Mk III to Mike B.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpw

Reaction score
So dropped off my Mk III in Petaluma on Monday for service and Rhythm II mod.
1) What I thought was a Blk Stripe is apparently a Purple stripe.
What's the difference?
2) Having them go through the amp and do the R2 mod.
Any other mods I should have them look at? (60w no reverb, no EQ and already told them I don't want to add either of those). Not sure what else is available.
3) Was offered a fairly expensive upgrade to "Blue Dot" spec but not much explanation on what that really entails. Anybody know what that means?
Thx,
CPW

They can't just add on EQ and reverb. That would be major surgery.
It would be cheaper to find an amp already equipped that way.
Pedals in the loop'll do ya.
A black stripe is the earliest iteration. Purple was next.
Then red, then blue, then green.
What's a "Blue Dot"?

Mike just did my recently acquired purple stripe Mark III (fully loaded) as well. I just fired it up only yesterday. Mike can do a mod called the III+. He changes a bunch of components in the amp to more closely match the electronic values of the Mark IIc+. They are two different circuits and they will never be exactly the same amp but from what little I've played it, it is certainly more musical than when it left here. I have my Mark IIc+ 100 watt reverb no EQ no Simulclass right next to it for comparison.

Since he has it apart (or soon will be) you should talk to him about it. He also did the R2 mod as well, that definitely makes the second channel more usable.

After speaking to Mike B, I decided to do the III+ mod as well as complete re-cap, R2 Vol mod and general clean up. Should keep this old thing rocking' for may years to come.
=CPW=

Good for you. I am still waiting to get mine on a big stage to see how it competes with my Mark IIc+. At least in my little studio it sounds really great.

So the beast is back and sounding better than ever. The 3+ mod seems to have created a brighter, more "present" tone and though I've only tried it with two guitars so far ('61 SG RI & a tele w/ OG WRHB), it seems to have made the guitars volume and tone more "useable" in that many different settings still sound good.
Mike B did a great job documenting all the parts that were replaced and was very helpful in discussing options.
My advice: if you need a vintage Boogie serviced and have any way to get it to Petaluma... I'd be hesitant to have anyone else touch your amp.
Still some tube rolling and and other guitars to try with it (especially at volume), but so far so good.
=CPW=
PS I also have a Thiele cab that I used to only like for certain tones/channels because it seemed dark at times. The 3+ mod seems to have made that cab sound better in all modes so far. Bonus.

cpw said:
So the beast is back and sounding better than ever. The 3+ mod seems to have created a brighter, more "present" tone and though I've only tried it with two guitars so far ('61 SG RI & a tele w/ OG WRHB), it seems to have made the guitars volume and tone more "useable" in that many different settings still sound good.
Mike B did a great job documenting all the parts that were replaced and was very helpful in discussing options.
My advice: if you need a vintage Boogie serviced and have any way to get it to Petaluma... I'd be hesitant to have anyone else touch your amp.
Still some tube rolling and and other guitars to try with it (especially at volume), but so far so good.
=CPW=
PS I also have a Thiele cab that I used to only like for certain tones/channels because it seemed dark at times. The 3+ mod seems to have made that cab sound better in all modes so far. Bonus.

Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've thought about sending mine in to him for the exact same service and mods. Just out of curiousity, how much did it cost for the work and parts? Just curious what kind of price I might be looking at.

Latest posts

Back