Mk iv with Ev should i ditch the EV for a Celestion?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ec4321

Reaction score
Got a MK iv B this is my fourth boogie and the best ive owned. Its also the first with an EV speaker ( the others had celestions ). I cant believe how heavy this thing is with the EV and am considering changing it for a black shadow celestion, the EV is a bit too clinical for my ears. Any coments guys?

They are very different sounding and I would advise you to check one out first.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=6061

I would also trade you a Celestion for your EV if you are interested? It is a very subjective thing but I prefer the more accurate sound of the EVM 12L. Recently I have been pulling some of my ODs of the shelf and where some were sounding more similar through the Celestions I am now able to hear significant differences. Now by stomping through a line of ODs I can completely change the tone and response of my setup (IIC+ head with 2 Theiles). I am also getting less a less muddy sound when stacking ODs. Guess I need to invest in a larger pedal board and a looper. :roll:

i would stick with the ev. i have had three custom 90 blow in the mk 4 combo
they seem underpowered for the amp but they are a nice sounding speaker

I wouldn't ditch the EVM. That speaker is incredible. If anything mate it with a Celestion. The EVM though it may sound clinical to your ears provides clarity you won't find in other speakers. It is a good reference speaker also when comparing other speakers. One nice thing about the EVM is that it remains clear while a Celestion will mush. In addition to this the frequency range is better in the EVM. You get a better reproduction of what you are putting into it. If you add a Celestion it adds some mush but good mush. It becomes a balance that just sounds great because you still get the clarity of the bottom and top with good note articulation while then filling in between some with the Celestion.

The fact that the speaker is heavy is due to its basket and magnet. There is some sacrifice for good tone here. To get good tone you add weight. If you are looking to keep the combo light then get an extension cabinet that is loaded with a Celestion, swap the speakers out but be sure to still use the EVM after it is in the extension cabinet.

There is also this to consider. EV no longer makes the 200 watt EVM. The EVM has now become a 300 watter that is voiced slightly different. They made the 200 watter for a very long time. This speaker is becoming hard to find. Be sure you keep it if you choose not to use it. It will make your Mark IV worth more in the long run if you have it.

Russ said:
I wouldn't ditch the EVM. That speaker is incredible. If anything mate it with a Celestion. The EVM though it may sound clinical to your ears provides clarity you won't find in other speakers. It is a good reference speaker also when comparing other speakers. One nice thing about the EVM is that it remains clear while a Celestion will mush. In addition to this the frequency range is better in the EVM. You get a better reproduction of what you are putting into it. If you add a Celestion it adds some mush but good mush. It becomes a balance that just sounds great because you still get the clarity of the bottom and top with good note articulation while then filling in between some with the Celestion.

The fact that the speaker is heavy is due to its basket and magnet. There is some sacrifice for good tone here. To get good tone you add weight. If you are looking to keep the combo light then get an extension cabinet that is loaded with a Celestion, swap the speakers out but be sure to still use the EVM after it is in the extension cabinet.

There is also this to consider. EV no longer makes the 200 watt EVM. The EVM has now become a 300 watter that is voiced slightly different. They made the 200 watter for a very long time. This speaker is becoming hard to find. Be sure you keep it if you choose not to use it. It will make your Mark IV worth more in the long run if you have it.

You are a wise man grasshopper.

Mixing them is a great way to blend tones and really works well.
I personally think the EV is it. The new EV Black Label is is identical to the tone of the older 12L. After breaking it in an pounding it, in a side by side you could barely notice any difference from a new speaker to an original 84. I have heard a rumor that EV is going to remake the 200 watt 12L.
Also, I have done some reasearch and found out the the 12LB is basically based off the earliest 12L's that were rated for 300 watts. Go figure.

Don't forget, if you look hard enough you can find a Mesa Black Shadow EV 12L rated for 400 watts !!! If you find 4 you can build a 1600 watt cabinet and legally hunt deer off season by having them stroll past your speaker cabinet !!!! One dropped D chord and Arf$%^$$$%^ !!!! :D

Don't forget, if you look hard enough you can find a Mesa Black Shadow EV 12L rated for 400 watts !!! If you find 4 you can build a 1600 watt cabinet and legally hunt deer off season by having them stroll past your speaker cabinet !!!! One dropped D chord and Arf$%^$$$%^ !!!!

LMAAOOO!!!!

Boogiebabies said:
Don't forget, if you look hard enough you can find a Mesa Black Shadow EV 12L rated for 400 watts !!! If you find 4 you can build a 1600 watt cabinet and legally hunt deer off season by having them stroll past your speaker cabinet !!!! One dropped D chord and Arf$%^$$$%^ !!!! :D

OMG 1600 watts.... :shock: I never even thought about that.

The deer would fall over from the air movement alone. Then it would be holding its ears as it was blasted and die from sonic pressure.

Glad you want to keep the EV. Find yourself a Thiele with a Celestian, then swap the speakers. Or, for MONSTER punch and crunch, a Thiele with an EV.

Without an EQ, the EVM tends to be a bit harsh in a combo. The Thiele cab is designed to even out the frequency response of the 12L.

Back