Mk V 25 - Clean headroom & volume

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubiux

Reaction score
I've read many posts, and threads on this amp, but pretty much all of the discussion is revolving around the crunch/high gain. Very little talk about the clean sound, and the headroom. How loud can this little amp get without breaking up? I really like the versatility, but the clean sound has to be really good, and quite loud, if I'm to look deeply into this amp. Any input would be great.

/T

I love the clean and find it plenty loud enough. However I like a little grit in my clean and ONLY play clean with the neck pickup.

If you like playing clean on the bridge it will be tougher at drummer volume. Even on neck it has some bite at drummer volume, but I actually prefer it.

If you need pristine clean at drummer volume, you probably want to look at the 90 watt mark V.

It's a 25 watt amp with EL84 tubes that break up really early. If you need an amp that is very loud without a PA for reinforcement this isn't the amp for you.
Now if you play gigs and rehearse where you can take advantage of the cab clone you'll be in heaven.
Buy a product that does what you want it to do. Don't be like many other guys here and buy a lunchbox amp only to complain about how it's not as loud as a Triple Recto. :lol:
Right tool for the right job.

Bell like cleans with a drummer just won't be possible. If you dont mind a little grit to the cleans you can go on 'cru ch' mode and lay off the gain and it should get plenty loud, but it won't be the perfect cleans you hear at lower volume

Thanks guys! I wasn't expecting the mk V 25 to be as loud as my Dual Recto, but point taken haha. I would be a dream to have a small tube amp, with loud ample headroom. I guess a full amp in a short head is my best best.

right on ryjan.i bought the mk5:25 strictly for a practice amp..i can get most of the same tones from it i get with my big v.
i for one dont have any of the channel volume problems im reading about..it has to be set up a certain way..
i really have some brutal tones with mk iv mode and i love it.....and sounds good at any volume...
i didnt like the el84 sound at first but am bonding with it quite well.....and it also has to do with the pickups that guys use in there guitars as well
imho.. :evil:

Latest posts

Back