"Mk III pics" or "What's on my solder joints&

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phyrexia

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Here are some pictures of my Mark III.

chassislegs.jpg

gutshot.jpg

date1.jpg

date2.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this orangish crap on my solder joints is? It doesn't really look like rust but it is that color. It is on V1,2, and 3 joints also (as you may see in the pic) but moreso on v5.

markiiijunk.jpg

Ah. It alarmed me somewhat. I feel silly now.

How do you guys feel about that '94 date with a blue stripe on the back?

Hi,

Does your MKIII only have 2 output tubes? :shock:
Don't all mkIII have 4 outputs?

(And yes that orange stuff is flux.)

Russ said:
Guitarzan said:
That sir, would be flux.

Good call. Sure is kind of messy...

Looks like the tech used external fluxing. For this I would have used a lighter flux, perhaps water based. It can be cleaned with alcohol and some patience. It's not harming anything... Now on second glance, if you notice the resistors in the vicinity they are clean... It seems that the tube sockets may have been swapped by a DIY??? What do you think?

Russ said:
60's had 2. 100's [and simuls] had 4. Coliseums had 6.

Can heat turn flux that color? My V5 is the hottest of my preamp tubes, it seems. I guess it does the most, ultimately. I don't know everything about tube amps (obviously 8) )

Also, the flux is only on the preamp tube joints.

This amp has gone through at least three owners. It could have been worked on somewhere along the line but my friend who sold it to me didn't mention anything like that.

Guitarzan said:
Russ said:
Guitarzan said:
That sir, would be flux.

Good call. Sure is kind of messy...

Looks like the tech used external fluxing. For this I would have used a lighter flux, perhaps water based. It can be cleaned with alcohol and some patience. It's not harming anything... Now on second glance, if you notice the resistors in the vicinity they are clean... It seems that the tube sockets may have been swapped by a DIY??? What do you think?

That sounds about right

Boogiebabies said:
No reverb, no tube, no solder. Oh, no shirt, no shoes and no dice !!!

It was all done on a solder flow machine anyway. :D

I guess I missed that big first picture :shock: not even showing a socket for V4 nor RCA jacks. Now it all makes way more sense.

Guitarzan said:
Yeah...that's why I put the light bulb in my reply. It hit me when I read solder mask.

I know. Age and medication are terrible tandems for me. Personally, I've been like 10 second Tom for a few months. It's like early onset Alzheimers. I hate it, but at least I can sleep at night.

Boogiebabies said:
Guitarzan said:
Yeah...that's why I put the light bulb in my reply. It hit me when I read solder mask.

I know. Age and medication are terrible tandems for me. Personally, I've been like 10 second Tom for a few months. It's like early onset Alzheimers. I hate it, but at least I can sleep at night.

I simulate that effect on purpose quite frequently; 6 pints of peer and then a couple of shots of tequila. Makes me slow, and it let's me sleep easily. I can't play guitar for squat when in this condition. Oh well, you can't win on all fronts :D

There is a certain plant I am particularly fond of. 8) I know what you all are referring to.

We are all just members of the same club. Heh.

Latest posts

Back