new tubes for each amp, and a good A/B/Y pedal for about the same money. If you already have a stereo capable 4x12 cabinet, it will be very easy. I have owned a 150 watt Mark III, and it does the "metal" thing better than my loaded C+. :D

Would you guys buy a Road King, to only use channel 4 ????

Using a mark 5 for metal is GAY! Go buy a line 6 to play your butt rock.

goneloco said:

Ouch!!!!

I was trying not to be that harsh. :wink: Some of you guys need to open your minds to other styles of music. Randall Smith has gone to extremes with his designs to please many types of players. I listen to many types of music, with the exception of country and bluegrass, but I still respect the talent that it takes to play them. My name is Joey and I am a recovering metalhead. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, **** man, i need this amp to be able to keep up with my palm mutes. Can it do teh metal?

Of course if i want LOG tones i can always throw a mic on my toilet bowl.

JOEY B. said:
WTF???

I hope that all the fuss about the MkV being able to do metal is not the primary focus of a potential purchase. Why would anyone think that it couldn't do metal, except for reviews by people who played the open back combos and compared them to their half stacks? :roll:

My point is that buying a new MkV and not using the other channels is like buying a new Ferrari and only driving it on straight roads at maximum speed. Sure it's fun, but there is so much more to experience.

If I was only interested in METAL, and had the funds for a MkV, I would probably but a pair of MkIII heads, all new tubes for each amp, and a good A/B/Y pedal for about the same money. If you already have a stereo capable 4x12 cabinet, it will be very easy. I have owned a 150 watt Mark III, and it does the "metal" thing better than my loaded C+. :D

Would you guys buy a Road King, to only use channel 4 ????

Dude channel one on tweed on 10w class A with gain maxed is crazy with a strat! Channel 2 is very creamy.

This amp is so versitile. and it nails metal as well.

i was a Marshall man when the IV came out..did it bring this many newbies to the board,as the V has???I have been amazed at the new traffic here over the last month or so-seems like a lot of young players who are new to the Mark series, for sure-I love how so many are rating this amp after a few hours/days with them-def. new to Mark amps!
...maybe we need two mark V forums-one for the post pubescent metal heads, and one for us old sh!theads :D
...NAMM shootout soon MK V vs the rest..hopefully before I get any older or sh!ttier!

boogieslayer said:
goneloco said:

your an IDIOT

not everyone wants to play justine timberpussy like you...

Easy there, hoss. I cut my Boogie fangs on the 1982 Ozzy "Speak of the Devil" album (vinyl). It was VERY "metal" in the day. You seem to be missing the point that the MkV is an amp designed to do more than the modern day metal. :wink:

.......spoken from an old Mark series "********". :D

I think before you get up on your "This amp is too good for metal" high horses, you should listen to some good metal and hear the varying tones that are used. For example: Mastodon and Gojira use a rock tone which could be found on channel 2 of the MKV and clean tones, which are used along side their high gain tones to create dynamics in their music.

This is what I am using it for, as I play metal with acoustic parts and am looking to incorporate a rock tone into my arsenal with the MKV. It all depends on the individual player.

I have tried out Laneys, Marshalls, Dual Rec's, Carvin Legacy, THD, Peavey 5150, Krank, Randall and think the MKIV tones I have heard **** on them all. I wouldn't have bought a MKIV though, because I want good cleans and rock capable tones too.

Azrehan said:
I think before you get up on your "This amp is too good for metal" high horses, you should listen to some good metal and hear the varying tones that are used. For example: Mastodon and Gojira use a rock tone which could be found on channel 2 of the MKV and clean tones, which are used along side their high gain tones to create dynamics in their music.

This is what I am using it for, as I play metal with acoustic parts and am looking to incorporate a rock tone into my arsenal with the MKV. It all depends on the individual player.

I have tried out Laneys, Marshalls, Dual Rec's, Carvin Legacy, THD, Peavey 5150, Krank, Randall and think the MKIV tones I have heard sh!t on them all. I wouldn't have bought a MKIV though, because I want good cleans and rock capable tones too.

Good metal = what??

I have owned a MkI (1978) for many years until lately, and a 10/50/100 Lonestar after that. In between were many Mark III (2 Coliseum models) and both Mark IV versions. There was even a 2 channel Triple Rectifier in the mix for a few years. I currently own a pair of loaded C+ heads which are NOT for sale. I know Metal and Other guitar tones very well. Open your ears to something other than Metal, please. :twisted:

if i was still 17 years old and had the interest to play metal,i would pick up one of the lastest randall heads. i heard them at namm. they have some serious metal tone. as for a mark v for metal " ill pass "

lesterpaul said:
i was a Marshall man when the IV came out..did it bring this many newbies to the board,as the V has???I have been amazed at the new traffic here over the last month or so-seems like a lot of young players who are new to the Mark series, for sure-I love how so many are rating this amp after a few hours/days with them-def. new to Mark amps!
...maybe we need two mark V forums-one for the post pubescent metal heads, and one for us old sh!theads :D
...NAMM shootout soon MK V vs the rest..hopefully before I get any older or sh!ttier!

Yeah. I,m a new voice here (the Mark 5 will be my first Boogie), and I noticed the same thing. This is the only forum I post on, and at first I did,nt think very much of it. But then I,m like, wow, alot of these cats here are as new as I am. And since then, every day it seemed, someone new had joined.

It,s like the re-birth of The Boogie Board due to the Mark 5! A new amp- has brought in all of these new members. It,s pretty cool, and I,m happy to be a part of it!

JOEY B. said:
Azrehan said:

I have tried out Laneys, Marshalls, Dual Rec's, Carvin Legacy, THD, Peavey 5150, Krank, Randall and think the MKIV tones I have heard sh!t on them all. I wouldn't have bought a MKIV though, because I want good cleans and rock capable tones too.

Good metal = what??

I have owned a MkI (1978) for many years until lately, and a 10/50/100 Lonestar after that. In between were many Mark III (2 Coliseum models) and both Mark IV versions. There was even a 2 channel Triple Rectifier in the mix for a few years. I currently own a pair of loaded C+ heads which are NOT for sale. I know Metal and Other guitar tones very well. Open your ears to something other than Metal, please. :twisted:

Read what you are quoting. :roll:

...Gojira, Mastodon. I threw those in to show you some bands that use different guitar tones in metal. I can write you a much more extensive list if you need.

Also, I listen to mostly non-metal music. Led Zeppelin, Radiohead, Ulver, Bjork, Tool, David Bowie, QOTSA, Shins, Early U2, Al Di Meola, etc etc.

My ears are very open. :lol:

Shang Chi 66 said:
It,s like the re-birth of The Boogie Board due to the Mark 5! A new amp- has brought in all of these new members. It,s pretty cool, and I,m happy to be a part of it!
....welcome aboard-we will see how many stick around when the "new" wears off(..could be a while, seeing how they arent popping up everywhere yet...)
..wouldnt call it a rebirth-this place is just fine without it-the true core of this mb is the technical advice and knowledge of all the Boogie "keepers of the flame"...from tubes,capacitors,resistors, folklore,etc...you can really add some insight to your whole gig-if you stay here long enough, you will be drawn in by the mystical qualities of the C+...FEAR NOT...plenty of room for everyone
..now,where is my **** V??

Latest posts

Back