MK-III or DC-5

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitardirky

Reaction score
Im looking to get another boogie and am looking for something with the 5 band option. I have not decided whether I want a combo or head. Im a blues/rock/country/jazz guitarist so what do you guys think? I own an express 5:50 head and work in music store that is a boogie dealer so ive got plenty of stuff to toy with.

Hmm well since i'm a DC-5 owner my answer is obviously biased!

I chose the DC-5 over the MkIII though because i liked the grittier, more ballsy tone of the DC-5. As for head vs. combo, i have the combo, but i actually much prefer the sound of the amp through a closed back cab. I play it through my Orange PPC112 at the moment which is loaded with a V30 and i like that more than the C90 for my style (indie rock/post hardcore stuff). It sounds punchier and much more defined through a closed back imo. I'm actually looking for a Thiele at the moment if i can get it at a good price!

I also own a DC-5, but I would take the MKIII, if only for the different power options, if you get Simul-Class.

I own both ...and HAVE to keep them both. They are just that good, but have a different enough voice that I can "justify" keeping both. There are threads comparing the two ...check out the archives. If I can give it to you in a nutshell:

- the DC5 has nice warm cleans, but always seems to have some hair around the edges; MKIII can stay spanky clean and LOUD. Much more clean headroom, but also cleans sound "bigger" and more SF Fendery.

- the DC5 OD is a bit smoother and modern; the MKIII is more rude and "in your face" in a great "classic rock" way, (funny my assessment is different from blacklight's. Different opinions, eh :) And the MKIII also has much more highs and "edge" on tap.

Both would be good for rock and blues, depending n how you dial them in. But if pressed and needing a "country clean" tone, the MKIII would get my nod. ...then go find a DC5 when you can ;)

Edward

i think ill try to track them both down eventually! i think ill either get a blue or green stripe Mk-III Head then from what you say but to be sure ill scan back and read some past threads tonight after work.

I'm suprised that no one asked what your preferred venue is ...

For live stuff with a modicum of effect's , the DC amp will rock the house .

So will the III + add R2

Do not expect to use it without a bit of Knaab twisting , though .

But finding someone at a music store that knows the mark three's
Power's and ability's . Lot's of luck man ..

It's like the Rosetta stone of tone . :D You have to work it out yourself .
Oh , and don't blow off a red stripe .
Ever notice how few are offered for sale ?

i dont tend to use effects much. nothing more than my crybaby straight into the head. ive yet to run into many vintage boogies at my store but we did have a mk-iv in about a year ago! its didnt last more than a few days obviously.

I can echo Edward's comments comparing lead channels, but my experience is the opposite for the rhythm channels: I've never found a big, punchy clean with my green stripe MkIII... it seems to go from wimpy to gritty with nothing in between.

The DC-5, on the other hand, has those big, punchy cleans that make me grin like an idiot every time! :D

edward said:
- the DC5 has nice warm cleans, but always seems to have some hair around the edges; MKIII can stay spanky clean and LOUD. Much more clean headroom, but also cleans sound "bigger" and more SF Fendery.

- the DC5 OD is a bit smoother and modern; the MKIII is more rude and "in your face" in a great "classic rock" way, (funny my assessment is different from blacklight's. Different opinions, eh :) And the MKIII also has much more highs and "edge" on tap.

Both would be good for rock and blues, depending n how you dial them in. But if pressed and needing a "country clean" tone, the MKIII would get my nod. ...then go find a DC5 when you can ;)

Edward

The clean channel on the DC-5 is my favourite thing about the amp. I do love the lead channel too though. Hmmm...

Ah screw it, i love everything about it! :lol:

Latest posts

Back