Mk III with No Eq - Need suggestions for an EQ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
boss GE-7, the mxr one is good to..you could even go a rackmount one thats made for P.A's.. that would have complete controll over everything and be very flexable..

you'll spend around 150 bucks for a good EQ, why just not send the amp to Mesa so they can upgraded it?? you'll then have an original MKIII with EQ for just a hundred or so bucks more . . .

food for thought . . . :wink:

Vigo1999 said:
you'll spend around 150 bucks for a good EQ, why just not send the amp to Mesa so they can upgraded it?? you'll then have an original MKIII with EQ for just a hundred or so bucks more . . .

can they do the same mod to a MK IIb? If so, very tempting....

$450 for 2 small pcbs :shock: they have to take the pots off and change the faceplate, but that's far too much.

JimAnsell said:
jvk said:
You can build the Mesa EQ :)
really?
explain!

There's schematics floating around. Check blue guitar.

And on the mark schematic, it notes where the GEQ punches in/out.

It would be a relatively simple DIY mod, I'd say, as long as you're okay with it being outboard.

stevehollx said:
JimAnsell said:
jvk said:
You can build the Mesa EQ :)
really?
explain!

There's schematics floating around. Check blue guitar.

And on the mark schematic, it notes where the GEQ punches in/out.

It would be a relatively simple DIY mod, I'd say, as long as you're okay with it being outboard.

If you say so :D and you've built one, have you?

JamAnsell, the inductors are quite hard to find.

I use a Danelectro Fish'N'Chips. I have never had any issues with it and it does not add any noise to the chain when all knobs are set flat.

eldi said:
Vigo1999 said:

can they do the same mod to a MK IIb? If so, very tempting....

yeah, they can pretty much add EQ to any of the Mark series.

jvk said:
$450 for 2 small pcbs :shock: they have to take the pots off and change the faceplate, but that's far too much.

yeah that's sky up high! :shock:

maybe one of the tech guys here can build one?? boogiebabies maybe??

The inductors can be made by hand, I've built scores of them.

It's not really worth carving up a 20+ year old faceplate, unless you can do it cleanly and somehow create a stick-on decal for the EQ graphic.

I've built a replica of the EQ circuit and slider board. I make the inductors very pro stylee, they're potted with black goo and everything.

The MXR 10 is a fantastic EQ pedal, a much more practical option.

gts said:
Mesa EQ update is $400 (maybe it's $450 I forget)
Plus shipping to and from.
Would easliy end up being well over $500 (for me).
A pedal/ stompbox is a reasonable and less expensive alternative. Should If I ever decide to have Mesa do the EQ update I could sell the stompbox.

You could buy a used Studio pre for that kind of dough, and you'll be pretty darn close to a Mark IIC+ with money left over!

Or you could do like I did & find a Quad for $400.00.

Back