• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Mk III purple stripe, some Mike B. mods, Canada

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoG

Reaction score
This amp is definitely for sale now.

These are pretty rare amps in Canada and this is a nice one. It's a loaded short head, Simul/Rev/EQ, with the power section modded by Mike B. in early 2008 to green stripe (pentode in outer socket) standards. Has the R2 and reverb mods, also done by Mike B.

Original headshell is a little beat, probably a 7/10, but it's a 24-year-old amp so what do you want.

I'd be looking for something in the neighbourhood of CA$900 depending on what power tubes you want, I have a few options available.

Canadian buyer preferred but will ship to US. If you live in the Bay Area I'll be in Oakland over Christmas and could bring it with me. I will email pics if you're seriously interested, I don't want to feed the scammers fresh pics.

No trades unless you're looking to get rid of a Roadster head, in which case I will obviously add cash.

did you send the amp away for Mike B to work on? or through a previous owner in the states..

Where in Canada are you located? A friend of mine might be interested in this head. He is located in Calgary.

I'm in Ottawa, but I'd be willing to ship. If your friend's seriously interested I have pics.

CoG said:
I'm in Ottawa, but I'd be willing to ship. If your friend's seriously interested I have pics.

I'm in ottawa actually, can this amp do metal on its own?

Depends. For modern metal bands it will definitely do anything you'd hear on an Isis record, for example, or something like The Secret or Rwake. It won't really do TR00 D3TH BR00T4LZ because it's not that compressed/chunky, the gain's there but the eq is wrong. If you're in Ottawa drop me an email, if you're serious you can come over and give it a test drive through my Recto 4x12 or you can bring your own cab.

CoG said:
Depends. For modern metal bands it will definitely do anything you'd hear on an Isis record, for example, or something like The Secret or Rwake. It won't really do TR00 D3TH BR00T4LZ because it's not that compressed/chunky, the gain's there but the eq is wrong. If you're in Ottawa drop me an email, if you're serious you can come over and give it a test drive through my Recto 4x12 or you can bring your own cab.

I'm thinking about selling my mesa boogie 5:25 express but I'm trying to figure out how the levels of gain compare at the moment. Would it be able to do dream theater ? I know john petrucci used mark IIC+ and mark IV amps on the last few records so I was curious as to if a mark III would suffice.

Yeah, it's got more gain than an express.

The III is definitely a metal amp, it's just not "extreme". There's more than enough gain to do that kind of stuff. I think the thing Petrucci-chasers find with the III is that it's not as compressed/"liquid" as a Mark IV or as "smooth" as a IIC+. It's really in-your-face.

CoG said:
Yeah, it's got more gain than an express.

The III is definitely a metal amp, it's just not "extreme". There's more than enough gain to do that kind of stuff. I think the thing Petrucci-chasers find with the III is that it's not as compressed/"liquid" as a Mark IV or as "smooth" as a IIC+. It's really in-your-face.

Ah cool, I'll do a bit more research on it then. Seems to be a very versatile amp. Would you just have a photo or two if possible?

Back