Mk3 Footswitch

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mak009

Reaction score
Hi I just made up a footswitch (dual) for my Mk 3 to control Lead and R2 functions.
So far I've found that the circuitry needs a discrete ground for each jack ie you can't use a standard stereo cable and share the ground.
Secondly- the factory FS I have lights up for Rhythm and not lit for Lead- kind of reverse to what you would intuitively want.
Has anyone worked out a better solution?
Cheers
MK

1.) Wrong, the dual footswitch shares 1 ground for both controls. IIRC, tip is reverb, ring is EQ, and sleeve is definitely ground.

2.) No, you can't reverse the logic on the LED. The LDR circuit, which also powers the footswitch LED is also shorted to ground when the lead channel is activated, so, no power is actually feeding the LED, it's all being dumped to ground.

what I'm saying is- I'm wanting to switch the Lead Channel and R2 :D
If I connect two separate simple switches they work just fine except if you accidentally allow the cases to touch- then the function is lost.
Thanks for clearing up why the logic? is reversed
cheers
MK

>Photi G< said:
1.) Wrong, the dual footswitch shares 1 ground for both controls. IIRC, tip is reverb, ring is EQ, and sleeve is definitely ground.

That is true for the Reverb/EQ ft. switch since they share the TRS jack. However the R2 ft. switch must have an isolated ground since the R2 relay derives it's power from the DC filament supply for V1 and does NOT share a common chassis ground with the other switching circuit.

Yea, sorry, I misread the question. The R2 function does require a discreet ground, since the footswitch is located between the 6VDC supply and the positive terminal on the relay. So the footswitch essentially supplies power for the switching of R2. So it isn't electrically possible to have a common ground. You will have to use a 4 conductor wire to make a RHY1/RHY2/LEAD switch. Wheile you're at it, you might as well integrate the EQ/REV functions as well, and use a 6-pin DIN cable to interface it to the amp. A breakout box at the amp will be necessary to convert it to 3 1/4" jacks though.

Mesa sells 'em. The guy advertising at the top of this page, Payne Labs, sells 'em.

Switchdoctor is another option, sell through e-bay. Should be able to tell you how they work next week.... :)

search here , [ boogie board , not this thread BUT here's the pic again ]
one jack , one resister , one l.e.d.
one footswitch, one box

eventually i'll clean out my photobucket account
and it'll go away
From another thread here , NOT this one

Last time , need not be anymore complicated
pedals001.jpg

Latest posts

Back