MKIV first impression

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdesalvo

Reaction score
I just returned from the Mesa Hollywood store, where I dropped off the chassis of the MKIV short combo I just brought it in for new tubes and routine maintenance. Luckily the shop is only a few blocks down the street from me haha. I guess I've been taking that for granted. Anyway, here's the scoop:

MKIVB Short Combo: Circuit board indicated "8/93". Combo has the Sus-4 suspension (which is very clever), the original EVM 12" Black Shadow (193lb magnet), reverb/fan, and trak-loc casters, which are also very clever in design. Tubes were the originals- power tubes were Str-420s 6L6GCs haha. PO had an old crusty GT 12AX7 in V1.

Like everyone else has overstated, the tone controls, with their myriad of switches and pots, are very interactive and powerful in shaping not only the overall tone, but feel of the amp. I am amazed at how much high quality gain this amp is capable of producing and it's ability to limitlessly shape it. The gain can be focused and tight, loose and mushy, thin, or thickly saturated depending on your settings. And I can honestly see how people unfamiliar with setting the tone controls on these can wander into less than spectacular tones. Also of note, this is the first Boogie I've owned with an on-board GEQ, that sounds great without it engaged. The DC-3/10s I've owned were way too mid-rangey and flat without the GEQ engaged at all times.

Oh, and it's plenty loud as a combo and I'm almost regretting the fact that I have a chassis kit and a nice ATA rack on the way over; its so compact and convenient as is. ****, have I mentioned how cool the Trak-Loc casters are?? I love the way the footswitch mounts on the rear of the cab.

I also had a pleasant experience at the Hollywood store- those guys are cool cats and love talking shop. I asked what preventive maintenance they would perform and he said that as long as the caps test fine, he would leave them be, as they are high-quality, epoxy-filled caps that don't leak or dry out as cheaper ones do. He would will also check the screen resistors, clean and adjust the sockets, pots, and jacks, etc...just run through it.

It was hard to let it go, though it'll be ready by this tuesday or wednesday. I can't wait to get it back and see if it plays nice with my 4x12 loaded with G12K-100s. We'll see. Might end up with a Stiletto 4x12.

Congrats on a great amp! I do love my IV! It was one of the last one's made. It's actually my second IV. I bought my first one around 1992 or 93. Should have never gotten rid of it. I was just burned out on the band thing at the time, and let it go. Glad I could get another before they stopped making it.

Nice! How do you like the mesa 4x12 with the MKIV? Also, I was talking about tubes with the tech over at the shop and he was saying they stopped using the Russian 2 preamp tubes becasue they had an huge amount of problems with them. He was saying they are now using tubes manufactured by JJ in the preamp and Chinese 6L6GCs. I'm curious how my amp will sound with fresh tubes haha. These puppies were 17 years old!

I just got use to using a 4x12 from my band days. I guess I can't imagine not using one. I just play at home too! :D I really like it with the mix of V30's and C90's too. They just compliment each other very well.

I'm not the one to talk to about tubes though. I've always just used stock tubes. Guess I've been happy enough not to worry about it. I do like the thought of experimenting with different tubes, but I can see where it could get pricey real quick if you didn't like the results.

Good luck!

8/93 is an early MK IV. I wonder if it's what I call a MK IV A/B.

Make sure they do the power amp stabilization mod. On the early B's Mesa forgot to add
the 2.2K bias feed resistors to the inner 6L6's.

The MK IV A/B will have the B effects loops but no relay to the left of the three 30uf/500V caps to switch the two caps
that re-voice the power amp for Clean/R2 and Lead modes. I have pictures of such a beast from a 9/28/93 circuit board.

Back